Space mountain rehab...?

DisneyDOG

Original Poster
When I was last at Disney World, a CM told my wife and I that there was a good possibility that Space Mountain would be shut down to go through its first renovation since it opened up. Has anyone heard anything like this? Will Space Mountain be available to ride in March '06.

I am new to posting here. I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past. Thanks for all the information you all provide.

wdwishes2005

DisneyDOG said:
When I was last at Disney World, a CM told my wife and I that there was a good possibility that Space Mountain would be shut down to go through its first renovation since it opened up. Has anyone heard anything like this? Will Space Mountain be available to ride in March '06.

I am new to posting here. I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past. Thanks for all the information you all provide.

take everything CMs say with a pinch of salt.

as for the '06 thing, nothing is certain at WDW.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
DisneyDOG said:

Space has been through countless rehabs. Any rehab would be far from the first.
March is a pretty busy time, so they will not have it down for rehab then.

Lynx04

Space Mountain has been renovated a few times in the past. Up-keep mostly, but I think the point you mean is a something along the line of SM in DL. I don't think that SM will get the gut and remake like DL's SM until after the next E-ticket is added. MK doesn't have the amount of E-Tickets DL has in the park. After creating a new E-ticket that will draw people, it won't be as strong a hit on the park. But that is just my opinion.

nemobruce

A friend just got back from Disney a few weeks ago and took the keys to the kingdom tour. He was told by the tour guide of the up coming rehab of pirates and he was also told that with the continuing problems with Peter Pan it may get the rehab before pirates, and that there where talks about a rehab of Space but nothing set in stone.

bgraham34

Lynx04 said:
Space Mountain has been renovated a few times in the past. Up-keep mostly, but I think the point you mean is a something along the line of SM in DL. I don't think that SM will get the gut and remake like DL's SM until after the next E-ticket is added. MK doesn't have the amount of E-Tickets DL has in the park. After creating a new E-ticket that will draw people, it won't be as strong a hit on the park. But that is just my opinion.

I can see that.

JimboJones123

My parents just visited the new SPACE MOUNTIAN at DL -- They and my cousin who is a CM there both said "no big whoop" -- so if they aren't going to do a drastic change to the ride -- why shut it down for 2+ years??? Put in a new ride instead. so it turns twice left before turning right now instead of once left -- who cares -- its still dark -- and still a roller coaster...

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
my grandfather that worked for The Birmingham News for 50 years always said......... "Believe nothing that you hear, and half of what you read/see"

so, anything a CM tells you........ like said before, take it with a grain of salt

EpcotGrl

JimboJones123 said:
My parents just visited the new SPACE MOUNTIAN at DL -- They and my cousin who is a CM there both said "no big whoop" -- so if they aren't going to do a drastic change to the ride -- why shut it down for 2+ years??? Put in a new ride instead. so it turns twice left before turning right now instead of once left -- who cares -- its still dark -- and still a roller coaster...

Wow, I was honestly impressed with the DL SM...granted it was my first time riding it, but it seemed MUCH improved over the WDW version... The ride was smoother, it was phenomenal having a soundtrack blast me off via the headrests, and I *LOVED* the dark/stars, which seemed much more noticeable/neat than at WDW. Just my thought, but I really REALLY wouldn't mind having them shut down SM at the World for a while if that was the result :sohappy:

BwanaBob

JimboJones123 said:
I JUST got back from DL.

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference.

May I suggest you don't comdemn the attraction untill you have been on it yourself.

BwanaBob

Lynx04 said:
What are these other 'e-ticket' attractions at DL that you speak of?

I only know of 1 additional.

BwanaBob

Yes.

They also have less land. W/ exception to the bobsleds, Roger Rabbit, Alice, Pinocchio, and Storybook land, WDW has everything else.
Just not all in the same park.

We still have Wed-way...er...I mean TTA. They have.... empty track all over the place.
I still say advantage- Orlando.

But I digress.

JimboJones123

EpcotGrl said:
Wow, I was honestly impressed with the DL SM...granted it was my first time riding it, but it seemed MUCH improved over the WDW version... The ride was smoother, it was phenomenal having a soundtrack blast me off via the headrests, and I *LOVED* the dark/stars, which seemed much more noticeable/neat than at WDW. Just my thought, but I really REALLY wouldn't mind having them shut down SM at the World for a while if that was the result :sohappy:

the audio has been there for a while now -- AND IT'S AWESOME , but was the extra 2 years of no ride for extra stars ?? no

Thrawn

Account Suspended
BwanaBob said:
Yes.

They also have less land. W/ exception to the bobsleds, Roger Rabbit, Alice, Pinocchio, and Storybook land, WDW has everything else.
Just not all in the same park.

We still have Wed-way...er...I mean TTA. They have.... empty track all over the place.
I still say advantage- Orlando.

But I digress.

Thats not the point. They have everything in one park, so people that go to the park have something to ride if Space is closed. Not the case with MK. The rides in other parks don't help, because they are in other parks.

BwanaBob

Thrawn said:
Thats not the point. They have everything in one park, so people that go to the park have something to ride if Space is closed. Not the case with MK. The rides in other parks don't help, because they are in other parks.
MK is different than the others...
The time-less young attraction that is the main-stay of Disney.
The characters all originate from MK.
Even if you took SM out of the park completely, you would still have the draw you have today.

KumbaRider

Thrawn said:

Exactly. They will not do anything until the next E-ticket is built....most likely near the 20k site. That is, if they decide the guest capacity requires it...

KumbaRider

BwanaBob said:
Even if you took SM out of the park completely, you would still have the draw you have today.

The only problem is, SM has a capacity input. If that is shut down, then the other attractions become more congested causing further complaints and problems. Therefore an alternative is to have them enter another attraction, which is possible in DL.....Matterhorn, IJA, Star Tours, etc.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
BwanaBob said:

Again you are missing his point. You don't have an E-Ticket to temporarily replace Space Mountain if its closed for a year or so. The lines at BTMR and Splash would be ridiculously long during busy seasons. Just because its MK doesn't mean that its perfect, and doesn't mean that you can just take rides off the attraction list and not have problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom