Space Mountain Refurb Brainstorming

T.Will

Original Poster
Looking at that thumbnail's got me thinking. Can Space Mountain use the Matterhorn's current vehicles? Obviously, not the entire thing as rides use different brakes and whatnot, but could the current seat design from Matterhorn be brought to SM? It seems possible, and it might alleviate some of SM's current vehicle problems.

The Pho

Some better speaker placement could make a big difference to the entire experience, particularly with some on board.

The queue could use some improvements. Again better sound as well as better/ more visuals.

I don't think the ride track needs any altering in any way, it's Disney's best coaster by far still (also the world's). In fact I think changing the layout at all would be an enourmous mistake. Spend the money where it's needed, not on what is already perfect, there's enough ultra smooth coasters nearby. The only real change I'd be okay with would be a slight increase in car length.

NickMaio

Anyone else love the rickety nature of the current version? It makes it more exciting to me feeling like we’re about to derail at any moment.
Yes - its a total shake fest. My wife and I love it. So jerky and jumpy. Although the DL version really peaks my interest.

jprieur

Ways to keep to the original concept with modern updates:

Totally modernize the star tunnel entrance. Black gloss floors with white structured panel walls with HD screens as windows. Think recent Star Trek movie passageways. Make the actual queue more like star tours, give the feel that you are in a space station where others are boarding as well, etc.
9C16D19C-FD93-48DF-813D-3A8455B89396.jpeg

Ride itself:
Blue strobe tunnel replaced with lcd screens, the programmable kind where you have smooth uniform movement between each cluster, thereby the movement of the blue lights will give you the believable experience of going much faster. Randomize this scene to include different planets, asteroids, etc each time

Replace the lift hill with LSM launch technology (same as rock ‘n rollercoaster to have an actual launch, hold for effect count down at the beginning. Also update the old lift hill with moving AAs and more modern space station detail. Since you are now launched at a fast pace through that scene in effect when you ride multiple times you will notice different details each time.

Update star field throughout with combination of LED on ride structure (near field stars) and modern planetarium style projection for main (far field) ceiling. I know planetarium projectors cost a fortune though, but there has to be a better approach than current solution using led, etc.

Black hole effect for the helix near the end, so basically you would have to wrap this section with its own walls to keep the effect from bleeding to the main area.

Keep the same track for the most part but introduce slightly more banking to the turns.

Finish with a wormhole 360 degree lcd tunnel for return in lieu of the red tube now. Have that be the final before debark, no more ground level in the space slow crawl.

And for gods sake get rid of the popcorn ceiling in the queue! How was that not removed back in the ‘09 refurb.

While you are at it give the peoplemover section it’s own covered section with star effects through the mountain, again planetarium style, maybe even a spiel pointing out constellations and actual far away planets during this portion, beats the ride in silence and darkness of today.

Goofyernmost

Simple, replace the track with a new smoother one, put the black light tape back on the vehicles, make sure that they have plenty of twinkling stars scattered about and that will do it. The big expense is the track, but, it's not as big as the legal bill if someone actually gets hurt on the ride. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Smiley/OCD

Totally modernize the star tunnel entrance. Black gloss floors with white structured panel walls with HD screens as windows. Think recent Star Trek movie passageways. Make the actual queue more like star tours, give the feel that you are in a space station where others are boarding as well, etc.
View attachment 314659

Ride itself:
Blue strobe tunnel replaced with lcd screens, the programmable kind where you have smooth uniform movement between each cluster, thereby the movement of the blue lights will give you the believable experience of going much faster. Randomize this scene to include different planets, asteroids, etc each time

Replace the lift hill with LSM launch technology (same as rock ‘n rollercoaster to have an actual launch, hold for effect count down at the beginning. Also update the old lift hill with moving AAs and more modern space station detail. Since you are now launched at a fast pace through that scene in effect when you ride multiple times you will notice different details each time.

Update star field throughout with combination of LED on ride structure (near field stars) and modern planetarium style projection for main (far field) ceiling. I know planetarium projectors cost a fortune though, but there has to be a better approach than current solution using led, etc.

Black hole effect for the helix near the end, so basically you would have to wrap this section with its own walls to keep the effect from bleeding to the main area.

Keep the same track for the most part but introduce slightly more banking to the turns.

Finish with a wormhole 360 degree lcd tunnel for return in lieu of the red tube now. Have that be the final before debark, no more ground level in the space slow crawl.

And for gods sake get rid of the popcorn ceiling in the queue! How was that not removed back in the ‘09 refurb.

While you are at it give the peoplemover section it’s own covered section with star effects through the mountain, again planetarium style, maybe even a spiel pointing out constellations and actual far away planets during this portion, beats the ride in silence and darkness of today.
Nice job...awesome!!!

righttrack

Anyone else love the rickety nature of the current version? It makes it more exciting to me feeling like we’re about to derail at any moment.

It has a certain charm to it. The thing is that the ride delivers. It's packed, with over one hour waits all day long. I think if the popularity waned then they would likely do something. After the Tron coaster makes it's appearance, this will age quickly. Then perhaps it's time to do something. For now, the ride is entertaining, and a people-eater. Comparatively to the rest of what is in that part of the park, it does great. I do think some better visual effects would help though.

T.Will

Original Poster

View attachment 314659

Ride itself:

These are some interesting ideas. I'm not sure if an LSM launch would work for Space. A launch could result in a higher top speed, which would cause more pain in the darkness (Alton Towers' Black Hole reveals this perfectly). Also, it could throw off the number of trains on the course, resulting in a possibly longer wait. If the chain lift needs to go, I would recommend friction wheels, like ones on Revenge of the Mummy and the Hulk at Universal, but without the launch.

T.Will

Original Poster
They need to bring back the chocolate chip cookie asteroids. That would make it amazing.
I've seen it every once in a while along with the planet. It seems like the Space Station and the galaxy are the only guaranteed projections and everything else comes and goes as they please.

I kind of have to agree with making the track smoother. I love the ride, but if I'm sitting towards the back, my neck and back hurt afterwards (I still ride it anyways...) and since I'm a "big dude" (5'9", 280ish pounds), as well as the person who carries the family backpack, I would like to see just a little more room for each person.

RScottyL

These are all great ideas, and it would be great if they read these threads to get ideas from as well.

My changes, which are all mentioned above:

(1) Smooth out the tracks/ride! Where it is replacing the track and/or ride vehicles.

(2) Improve/update sounds/music in the ride! This would include better speakers, and possibly get higher quality sounds/music for the ride. Surprisingly for me, and I am sure others as well, music/sounds make more of a memory/experience to remember!

(3) Update the queue line! I like the idea mentioned above to update the queue line to where it looks like you are walking on a spaceship or walking on a space airport where you are walking up to the launchpad to take off in the ship.

(4) Update the launch, so instead of using the typical roller coaster chain drive that pulls you along that first ramp, make it a LSM launch, so you take off faster like a spaceship going in to warp speed!

erasure fan1

I don't think the ride track needs any altering in any way, it's Disney's best coaster by far still (also the world's). In fact I think changing the layout at all would be an enourmous mistake.
Yes and no. There is a charm to it but man o man there are parts that hurt. It doesn't need to be ultra smooth but taking the bite out of some of the hard corners that really knock you around would do wonders I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom