Space mountain rehab...?

BwanaBob

I hear everything that all of you are saying.

I completely understand what you are trying to convey.

I don't think, and no-one can predict, that just because an attraction like SM is down at WDW, that you will have this flood-water syndrome where everyone overpowers the other attractions.
I also don't think that by closing down an attraction like SM changes the viewpoint of people thinking anything less of the park.

I understand your viewpoint. The attraction holds 'x' amount of guests at any given time, therefore reducing traffic in the park. I get it.

I'm saying, at WDW, there's more to do.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
BwanaBob said:
I'm saying, at WDW, there's more to do.

You can't take it as WDW vs DLR. Its MK vs DL. And at DL, theres more to do. Thats why they could survive Space being closed.

BwanaBob said:
I don't think, and no-one can predict, that just because an attraction like SM is down at WDW, that you will have this flood-water syndrome where everyone overpowers the other attractions.

Oh, but it does. You've never been to MK on a peak season day where Space goes 101? Splash and BTMR are instantly backed up with long enough lines to stop people from queuing up.

BwanaBob said:
I also don't think that by closing down an attraction like SM changes the viewpoint of people thinking anything less of the park.

Ok, here's a scenario. You are a family that goes to WDW once every five years or so. Disney has announced that Space will be closed for the year you are planning to go. It is one of your family's favorite rides. Would you postpone your trip until Space reopens? Probably. However, if they built a new E-Ticket before it opened, say "Harry Potter's Villian and Bald Mountain featuring Indiana Jones Adventures in Beastly Kingdom", and that ride would be open while Space was closed, you would be less likely to postpone your trip.

Lee

Adventurer
JimboJones123 said:
-- so if they aren't going to do a drastic change to the ride -- why shut it down for 2+ years???

So that nobody gets killed when the old, neglected track falls apart.

Seriously.

BwanaBob

Thrawn,
I apologize I don't necessarily see it the same way you do.

It's an opinion.

I'm done. I've got to go get ready for a hurricane. :rolleyes:

Maybe sometime in the future we could meet and have a real conversation. I hate computers/e-mail/chat-rooms because a lot of what people say gets mis-interpreted.

Later, dude.

Shaman

Lee said:
At WDW?
Well...yeah, no doubt.:rolleyes:

The question is...will they ever...:brick:

Personally I think WDW's Tomorrowland needs some work....probably re-work the theme...add some elements...destroy the speedway and make way for a cool ride (thats not only aimed at kids)...:lookaroun....I really like the look of DLP's SM...that would add a lot to the TL atmosphere...they have the space at WDW...*sigh*

Rosso11

I've been on Disneyland's SM a few times now and sure its better, but honestly, its not worth dumping all of that money into SM if thats all were going to get. Ours can be improved by adding new effects without entirely changing the track. The cost would be extremly limited. They need to build a new E-ticket at MK. Don't waste the money on this. Its just not worth it.

Lee

Adventurer
Rosso11 said:
I've been on Disneyland's SM a few times now and sure its better, but honestly, its not worth dumping all of that money into SM if thats all were going to get.

But, as I was saying earlier, that is not ALL DL got for their millions and 2 years. They replaced an old, neglected, DANGEROUS track with a new, smooth state of the art one. The effects, music, etc, is just a side benefit.

JimboJones123

Lee said:
So that nobody gets killed when the old, neglected track falls apart.

Seriously.

Because roller coasters fall apart all the time -- it's not even a WOODY -- and sees no weather. -- rehab is one thing -- but rebuild is something else entirely..

Thrawn

Account Suspended
JimboJones123 said:
Because roller coasters fall apart all the time -- it's not even a WOODY -- and sees no weather. -- rehab is one thing -- but rebuild is something else entirely..

Disney coasters have many millions more ride them then any other coaster.

Plus, you need to trust Lee.

Empress Room

JimboJones123 said:
My parents just visited the new SPACE MOUNTIAN at DL -- They and my cousin who is a CM there both said "no big whoop" /QUOTE]

Wow. Your parents and your cousin are a tough sell. Having just experienced SM at DL this past August, I must say that the extensive rehab was well worth the two-year wait. The new track, disorientation tunnel, re-entry and audio system makes it an experience that SM at WDW could only hope to have. Honestly, as much as I like WDW's version, it will be difficult for me to enjoy it in its current state having compared it with DL's much superior version. WDW SM should be so lucky...

Lynx04

BwanaBob said:
Yes.

They also have less land. W/ exception to the bobsleds, Roger Rabbit, Alice, Pinocchio, and Storybook land, WDW has everything else.
Just not all in the same park.

We still have Wed-way...er...I mean TTA. They have.... empty track all over the place.
I still say advantage- Orlando.

But I digress.

I wasn't saying one park is better then the other, my point was to point out that DL park has more attractions in the single park compared with MK. If MK removes a major ride for an extended rehab that has a stronger impact because there is only two other thrill attraction in MK. DL has 6 rides that could be considered thrill, while MK only has 3.

Lee

Adventurer
JimboJones123 said:

Trust me on this (thanks Thrawn)....
Space Mountain at DL had become unsafe.
From what I've been told, without going into too much detail, is that they narrowly avoided a mishap that would have made what happened on their BTM look like a fender-bender.

WDW's SM isn't in such bad shape, it's just annoyingly rough, and weakly themed. It needs a refurb for purely aesthetic reasons.

ScrapIron

Lee said:
Trust me on this (thanks Thrawn)....
Space Mountain at DL had become unsafe.
From what I've been told, without going into too much detail, is that they narrowly avoided a mishap that would have made what happened on their BTM look like a fender-bender.

WDW's SM isn't in such bad shape, it's just annoyingly rough, and weakly themed. It needs a refurb for purely aesthetic reasons.
I'll jump in to second the accuracy of that. Although the rehab had been scheduled, an issue came up that required shutting it down immediately without warning ahead of schedule.

Cheers.

wdwishes2005

Thrawn said:
say "Harry Potter's Villian and Bald Mountain featuring Indiana Jones Adventures in Beastly Kingdom", and that ride would be open while Space was closed, you would be less likely to postpone your trip.

ROFL....

WOW lee, i had no idea, i guess that must have been covered up pretty well, random guess, the cars could have come off the track resulting in them flying into the ground?

Lee

Adventurer
wdwishes2005 said:
WOW lee, i had no idea, i guess that must have been covered up pretty well, random guess, the cars could have come off the track resulting in them flying into the ground?

Something like that, yes.:eek:

tirian

As an MK CM, I feel that I should explain why someone told you about Space Mountain. More than likely, the CM thought he or she was telling you the truth. In July, a very strong rumor was going around in Tomorrowland that our Space Mtn. was soon going to get a full refurb like Disneyland's. As a matter of fact, on the day that Disneyland's SM reopened, our cast portal (a Disney-only intranet) included a brief statement that our SM would go down soon, too. Furthermore, a test with a side-by-side rocket like Disneyland's SM uses strengthened the rumor.

The refurb, which was supposed to start sometime in October, never happened. The little blurb was taken off the portal the next day.

Thus, whoever told you that SM was going down soon probably told you in good faith...but was wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom