News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

DisneyDebRob

Why do restaurants constantly choose carpeting….is commercial grade durable sleek hard flooring not a thing?
Lets not forget that there are a lot of elderly and children at Disney. Wood floors are dangerous when even a few drops of something is on it. I think that’s actually the main reason most floors are carpeted throughout disney except for a occasional one here and there.

yensidtlaw1969

I just find it very stale there doesn’t seem to be anything fun…why not have an Astronaut or a Mickey astronaut do a quick walk through like how Scuba Mickey came to coral reef? The food also is so unimaginative I would think it would have galactic starcruiser at least presentation.

I just feel this concept restaurant should be more “fun” but 🤷🏻‍♂️
They do have "Astronauts" float by with some regularity outside the windows - unless you mean they should have them walking through the restaurant. Which, depending on your mileage, might be fun.

It's interesting to me that this restaurant is more "themepark-y" than Coral Reef, just by nature of the fact that the conceit here is entirely fake. While you're not actually under the sea at Coral Reef, you are at least looking into a real tank with real marine life. Space 220 doesn't have a similar leg to stand on - the entire thing is an illusion. Which sort of makes it more odd that they're treating this like such a high-end experience. I'm glad it doesn't have Aliens walking around it like Mars 2112 (anyone here remember that?), but it does seem like they could have and maybe should have taken the fun factor further. EPCOT has no shortage of very adult-feeling dining options, and this could have probably hewed closer to something that really suits families. Not that I think it should be Chuck. E. Cheese or anything, but it does feel a little clinical and restrained for such a far-out concept.

I'm still of the mind that having the transport be a Space Shuttle instead of an Elevator would have been a better choice - it's plainly obvious from the outside of the Pavilion that there's no Elevator structure, so that illusion's sort of broken before it even begins, and it locks the restaurant's rotation with that of the Earth "below" it. It probably would have allowed for a more dynamic view to pretend we're slowly orbiting and drifting over different continents, and then the shuttle can reconnect us with EPCOT on our return. Bonus points if they throw in a little drone shuttle outside that occasionally launches and lands out of sight, to suggest people taking the trip to the restaurant . . .

SplashJacket

After getting back from my most recent Orlando trip, I’ve written glowing reviews for attractions such as Guardians, Ratatouille, and even appreciated the spectacle of Harmonious.

This ends now.

DO NOT, UNDER (almost) ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, GO TO SPACE 220!

This place is legalized fraud.

Out of everything planned for this trip, I was most excited about Space 220. So at the very least, let this post temper your expectations.

Let me elaborate upon the Space 220 experience before @Centauri Space Station hunts me down.

Theming:

Space 220s theming is cool. There’s the initial wonder of walking in and seeing the fantastic vista to earth, and then… that’s it. The space is cool. The food theming, such as cutlery, plating, and food presentation is forgettable at best.

The bathroom’s announcements and plaque are nice touches, but hardly anything that makes an experience.

I honestly think the area looks cooler in photos than in person. The awe wears off very quickly. The earth basically just looks like a static image (which it basically is). The floating astronauts are interesting, but similarly lose their luster very quickly. There’s just not much depth to the experience.

If you’re craving a quality themed environment, go to Sci-Fi or Biergarten, not Space 220.

The whole experience seems very social-media to me. So much to post to Instagram, but very shallow, just like social-media.

Food:

Two people at our table (myself included), ordered the duck. I absolutely love duck! My favorite dish in the world is a duck dish served in an Atlanta French restaurant. Just to make sure 220’s duck was good, I asked the waiter if she would recommend the duck, and she responded “in a heartbeat.”

Plain and simply, they served rubber, not duck, a rubber ducky, perhaps, but most certainly not duck. I had seen photos of the duck entree before dining at Space 220 and it looked fantastic, but it appeared to be a duck leg. The entree served was duck breast, which is perfectly fine, duck breast is equally delicious. But the meal was not delicious. My theory is that due to a supply chain issue, the duck legs became unavailable, so they switched to a lesser quality duck breast, and by lesser quality, legitimately rubber. I was physically unable to cut through it with my knife, and I get it. Occasionally, there’s a bad batch of meat, or it gets over cooked, that’s fine, but even the rice it came with was aggressively mediocre. If the recent changes to the duck severely downgraded the dish, let your guests know that. More on that in a minute.

The short-rib, however, was very good, so if you do go, make sure to get it.

The snapper is fine.

One of the members in our party got the Coconut Panna Cotta for his desert. The most accurate description has to be regurgitated yogurt. Absolutely nasty. Reminded me of Beverly, where you had to try it just to see how bad it was. We each had a bite, and wow. It was nasty. Despite sharing with the table, most of it got left behind.

Service:

Definitely got the impression they were trying to turn tables over quickly. Waitress would ask if we were finished with our current course if we would pause to breath for a second.

Back to the duck. I never, I mean ever, send a meal back to the kitchen. I’m not a picky eater at all. If a meal is overdone, or tough, or whatever it may be, I usually just don’t go back or try something else next time. But this duck was terrible. Both me and my table mate sent it back, but before we could, our waitress snarkily remarked “yeah, duck is tough” when we complained. Like no. I love duck. This isn’t tough, this is next-gen tire technology, and with Test Track next door, it’s thematically appropriate at least.

After that, they replaced each of our meals with the aforementioned (and delicious) short rib. Then after that, we never saw our waitress again until it was time for the check. Other waiters brought our deserts. She no longer filled up our drinks, and it was my table mate’s 21st birthday, so even though we wanted to order more drinks, we were unable.

Obviously, service will vary drastically between visits, but still a poor reflection regardless.

Pricing:
This should be a $50 experience, rather than $80, even when considering the theme park surcharge. The fact they have $20+ entree add-one is laughable.

Reasons to go to Space 220:
You can legitimately (not a hyperbole) afford to light substantial sums of cash on fire on a routine basis for fun.
You’re the type of person to get a VIP tour (saw many plaids at the restaurant). But even then, I’m hesitant to recommend, because if you’re seriously wealthy, you’re accustomed to delicious quality food.
You can get a reservation at the lounge (so you’re not forced to order Prix Fixe and therefore can just order a drink to gain admission into the Centauri Space Station.
Someone else is paying.

I was so excited to go here, and I was so eager to love it, but I just didn’t.

It fits perfectly in Epcot, and is undeniably cool (just not a cool as you would expect or for as long as you would want), but the current pricing and menu just don’t cut it. It would work perfectly as a quick service or non-prix fixe menu with a massive price cut.

I was wondering why the reviews on Google were so poor, but now I know. It’s just not worth the hassle of getting a reservation or the cost. Save your money, save your time.

Club Cooloholic

I think the comparison to Coral Reef are spot on. Aside from the ceiling, the design elements are quite similar. Throw in the limited menu of mediocre food. And... BOOM! Coral Reef: IN SPACE (add dramatic echo effect in post)
Except one was a concept from decades ago. I don't think it was improved that much and if given the choice, I will take Coral Reef.

SplashJacket

After my really harsh, excessively dramatic post, I need to reign it in a little bit.

Space 220 is a great concept and addition that fits perfectly in Epcot, it’s just I can’t recommend going at its current price point with a prix fixe menu that offers several mediocre dishes.

Before I went, I saw several reviews raising concerns about the restaurant, but I disregarded them because I really wanted to love it.

I’m glad I went because now I know what it’s about, but it definitely wasn’t worth anywhere near the cost and was an overall underwhelming experience.

I thought there needed to be a harsh post, because it’s really okay skip Space 220. I have zero intentions to go back over the next decade even if they change the menu and prix fixe.

Save your time searching for a reservation and money and either don’t go, or try to get in the lounge. I really think Space 220 works better as a lounge or Quick Service experience. After the initial awe, there’s not much visual or general interest. It definitely lends itself better to a shorter duration meal.

It’s an interesting experience, but it’s hardly a high-end experience despite the price point.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

After getting back from my most recent Orlando trip, I’ve written glowing reviews for attractions such as Guardians, Ratatouille, and even appreciated the spectacle of Harmonious.

This ends now.

DO NOT, UNDER (almost) ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, GO TO SPACE 220!

This place is legalized fraud.

Out of everything planned for this trip, I was most excited about Space 220. So at the very least, let this post temper your expectations.

Let me elaborate upon the Space 220 experience before @Centauri Space Station hunts me down.

Theming:

Space 220s theming is cool. There’s the initial wonder of walking in and seeing the fantastic vista to earth, and then… that’s it. The space is cool. The food theming, such as cutlery, plating, and food presentation is forgettable at best.

The bathroom’s announcements and plaque are nice touches, but hardly anything that makes an experience.

I honestly think the area looks cooler in photos than in person. The awe wears off very quickly. The earth basically just looks like a static image (which it basically is). The floating astronauts are interesting, but similarly lose their luster very quickly. There’s just not much depth to the experience.

If you’re craving a quality themed environment, go to Sci-Fi or Biergarten, not Space 220.

The whole experience seems very social-media to me. So much to post to Instagram, but very shallow, just like social-media.

Food:

Two people at our table (myself included), ordered the duck. I absolutely love duck! My favorite dish in the world is a duck dish served in an Atlanta French restaurant. Just to make sure 220’s duck was good, I asked the waiter if she would recommend the duck, and she responded “in a heartbeat.”

Plain and simply, they served rubber, not duck, a rubber ducky, perhaps, but most certainly not duck. I had seen photos of the duck entree before dining at Space 220 and it looked fantastic, but it appeared to be a duck leg. The entree served was duck breast, which is perfectly fine, duck breast is equally delicious. But the meal was not delicious. My theory is that due to a supply chain issue, the duck legs became unavailable, so they switched to a lesser quality duck breast, and by lesser quality, legitimately rubber. I was physically unable to cut through it with my knife, and I get it. Occasionally, there’s a bad batch of meat, or it gets over cooked, that’s fine, but even the rice it came with was aggressively mediocre. If the recent changes to the duck severely downgraded the dish, let your guests know that. More on that in a minute.

The short-rib, however, was very good, so if you do go, make sure to get it.

The snapper is fine.

One of the members in our party got the Coconut Panna Cotta for his desert. The most accurate description has to be regurgitated yogurt. Absolutely nasty. Reminded me of Beverly, where you had to try it just to see how bad it was. We each had a bite, and wow. It was nasty. Despite sharing with the table, most of it got left behind.

Service:

Definitely got the impression they were trying to turn tables over quickly. Waitress would ask if we were finished with our current course if we would pause to breath for a second.

Back to the duck. I never, I mean ever, send a meal back to the kitchen. I’m not a picky eater at all. If a meal is overdone, or tough, or whatever it may be, I usually just don’t go back or try something else next time. But this duck was terrible. Both me and my table mate sent it back, but before we could, our waitress snarkily remarked “yeah, duck is tough” when we complained. Like no. I love duck. This isn’t tough, this is next-gen tire technology, and with Test Track next door, it’s thematically appropriate at least.

After that, they replaced each of our meals with the aforementioned (and delicious) short rib. Then after that, we never saw our waitress again until it was time for the check. Other waiters brought our deserts. She no longer filled up our drinks, and it was my table mate’s 21st birthday, so even though we wanted to order more drinks, we were unable.

Obviously, service will vary drastically between visits, but still a poor reflection regardless.

Pricing:
This should be a $50 experience, rather than $80, even when considering the theme park surcharge. The fact they have $20+ entree add-one is laughable.

Reasons to go to Space 220:
You can legitimately (not a hyperbole) afford to light substantial sums of cash on fire on a routine basis for fun.
You’re the type of person to get a VIP tour (saw many plaids at the restaurant). But even then, I’m hesitant to recommend, because if you’re seriously wealthy, you’re accustomed to delicious quality food.
You can get a reservation at the lounge (so you’re not forced to order Prix Fixe and therefore can just order a drink to gain admission into the Centauri Space Station.
Someone else is paying.

I was so excited to go here, and I was so eager to love it, but I just didn’t.

It fits perfectly in Epcot, and is undeniably cool (just not a cool as you would expect or for as long as you would want), but the current pricing and menu just don’t cut it. It would work perfectly as a quick service or non-prix fixe menu with a massive price cut.

I was wondering why the reviews on Google were so poor, but now I know. It’s just not worth the hassle of getting a reservation or the cost. Save your money, save your time.
I think your mistake was ordering duck. Stick to cows!

Bbeagle

Two people at our table (myself included), ordered the duck. I absolutely love duck!
mickey-friends-angry-donald-duck-temporary-tattoo-1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom