Space Mountain updates!!?!?!?

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by ogryn
Similar to Paris.... maybe (not all coasters have to have inversions to be good)
Track by Vekoma.... hell no. Note to Disney, Vekoma's are cheaper for a reason, the ride quality goes pear shape after about 5 years. Dish out the extra money, and get some track that will last for 20+, in a good condition.

I have no problem with Vekomas. The problems with them usually result from poor maintenance. RnRC is well maintained, and as of yesterday was running smooth as silk. Probably the only other options for them to use are Intamin or Premier for an indoor launched coaster.
Space Mtn. in Paris was great in the beginning, but has gotten rough due to lack of proper upkeep. Plus, last I saw, the cannon wasn't working properly, the smoke didn't work, and the exterior was in need of refurb. That's no way to treat a world class ride.

As far as inversions...
not all coasters have to have them to be good, true....but Space Mountain needs them.
Space Mountain is an icon. Mention the name almost anywhere, and people associate it with being a world class coaster. It's not.
It needs to live up to it's reputation as the ultimate in coaster thrills.

Oh, and Shaq did ride Space Mountain. And he still has his head to show for it.

ogryn

My Vekoma Experiences....

Goudrix @ Parc Astrix : Rough As Hell
SM: DLP : Rough As Hell

R n' RC @ DLPS : Smooth (Best Vekoma I've Ridden)
R 'n RC @ MGM : Smooth
(Both the above were fairly new though when I rode them.)

Thunder Mountain @ Various : Smooth-ish

Vampire @ Chessington (Built By Arrow, Refurb totally screwed up by Vekoma)

So, it is very hit and miss. I did read somewhere that new Vekoma's will have their side wheels running on the outside of the track like Intamin and B+M, to increase smoothness.

stingrock23

I like WDW's version of Space Mountain. Sure, there aren't any inversions, or catapaulting starts, but it's fast and quick enough. And if i'm not mistaken, isn't the Magic Kingdom for children? I really like Space Mountain because it's fun for adults and kids alike. I hope it stays just the way it is, with maybe some music added, but no track changes.

Disneyland's Space Mountain is getting it's track replaced because there was structural damage, and it needed to be replaced. Plus it was cheaper since Disney already had to buy a track for Hong Kong DL, so they bought an identical layout to be put into DL.

Another thing is that more money goes to wdw because it's more of a tourist destination. You would think it should be the other way around because Disneyland is much older and should need repairs and/or upgrades sooner than the newer wdw, but for some reason it doesn't work that way.

Swagger

Space by now is a big hunk of crap. Please rip it out and add a launch and a few inversion. I don't care by who...just do it! DL's was already better in every way except seating. So what do they do? They improve it. Give us anything!

Vekomas are great is maintained right. Maybe build a Premeir though. Give it a modern Space theme maybe with the launch going up a hill into a barrel roll. THen curl down around the mountain into the next inversion. COntinue with an idea like that and maybe even add lap bars. :) If any of you had ridden Space DLP opening day or year...you would agree it is the best mountain. But it does need help now. However...I would take DLP's in even worse shape then now over our WDW Space.

Figment1986

I have stayed away from this too long,

I am a thrill rider, my sister hates thrill rides,

I love inversions; my sister has only been on one coaster with inversions (Kumba) and hated it.

We both however enjoy Space Mountain due to it has elements without the inversions but keeps it's thrill and the fact it has the 2 tracks.

If they rehabbed it and added inversions that would take away, they have an indoor coaster with inversions already.

Just replace the track, change the layout but keep it nice for kids or people who hate inversions happy....

(Oh and some new special effects like updating the lift hill would make it even more fun by tricking your senses into thinking you are going even faster when you are not…)

Swagger

Okay how about something like this? It has no inversions for all the wimps in the world :animwink: but it still has enough thrill and craziness to satisfy me any day. Maybe even add more effects. Or better yet, two in one building. Perhaps a less intense version and a more intense version. I still want the DLP version more then anything though. Also down here in one link is a pic. of the layout, it's in a sphere almost completely like Spaceship Earth. But ignore that and just look at the layout.

http://www.m.sheen.dial.pipex.com/coasterkingdom/html/eurosat_main.htm

http://www.fgeibel.de/coasters/Europapark/Serie1/pic8.html

disneyisbest

Originally posted by PeterAlt
For example, Tower of Tower (opened less than 10 years ago) has had four updates so far, Test Track has had at least one update, and Alien Encounters is already being replaced.

Alien Encounter has been in place for 8 years now. I can't think of many attractions(besides Walt's originals)that have lasted that long without at least an update of some kind. The only one of Walt's attractions that has been touched that comes to mind is The Tiki Room. However I do not agree with the replacement of Alien Encounter. It is the nature of the beast so to speak.

stingrock23

I don't want the DLP version here. Isn't that basically what we have in Rock n Roller Coaster? That would be like having the same ride in 2 parks.

I like the track the way it is. I always enjoy myself on Space Mountain, even though I enjoy all the newer, larger, and faster coasters that are popping up.

The only thing they should add is a soundtrack. I think that would make WDW's Space Mountain much better.

Swagger

Remember, DLP Resort only has two parks. At the MK they have the good Space Mountain. AT WDS they have an RnRC. If they have two very similar rides in each of their only 2 parks then why can't we have similar rides in 2 parks our of 4?

disneyisbest

Well we have the same type ride in the same park(Dumbo and Aladdin). I guess you could say that the Astro Orbiter is like that too only high up.

TLS

Originally posted by TimeTrip
Your hands will be "chopped off" at least twice (excluding the tunnels) on the right side if you keep them straight up.

WHAT???

I've ridden coasters all up and down the Eastern coast. From kiddie coasters to Mega Coasters. NOT Once Have I personally or heard of anyone EVER being able to contact overhead objects with their hands when properly seated in the car.

I could see where a 7+ foot tall person MAY be able to do this, but if it WAS possible to TOUCH at Space Mountain, don't you think we'd hear of this, and the ride would be closed?

I and MANY others ride ALL coasters with my arms FULLY extended the ENTIRE TIME. There's always been at LEAST 1-2 FEET clearance between my fingertips and ANY possibe point of contact on just about every coaster I've ridden.

I've ridden Space Mountain at least 15 times with my last time being 1994, so its not as "FRESH" as other coasters, but.....come on now! I was born at night.....:rolleyes:

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Originally posted by TLS
NOT Once Have I personally or heard of anyone EVER being able to contact overhead objects with their hands when properly seated in the car.

I don't know about the rest of the ride, but it doesn't take any effort at all to touch the tops of the blue and red tunnels.

TLS

I realize "SPEED" is only about 28 mph, so maybe there are regulations that go into effect above certain speeds?

space3.jpg

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Yeah, you're going pretty quick (as far as this ride goes). Touching the tunnels really can't hurt you unless your fingers run over a bit of cracked plastic or something. I'd be more afraid of trying to touch other part of the structure, simply because I wouldn't be able to see what I would be touching. I've never tried to touch anything other than the tunnels, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is possible.

stingrock23

Originally posted by disneyisbest
stingrock23 your avatar trips me out.:lol: That is one of the best skits they have ever done on SNL.:lol:

I gotta have more cowbell, baby!

Even if it is possible to touch things while riding Space Mountain, there's no way i'm going to even try doing that. I'd like to keep my hands.

I've never been on DLP's Space Mountain, so maybe I'm biased against it. But I just think WDW's track should stay the same. Perhaps it will be replaced in the future, but i hope it doesn't.

disneyisbest

There are some thing that just need to be left alone and Space Mountain is one of them. We already have a launch coaster at WDW. I personally like the old style coasters as well as the new. I would hate to see another replaced.

LadyDarling

What's all this Disneyland Space Mt. bashing?
I'm of the opinion that Space Mt. in Disneyland far out plays the left track on WDW's Space moutain. I like the seating in WDW, but it's just, well, close to boring. It's not enclosed (you can see the line area at one point), so the "space" effect isn't as complete engulfing as it is in Disneyland. I do like the right track in WDW better than the Left, and I think a combination of the right track and the Disneyland enclosed area would be awesome.

Then again, I like the Disneyland Pirate's FAR better than WDW's. WDW's does have a few cool scenes, and if they once again combined the best aspects of the two, you could count me in! Other wise, WDW's ride is too short and there is too much "space" where nothing is going on in between scenes. Also, there it seems smaller. The scenes don't seem as deep (except for the last one), but then again, it's been a year since I've been there! Maybe my memory is foggy.

BUT! I'm still going on BOTH of those rides when I go to WDW (11/30 - 12/06):sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom