Space Mountain. - Too much turbulence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramerica

Original Poster
I LOVE Space Mountain. Don't get me wrong. One of my favorite rides in all of Disney by far. But nobody will deny. Even if you know the track and can lean into the turns, it's a jerky, whiplash filled, gonad slapping adventure. My mom refuses to even go on it, it gives her a headache.. Would you be in support of replacing the track and making it a bit less.. Painful? Besides, I always imagined space travel to be smooth anyway.

spock

I totally agree with Kramerica. A ride set in space should be a smooth ride. I'm sure that in 1975, Space Mountain was considered cutting edge and was a very smooth ride compared to most rollercoasters at the time (most of which were still wooden rollercoasters, which are rougher rides). But with today's ride technology, it could use some improvements.

whitethunder

I suppose it depends what part of space flight your in! Take off isn't so great, astronauts didn't get a smooth ride until main engine cutoff, during a space shuttle flight...

Todd H

It was way too painful the last time I rode it. Don't think I'd ever ride it again unless they gave it a refurb and smoothed things out.

Lee

Adventurer
It's horrible. Far too rough. Makes it feel cheap and old.
I ride it only occasionally nowadays.

Now, had it received the refurb it deserved...

Californian Elitist

I LOVE Space Mountain. Don't get me wrong. One of my favorite rides in all of Disney by far. But nobody will deny. Even if you know the track and can lean into the turns, it's a jerky, whiplash filled, gonad slapping adventure. My mom refuses to even go on it, it gives her a headache.. Would you be in support of replacing the track and making it a bit less.. Painful? Besides, I always imagined space travel to be smooth anyway.

Come to Disneyland, ours is very smooth, and even faster I heard.

docandsix

Here we go again...

It's horrible. Far too rough. Makes it feel cheap and old.
I ride it only occasionally nowadays.

Now, had it received the refurb it deserved...

Absolutely. I'll take it one step further and say that I'll never ride it again unless one of my kids needs or asks for a partner. It's painfully bumpy and remarkably poorly themed or executed compared to the excellent Disneyland version.

As it now stands, I consider it a tremendous waste of Tomorrowland space and I'll walk right past every time.

Mr_Incredible

A lot of old people in this thread it seems :zipit::lookaroun

I love the herky-jerky feel of the ride. Maybe a bit of sprucing up would be cool, but it's my all-time favorite ride. It FEELS like Magic Kingdom to me. I have not been on the DisneyLand version, so I cannot compare, if they made it smoother (AND faster :king: ) I would be all for that, but if they keep it how it is, I am fine as well. Love the ride, and love the darkness, the unknown, the mystery to it. You never know whats coming.....

I dunno count me in as neutral on an extensive refurb, but I love it regardless!

Just don't close it down till at least October 2012 :lookaroun

Mickey_777

SM can be a tad rough. I wonder if ALL the track has to be replaced in order for the ride to be more pleasant? But if you find Space Mountain to be uncomfortable then never get on the Matterhorn out at DL. You'll literally get off with multiple bruises.

rufio

I would LOVE it if they would make Space Mountain more smooth. I always get a headache on this one and on RnRC.

rsoxguy

I ride Space Mountain every time that I enter the Magic Kingdom. I enjoy the ride each time. With that said, I believe that the arcade at the end of the attraction should be replaced with a chiropractor's office. Oh, and a masseuse. Yes, the track should be replaced. Now.

the-reason14

I think its a bit bumpy, but at the same time its not that bad. I don't get how people can call it bumpy but then get on rockin coaster. To me that's worse! And Disneylands is smooth. I'd recommend that one if you want a smooth ride and want to be put to sleep of boredom.

bethymouse

All are "bumpy"

It seems that all of the coasters @ Disney are quite "bumpy" except for EE!:)
The coasters are "classics" and many coaster enthusiasts love the feeling of being "jerked around"!
I personally love the ride, but it's not my kids' favorite because of the "noise", but they're only 7 yrs old!:shrug: I actually love the "take off" part!:)
BTMRR is also a classic w/ its turns and "air time".
RnRC is a newer technology and I love the "take off" @ 60mph!:) But, it is a bit rough as well, and way too short!:(
PW @ AK is a typical "mouse trap" sort of feel to it. I like it, but some hate it!
All in all, I guess I wish WDW had more coasters.
I am getting older and sometimes get headaches, but I deall w/ it!:)
Love it, or hate it, SM is a classic! Don't change it!:animwink:

Animaniac93-98

But if you find Space Mountain to be uncomfortable then never get on the Matterhorn out at DL. You'll literally get off with multiple bruises.

I'm wondering if after this year's rehab and train replacement will this still be the case to the same extent?

WDW's SM is rough, has effects that need to be replaced, but it's still better than the SM at DL. I thought CS was better, even if it's not very "Disney" in execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom