Space Mountain vs Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride

Better ride?

• Total voters

Disstevefan1

I have rode both. I am in the Mummy camp.

To me, Space mountain is a crude 70s indoor roller coaster. The rattles, scrapes and squeaks on space mountain, makes me feel like it's going to fall apart any minute.

The Mummy is an excellent blend of dark ride and thrill ride with extremely high quality theming in the ride as well as the queue.

That said, whenever I can, I ride both of these!

TP2000

I remember the Mummy ride being kind of cool with some neat effects, but also not quite good enough. And the effects were too visible, especially the end where you're in a room with smoke and stuff and the track pivots around beneath you.

What absolutely cracked me up and makes me remember the Mummy ride fondly is the ride operators there. Every time a coaster train pulls into the station they applaud, as if the riders have just done something brave or worthwhile. It's hysterical! And really kind of clever and sweet. But also hysterical.

The CM's at Space Mountain, on the other hand, have to be some of the dourest and grumpiest CM's on the planet. They scowl, they only speak in one-syllable sentences, they glare and point abruptly, they stare glumly into the middle distance while also looking right through you.

Oh, crap. Now that I just typed that out I want to go back and change my vote to the Mummy. :(

SuddenStorm

I remember the Mummy ride being kind of cool with some neat effects, but also not quite good enough. And the effects were too visible, especially the end where you're in a room with smoke and stuff and the track pivots around beneath you.

What absolutely cracked me up and makes me remember the Mummy ride fondly is the ride operators there. Every time a coaster train pulls into the station they applaud, as if the riders have just done something brave or worthwhile. It's hysterical! And really kind of clever and sweet. But also hysterical.

The CM's at Space Mountain, on the other hand, have to be some of the dourest and grumpiest CM's on the planet. They scowl, they only speak in one-syllable sentences, they glare and point abruptly, they stare glumly into the middle distance while also looking right through you.

Oh, crap. Now that I just typed that out I want to go back and change my vote to the Mummy. :(

I have to wonder if part of the way the Disneyland CM's act has to do with the way the ride operates- don't they have to keep the vehicles moving at a certain speed so the ride doesn't shut down?

PiratesMansion

I don't know if it's truly earned all the time, but I'd take Space Mountain (DL) over either Mummy.

The other thing I like about DL's Space Mountain is that it *feels* like a longer coaster than both Mummy rides. Probably because of the dark ride sections both of the Universal rides have, frankly. I like roller coasters AND dark rides but dang it, if you're a roller coaster, be a roller coaster. None of this hybrid nonsense, please. Pick a lane.

TP2000

I have to wonder if part of the way the Disneyland CM's act has to do with the way the ride operates- don't they have to keep the vehicles moving at a certain speed so the ride doesn't shut down?

Sure, I'm sure there's timing concerns to be had.

But if the timing concerns are so great that the Space Mountain CM's can't at least meet Disney's already lowered standards for customer service, something is very wrong.

So fix it. Either fix the ride system that turns previously sunshiny sweet CM's into such grumpy jerks, or fix the staffing logistics of the ride to allow the CM's to breathe a little and relax. Perhaps even smile?

smooch

I have only ridden The Mummy in Florida but I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was fun in the coaster section, the dark ride parts were interesting as well, though, almost like if Indiana Jones was a coaster system. That said I think I prefer the Disneyland version of Space Mountain. If it was the WDW Space Mountain it would be a much closer call but I enjoy the DL Space Mountain so much, I do think that's just some of my nostalgic bias coming into play. The Mummy is a more extreme coaster but the theming of the queue and the soundtrack and layout of Space Mountain in DL are so much fun to me.

truecoat

SM is better than the Mummy but the Florida Mummy is an awesome ride. I happened upon it with no line once and rode it 6 times in a row.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Really? I think SM in Disneyland is way better than in FL.

I realize it's a hot take, but I stand by it. The ride experience at Disneyland is certainly smoother, more comfortable, and better-themed (the soundtrack is great).

But as a coaster, it's almost entirely right turns! And it's too smooth, IMO. I prefer a coaster that throws you around and feels out of control (big Matterhorn fan). WDW's Space Mountain sort of feels like it's going to fall apart, and I love it. It also has 2-3 big drops toward the end of the ride, whereas Disneyland's has none. I also prefer the 1970s majesty-of-space aesthetic in the WDW queue over DL's cartoony space vibe.

truecoat

I realize it's a hot take, but I stand by it. The ride experience at Disneyland is certainly smoother, more comfortable, and better-themed (the soundtrack is great).

But as a coaster, it's almost entirely right turns! And it's too smooth, IMO. I prefer a coaster that throws you around and feels out of control (big Matterhorn fan). WDW's Space Mountain sort of feels like it's going to fall apart, and I love it. It also has 2-3 big drops toward the end of the ride, whereas Disneyland's has none. I also prefer the 1970s majesty-of-space aesthetic in the WDW queue over DL's cartoony space vibe.

With the constant welding and repairs, it is falling apart.

Rich T

I have rode both. I am in the Mummy camp.

To me, Space mountain is a crude 70s indoor roller coaster. The rattles, scrapes and squeaks on space mountain, makes me feel like it's going to fall apart any minute.

The Mummy is an excellent blend of dark ride and thrill ride with extremely high quality theming in the ride as well as the queue.

That said, whenever I can, I ride both of these!
You described the Florida Space Mtn., not the rebuilt and amazing Disneyland version.

PostScott

Everyone is saying how to UO version is far superior and extremely better than the USH version, but honestly the UO version isn't even that much better.

Both pretty much have the same introduction, both have dumb neon signs, both have the same launches, both have turntable track, etc

UO
- has updated screens
-has launched uplift section and ejector moment
- has the fire show scene

USH
- actually goes backward
- has bug scene in middle of ride
- "scary" ending

If it's up for debate though, I'd say USH is better for the sole reason that the backrests don't dig into your back aggressively. Seriously, that is an uncomfortable experience. However, SPM at DL is much better than both of them but that's just my opinion. Both attractions have a different purpose and have a different tone, it's kinda unfair to compare them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom