Space Mountain Ride w/Lights On

Walt Disney1955

Oh yeah, I think a lot of us have seen it. I saw it once, and didn't want the illusion ruined for me anymore. Space Mountain goes 28mph but with it pitch black and the sensation of the stars going past you it seems like it is going faster. But the lights on, and it isn't a whole lot scarier than an extended version of the Barnstormer.

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Oh yeah, I think a lot of us have seen it. I saw it once, and didn't want the illusion ruined for me anymore. Space Mountain goes 28mph but with it pitch black and the sensation of the stars going past you it seems like it is going faster. But the lights on, and it isn't a whole lot scarier than an extended version of the Barnstormer.
I kind of figured; just wanted to make sure or in case anyone missed it.

Ha, yeah... With the lights off it's a whole different experience for sure. Especially through the tunnel where the sound and lights amplify the effect.

Surfin' Tuna

When I rode it as part of a special event with the lights on the first time I sure thought I was something special - although I still can't raise my hands on the ride. Now it's common place for the lights to be burning and no one cares about the time we rode it with the lights on. To get attention now, I tell people I rode it when it was smooth and didn't beat you half to death. No one believes me, though :(

JohnD

With the lights on, it confirms its pretty much a clittity clack roller coaster. When Tron opens, they should just close SM for refurbishment, tear out the entire track and rebuild from the ground up. Anyone have a comparison DL SM with lights on?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With the lights on, it confirms its pretty much a clittity clack roller coaster. When Tron opens, they should just close SM for refurbishment, tear out the entire track and rebuild from the ground up. Anyone have a comparison DL SM with lights on?
There’s loads of DL. Take a look at post 2005 for the new track.

justintheharris

I feel like that sounds like a good idea but Disney would find a way to mess it up (Journey Into Imagination I think should be the only example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"). So perhaps they could just add new effects and somehow speed up the ride (Although without altering the track I understand the possibility is limited with that if it even exists at all).

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Very cool! Thank you for sharing!

Cracks me up at like 2:18 and on there's some work stuff sitting there casually like you're in a home depot warehouse

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

When I rode it as part of a special event with the lights on the first time I sure thought I was something special - although I still can't raise my hands on the ride. Now it's common place for the lights to be burning and no one cares about the time we rode it with the lights on. To get attention now, I tell people I rode it when it was smooth and didn't beat you half to death. No one believes me, though :(
That must have been a long time ago, because I rode it in the 80's and it liked to jossel my insides out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom