Space Mountain hurts me too much to ride it again until it's repaired. Anyone else feel this way?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'm in the "It's getting rougher and rougher" camp. I've got to mentally and physically prepare before each ride.

I'd lobby for Disney to change the warning sign on SM to read:

"This ride may create certain conditions in relatively healthy people that will prevent them from being in compliance with the warning signs for all other rides"

And in turn - they could amend the warning signs on all other rides to read: "Please don't ride if you've previously ridden Space Mountain within the last 6 hours"

That may help.

Paper straw fan

I’m on board with the original poster- last time I rode (admittedly during NSSH with the lights completely off) my neck and back were in excruciating pain the rest of the night to where it felt like I’d been in a fender bender. Actually caused me to leave early even after using up my codene stash. Maybe I’ll forget and ride again, but I might just quit this ride until they can refurb it- which I won’t hold my breath on, at least until Tron has been up and running for a while.

MickeyCB

Space Mountain definitely jarring, especially to the neck. But, I have found on all coasters the closer to the front I ride, the less I experience discomfort.
I blew out 2 cervical discs 2 years ago, (much, much better now), and my neurologist knows I love Disney and am a big rider. She told my I was completely nuts to consider riding space mountain or rockin roller coaster ever again. Big bummer.

thomas998

Space Mountain has soft padding and cushions the rider fairly well. The Matterhorn bobsleds have hard plastic so you feel every bump and rattle. On the other hand though you never feel like you're going to fall out.
Agreed.... Matterhorn is painful to parts of your body from the hard seats and lack of any padding but your neck doesn't suffer on Matterhorn. Space Mountain is much more likely to hurt your neck... to me I much prefer Matterhorn and a little pain when I'm riding than Space Mountain that can leave your neck sore for the next couple of days.

Paper straw fan

I’ll ride nearly anything at WDW, Universal and Busch Gardens- but Space Mountain and Primeval Hurl are 2 I largely have to pass on.

It’s mostly rides that are older and too jerky that do me in. Sheikra at BG is probably the biggest and baddest coaster in FL but it’s a pretty smooth ride, so no problems.

FettFan

Hey all. I know there is a thread about Space Mountain repair ideas, but I think this is a bit separate. The last time I rode Space Mountain, it jangled me so badly that I had a headache for the rest of the day, and I was completely miserable. I couldn't tell you which side I went on, but it was just really bad. I used to love riding Space Mountain, and honestly the ride was more or less a rite of passage for me. I was too scared to ride it until I was about 11 or 12, and then after I finally worked up the courage to do it, I fell in love with it and never wanted to not ride it.

Now, I can't see ever subjecting myself to the ride until it's undergoes a major overhaul, and I wonder if that will ever happen. It's really sad, but I don't want to go through what I went through again. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I alone?

You're not alone. I avoid Space Mountain for that very purpose, and typically go chill on the PeopleMover while I wait for my family members who want to ride it.

The entire ride track needs to be replaced.

Damon7777

Had no problems the last time I rode. It is, of course, a roller coaster in the dark, though not really that fast

I'll just go by what it looks like you're trying to say and respond with this:

How does lighting(or in this case a lack of it) affect a ride's bumpiness and rider jerks?!?!

And what's with you introducing speed into this??
A coaster can be rough or smooth at 100mph, 4 mph and yes, even at our subject's speed of 28mph.

StarshipDisney

I'll have to agree with the original poster. I have loved Space Mountain since 1972...but lately it does seem somewhat rickety and jerks you around very hard. My wife will not ride it with me anymore.

I guess that after...what...about 45 years...that the ride is showing its age and is in need of an good overhaul. I'm betting the new Tron ride will be much smoother.

mergatroid

Have no issues with it personally and ride it multiple times each year. Not that I'm complaining about my next statement, but I found the stop points on both Hulk and the old Dueling Dragons at Universal far more jarring. Would never complain about them though, it's just what it was and I loved both rides.

thomas998

I'll just go by what it looks like you're trying to say and respond with this:

How does lighting(or in this case a lack of it) affect a ride's bumpiness and rider jerks?!?!

And what's with you introducing speed into this??
A coaster can be rough or smooth at 100mph, 4 mph and yes, even at our subject's speed of 28mph.
Lighting or lack of it doesn't change anything about the ride but it does impact the riders ability to see what's coming and brace for it. If you are in a car crash at 15 mph, see it coming you will naturally brace yourself for impact which effects the odds of you getting hurt... now assume your in a car with your eyes closed and it crashes at the same speed.. You will likely get hurt a lot more and that's what happens with Space Mountain your unsure of whats coming.

LUVofDIS

but Space Mountain and Primeval Hurl are 2 I largely have to pass on.

I personally love both these rides, maybe I should say this over at the unpopular thread. Anyway, my wife thinks SM can be too rough at times but I think it has actually become more smooth in the last couple of years. My nephew even thought that it was smoother than the DL version. Go figure.

Now for Primeval Whirl, I love the 360. It is the only ride I can think of that does it while moving in a forward direction. Kali River Rapids sort of does it and Tea Cups and Alien Spin also, but both of these move in an arc while doing it. Though, one of my favorite rides would be the Tea Cups. Yeah Baby.

Disneybees

Rode space mountain a few times last month and can't say we had issues with it, will have to go back and ride again for research purposes only of course.

JIMINYCR

I'm in the "It's getting rougher and rougher" camp. I've got to mentally and physically prepare before each ride.
I'd lobby for Disney to change the warning sign on SM to read:
"This ride may create certain conditions in relatively healthy people that will prevent them from being in compliance with the warning signs for all other rides"
And in turn - they could amend the warning signs on all other rides to read: "Please don't ride if you've previously ridden Space Mountain within the last 6 hours"
That may help.

And they should have a post ride area that offers heating pads, aspirin, massages. :p:p:p

SM ride cars are so cramped and uncomfortable that they add the the pain. Knocking you side to side in the car, even holding on tightly you have no option but to get brutalized. But I love all coasters so no matter how bruised I get I'll keep coming back for more. :cool::cool::cool:

Paper straw fan

I personally love both these rides, maybe I should say this over at the unpopular thread. Anyway, my wife thinks SM can be too rough at times but I think it has actually become more smooth in the last couple of years. My nephew even thought that it was smoother than the DL version. Go figure.

Now for Primeval Whirl, I love the 360. It is the only ride I can think of that does it while moving in a forward direction. Kali River Rapids sort of does it and Tea Cups and Alien Spin also, but both of these move in an arc while doing it. Though, one of my favorite rides would be the Tea Cups. Yeah Baby.

At 20 I could ride anything and I’d have loved both. SM is an all time favorite of mine so I want to ride it when I’m there, but man it’s harsh to me now. I’m sure part of that is age, but it does seem rides get rougher w time. There’s been times it’s not that bad, I mean I used to hate Dinosaur for that reason but now it’s fine to me. I’m sure tho that people still love both, judging by the lines that’s a given

graphite1326

I believe that was the original plan back during the 2009ish refurb but that got axed because god forbid it be closed during the Christmas season. So many ruined vacations :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
God begins with a capital G. Just sayin.
1547950843421.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom