Space Mountain vs Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride

Better ride?

• Total voters

mickEblu

I realize it's a hot take, but I stand by it. The ride experience at Disneyland is certainly smoother, more comfortable, and better-themed (the soundtrack is great).

But as a coaster, it's almost entirely right turns! And it's too smooth, IMO. I prefer a coaster that throws you around and feels out of control (big Matterhorn fan). WDW's Space Mountain sort of feels like it's going to fall apart, and I love it. It also has 2-3 big drops toward the end of the ride, whereas Disneyland's has none. I also prefer the 1970s majesty-of-space aesthetic in the WDW queue over DL's cartoony space vibe.

How would you compare the drops on WDWs version to the one drop on Space? Well, being that you said DLs doesn’t have a drop I guess I have my answer. That little drop is the highlight for me. I have a feeling I’ll enjoy WDWs Space more.

D.Silentu

Interesting opinions about the Hollywood Mummy. Personally I could never get into it. It never felt quite up to snuff as a Universal equivalent to an E-ticket. When it debuted it was the first big attraction added on our coast after Islands Of Adventure opened in Florida. No reason Revenge Of The Mummy couldn't have been up to that standard and the quality gap is even more glaring these days. Not to mention that the park was satisfied with a lackluster replacement for the ride's original finale. I ride it because it's the only ride of its kind at Universal Hollywood, but it badly needs the same care that Jurassic Park received recently.

Last edited:

waltography

How would you compare the drops on WDWs version to the one drop on Space? Well, being that you said DLs doesn’t have a drop I guess I have my answer. That little drop is the highlight for me. I have a feeling I’ll enjoy WDWs Space more.
Disneyland's little drop is fun. It was the highlight of the (good but overplayed) Hyperspace overlay because they used that drop to simulate a near-miss with a TIE fighter, which was a very good effect.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

The drops are honestly pretty small, but in the darkness they're unexpected and feel substantial. I think the single-file cars and dinky T-shape lap bar augment the thrill factor. You get some decent ejector air.

I know the moment you're referring to in Disneyland's Space, and it's great, but I wouldn't even really consider it a drop.

The largest drop takes place at about 1:50 in this lights-on video (spoilers, obviously -- watch only if interested):

CaptinEO

I realize it's a hot take, but I stand by it. The ride experience at Disneyland is certainly smoother, more comfortable, and better-themed (the soundtrack is great).

But as a coaster, it's almost entirely right turns! And it's too smooth, IMO. I prefer a coaster that throws you around and feels out of control (big Matterhorn fan). WDW's Space Mountain sort of feels like it's going to fall apart, and I love it. It also has 2-3 big drops toward the end of the ride, whereas Disneyland's has none. I also prefer the 1970s majesty-of-space aesthetic in the WDW queue over DL's cartoony space vibe.
100% agree with you, as does my wife. DL Space Mountain is sanitized of personality and boring with its track layout.

macefamily

If you like a coaster that knocks you around, I must insist you try the Velocicoaster at Universal Florida. It took me an hour to recover after getting off that ride. I felt like I was beat up. When my daughter got off she was light headed for a half hour. It is intense !

mickEblu

The drops are honestly pretty small, but in the darkness they're unexpected and feel substantial. I think the single-file cars and dinky T-shape lap bar augment the thrill factor. You get some decent ejector air.

I know the moment you're referring to in Disneyland's Space, and it's great, but I wouldn't even really consider it a drop.

The largest drop takes place at about 1:50 in this lights-on video (spoilers, obviously -- watch only if interested):

So you have me thinking I’ll prefer Space at WDW until you compare it to the Matterhorn. If the ride experience is anything like Matterhorn I’m sure I’ll prefer DLs Space. Unless of course your just saying that because of the single file ride vehicle and the fact that its just obviously a rougher experience that DLs Space. The only reason I ride Matterhorn is because it’s a wonderful little nostalgic romp through the mountain and Fantasyland. If you put that experience in a dark warehouse it wouldn’t be worth it for me unless its thrilling enough course. I don’t go on Matterhorn for thrills.

DavidDL

The CM's at Space Mountain, on the other hand, have to be some of the dourest and grumpiest CM's on the planet. They scowl, they only speak in one-syllable sentences, they glare and point abruptly, they stare glumly into the middle distance while also looking right through you.

During my time as a CM, I came up with a totally scientific, indisputable mathematic discovery:

sciene.png

It's totally legit. When hired in, they asked me where I wanted to work and I just said, "Anything but Winnie the Pooh". So they gave me Splash. By the end of my time with the resort, you wouldn't get me to staff Splash even with a gun to my head. All I wanted was Pooh shifts.

Anyways, back on topic.. I'd say Space, overall. I love Mummy. But it's absurdly short and the ending leaves much to be desired. I guess it depends on the wait times? If both rides have no one in line for them, then maybe I'd lean towards Mummy for time waited vs. ride experience/ride time? I'm not sure. I just know that if I had to spare one of them, it would end up being Space, all things considered.

truecoat

Several years ago, I rode 20+ rides between DCA and DL. My last ride was SM in the front seat. It was the first time in the front seat and the best ride at the end of a very long day.

Professortango1

Everyone is saying how to UO version is far superior and extremely better than the USH version, but honestly the UO version isn't even that much better.

Both pretty much have the same introduction, both have dumb neon signs, both have the same launches, both have turntable track, etc

UO
- has updated screens
-has launched uplift section and ejector moment
- has the fire show scene

USH
- actually goes backward
- has bug scene in middle of ride
- "scary" ending

If it's up for debate though, I'd say USH is better for the sole reason that the backrests don't dig into your back aggressively. Seriously, that is an uncomfortable experience. However, SPM at DL is much better than both of them but that's just my opinion. Both attractions have a different purpose and have a different tone, it's kinda unfair to compare them.

USO also has multiple Imhotep animatronics, features the fake out scene, has great use of fog effects, and features actual drops and lifts. The drop into the hellish geyser filled ending is such a fun moment.

USH's version is a ride I sometimes ride. USO's version is a ride I ride multiple times per day.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

If you like a coaster that knocks you around, I must insist you try the Velocicoaster at Universal Florida. It took me an hour to recover after getting off that ride. I felt like I was beat up. When my daughter got off she was light headed for a half hour. It is intense !

I've heard it's fantastic. Can't wait to get back to IOA. I can definitely see how that thing feels out of control; it's just element after element and never lets up.

In the context of Matterhorn and WDW's Space Mountain, however, I meant "throws you around" more to mean a coaster that's rough and not quite functioning as intended, perhaps causing riders slight back pain for the remainder of the day. I'm going to assume that's not how you'd characterize Velocicoaster, which I've heard is shockingly smooth.

I find myself somewhat bored by most coasters these days; perversely I've come to really enjoy any ride that is a little violent and maybe has an element of "a chunk of fake rock might break off from this 1950s mountain and crush me" danger to it.

mickEblu

Several years ago, I rode 20+ rides between DCA and DL. My last ride was SM in the front seat. It was the first time in the front seat and the best ride at the end of a very long day.

Yea Space Mountain front row is at least 5x as fun a ride as any other row. The wind you feel in your face is a game changer. I always ask for the front row.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

So you have me thinking I’ll prefer Space at WDW until you compare it to the Matterhorn. If the ride experience is anything like Matterhorn I’m sure I’ll prefer DLs Space. Unless of course your just saying that because of the single file ride vehicle and the fact that its just obviously a rougher experience that DLs Space. The only reason I ride Matterhorn is because it’s a wonderful little nostalgic romp through the mountain and Fantasyland. If you put that experience in a dark warehouse it wouldn’t be worth it for me unless its thrilling enough course. I don’t go on Matterhorn for thrills.

Haha. WDW's Space is a considerably more enjoyable experience than Matterhorn. The two are comparable for the reasons you've cited as well as for their bizarre and unpredictable layouts, however Space feels legitimately satisfying as a thrill ride (as opposed to the Matterhorn, the layout to which Bob Gurr seemingly made up as he went along). I love Matterhorn for its kitsch value and find it enjoyable, but I agree that indoors and in darkness it wouldn't be the most fun ride.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

USO also has multiple Imhotep animatronics, features the fake out scene, has great use of fog effects, and features actual drops and lifts. The drop into the hellish geyser filled ending is such a fun moment.

USH's version is a ride I sometimes ride. USO's version is a ride I ride multiple times per day.

Agreed.

Is Orlando's ROTM the ultimate "so bad it's good" ride? The plot is incomprehensible, the script is beyond-belief cheesy, the scarab beetle screen is pathetic, and the Brendan Fraser coffee ending is nonsensical even by Universal's standards. Yet the coaster itself is so, so fun, the Imhotep AAs are excellent (when working), and the use of fire in the fake-unload is probably unmatched by any attraction anywhere.

It rips off the Indiana Jones Adventure quite a bit and yet... honestly I might regard them as equals. ROTM is trashy and sloppy but just packs such a punch.

Last edited:

Centauri Space Station

Matterhorn is a rough back breaking experience. WDW SM is rough but nowhere near as awful

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Both attractions have a different purpose and have a different tone, it's kinda unfair to compare them.
They are both very similar as they are thrilling, indoor roller coasters in the dark with special effects. It’s absolutely necessary to compare them.

You sir, nailed it. 👏

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom