Space Mountain opinion

wedance

Original Poster
What's everyone's opinion on the smoothness of the ride you get on Space Mountain? I've been on Rock and Roll RC at Mgm, and found that to be smooth. I do not like jerky rides. So should I try Space Mountain? Thanks ahead!

Mission: SPACE

Space will jerk you around a little bit more than RnRC... however, it is no comparison to a wooden roller coaster. I would go for it... unless you have a back and/or neck and/or other health problem that might be aggrivated... It's really not all that bad, but is just a little worse that RnRC...

Merlin

Account Suspended
Actually, both Rockin' Rollercoaster and Space Mountain vary in intensity depending on where you're sitting. If you are sitting in the back, you're going to get banged around. On Rockin' Rollercoaster, try to sit somewhere in the middle. On Space Mountain, try to sit in the front rocket if you can. It will be noticeably less bumpy.

Erika

I have back problems and tend to have more trouble with RnR than with Space Mountain. But I wouldn't ride either on a bad day.

I would say, give it a shot :)

Steamboat_Kevin

Space Mountain is a little bit jerky, but it is so fun that you just forget about it mostly. Just give it a go, if you don't like it, you never have to go on it again, lol :)
-Kevin

Scooter

The cushioned harness on Rock and Rollercoaster seems to absorb alot of the shock so it seems less jerky to me. I have no problem with this ride.

I quit riding Space mountan as of last year. Because it only has a lap bar, the left to right jerkiness is alot more intense. While I used to Love it, now it hurts my joints and my neck. I hate getting old!

:(

Slinky Dog

I agree, give it a go - it's a great deal slower thn RnRC anyway.

When we rode Space Mountain the last time we were in the MK, my sister and myself, just laughed all the way round because we had forgotten how much fun it was. It's a pretty tame coaster, but when you haven't been on it before or for a long time and forget where the little drops are, its so much fun.:sohappy: :sohappy:

I have a little back and neck trouble from time to time, but have found that SM doesn't give me any trouble.

TinasTravel

I love Space Mountain! Yes, it is a little jerky because it doesn't have shoulder harnesses, but that is part of the fun.

Shhh...don't tell Disney, but I even went on Space Mountain when I was 5 months pregnant. Now my daughter loves roller coasters too. :lol:

goonsquads57

On RnR, I find the extreme back to be painfully bumpy. I sit in the very front and find it to be a smooth ride.

As far as SM, I sit in the front seat of the front rocket. My legs are long enough to enable me to push against the floor and push myself back into my seat. That practically eliminates the side to side roughness.

Captain Cab

If you have been on rides such as Dinosaur, Body Wars and Star Tours (especially the early versions of the rides), then you shouldn't have a problem with Space Mountain. It really isn't that jerky, even for a steel coaster.

CAPTAIN HOOK

The ride on Space is very smooth (ride being defined as wheels travelling over the track) However, the track layout and design is planned to give the passenger a ride of sharp turns and sudden drops. You may find some jerks - but try it at least once and then decide.

EmeraldDolphin

I agree that Space MT isn't as jerky as Star Tours, Body Wars & Dinosaur. If you can ride them, then you will not have a problem with Space MT.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Captain Cab
If you have been on rides such as Dinosaur, Body Wars and Star Tours (especially the early versions of the rides), then you shouldn't have a problem with Space Mountain. It really isn't that jerky, even for a steel coaster.

What do you mean "even for a steel coaster"? Wooden coasters are known for being jerky. Steel coasters are supposed to be smooth.

Shaman

Originally posted by Merlin
Actually, both Rockin' Rollercoaster and Space Mountain vary in intensity depending on where you're sitting. If you are sitting in the back, you're going to get banged around. On Rockin' Rollercoaster, try to sit somewhere in the middle. On Space Mountain, try to sit in the front rocket if you can. It will be noticeably less bumpy.

I was frowning cause all the times I've been on Space Mountain, I haven't felt anything. I always end up in the front rocket, guess thats why I haven't felt anything. :hammer:

BTW wouldn't the side you choose to go on be another factor??? Which is more "bumpy" the left or the right?

mkfan23

To me, RNR is much smoother. Don't get me wrong, I love SM, but it kinda reminds me of one of those wild mouse roller coasters, maybe not that bad, but maybe being in the dark makes it seem worse.

mikesenger

I always thought that space mountain was ok, until i rode it with the lights on. Last year when we got to the top of the initial climb, the other side was stalled and they turned the lights on, but let us go thru with the ride.

that was by far the scariest ride, but so much fun at the same time. after that, it just wasn't the same.

Captain Cab

Originally posted by Merlin
What do you mean "even for a steel coaster"? Wooden coasters are known for being jerky. Steel coasters are supposed to be smooth.

That's correct, but there are always exceptions to the rules.

My home park is Six Flags over Georgia, and they have a new (about two years old, but it's hardly ever running so it's still considered new) inverted steel coaster called Deja Vu. It was designed by Vekoma (same people who designed Rock 'n' Roller Coaster), and it is one of the roughest rides on the planet. We also have another steel coaster in the parked named Ninja. It's also a Vekoma (or so I believe), and the years have worn it down and it is also an extremely rough coaster. These steel coasters are supposed to be smooth, but through design flaws rough areas on the ride can and will occur. It's kinda sad when new and resurfaced (such as SFoG's Great American Scream Machine) wooden coasters end up being smoother than steel coasters.

KathyG/poohbear

I don't think you can even compare SM to R & R. The R & R is the smoothest coaster I have ever been on and the best too.

The earlier post was correct, SM is like a old mouse wild you would find in a small amusement park except that it's in the dark. I don't like the jerks but I don't normally like just any coaster. I had rather go upside down that to be running around unsure of where the next turn is but I am old. Last time, I visited Disney I was nursing a broken ankle so I didn't even attempt SM....I did ride Dinosaur....a big mistake...I thought that ride would never be over. SM doesn't throw you around anywhere near like Dinosaur.

Just my opinion....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom