Southwest Seating Question

luvdisneyworld

Original Poster
We are a family of 5 and will be flying to WDW in Aug. 2012. I hope to get our tickets with Southwest because they are the only ones that offer a non stop flight option from STL. This will be the first time any of my family has flown (aside from me). I am concerned about the seating. I am hearing some say that SW does not allow you to choose your seats. We will have our 2 and 3 year old Granddaughters with us and I would like them seated next to me. Is that an option or am I going to have to be worried that they might be seated next to some person I do not even know? I am not comfortable with that at all. Any thoughts?:shrug:

LivFreeorDisney

SW does not assign you a seat but lets you do early check in and that sets you in a seating group. The earlier you get on, the better your chances are of picking what seats you want.

You can pay 20 bucks per person for auto sign-in or wait 24 hours before your flight to check in.

Good luck.

pi_kapp_shack

You are able to check in online 24 hours prior to your flight or all persons in your party. You check in by confirmation number so assuming you booked all of your tickets at the same time (same confirmation number) you will get boarding passess that run concurrently with each other (i.e. A36-A40). SW also offers family boarding, either after all of A or B group boarding, can't remember which right now.

Usually if you are in late A group of early B group you are able to find 5 seats together. Just be sure to check in as close to 242 hours prior to your flight as you can.

As stated in a prior post you can also pay a fee for early bird check in.

OldYeller

If i'm not mistaken, if you have young children in your party, you may be able to jump the line. I think parties with children under 4 pre-board.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I fy SWA a couple times a month if not more. If you have children young enough to family board, you will do this after the A group is finished boarding. The A group will be about 60 people. I believe there are about 160 seats on a SW plane. They are six across with the isle in the middle. If you family board you should not have any problem finding three seats together. As mentioned earlier, you can pay for Early Bird ($10 each way per person) and be guaranteed an earlier boarding group. This being said, if everyone in A pays for early bird, then you might get B, but Early Bird checks people in in the order that they purchased the Early Bird option, so doing it at the time you book your travel is better than waiting until right before you go.

Also depending on when you are going, if the plane is sold out, then they will likely start checking cary on bags about midway through B group, so Early Bird will also allow you to get that coveted overhead bin space as well.

NYwdwfan

Thanks so much! This eases my mind a bit. The Grands will be ages 3 and 4 when we travel. :wave:

I'm sure you will be fine. I've boarded with family boarding after the A's have always been able to get seats with my 2 kids next to me and my husband in a nearby row. The kids always sit with me. I always think of it this way - as much as I want the kids next to me is probably as much as a stranger does NOT want my 2 kids next to them! :lol: I always make sure my carry-on bags are small enough to slide under the seats in front of us so we can access our "gear" - I can't handle dealing with those bins. :zipit:

mickeysshoes

If i'm not mistaken, if you have young children in your party, you may be able to jump the line. I think parties with children under 4 pre-board.

That is what I was also thinking. You should be able to be one of the first to board and should have pick of pretty much the entire plane. I would not worry...you will be fine!!

mousefan1972

That is what I was also thinking. You should be able to be one of the first to board and should have pick of pretty much the entire plane. I would not worry...you will be fine!!

No, this changed several years ago. Passengers flying with children age 4 or under now board between the A and B groups, as PPs have stated. They are no longer the first to board.

bobjl527

Groups with children under 4 can board after wheelchair passengers, passengers with a disability and business select passengers who pay for the privledge of pre-boarding.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Groups with children under 4 can board after wheelchair passengers, passengers with a disability and business select passengers who pay for the privledge of pre-boarding.

That is not accurate. Family boarding is between the A group and B group.

This is quoted directly from the SWA FAQ section of their website

General boarding starts with Business Select customers, who are guaranteed positions at the front of the A Group, followed by Rapid Rewards A-List Members and the remaining Customers in the A Group, families with children under age 5, then groups B and C.

bobjl527

That is not accurate. Family boarding is between the A group and B group.

This is quoted directly from the SWA FAQ section of their website

Thanks. I do not know how long that has been in effect. I flew SW last October. I am disabled (not wheelchair bound) and I get to pre-board with my wife. People with small children are usually in the pre-board line with me. I always assumed that they boarded after we did. It makes more sense to board between the A and B group. Sorry for any confussion this may have caused. :hammer:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Thanks. I do not know how long that has been in effect. I flew SW last October. I am disabled (not wheelchair bound) and I get to pre-board with my wife. People with small children are usually in the pre-board line with me. I always assumed that they boarded after we did. It makes more sense to board between the A and B group. Sorry for any confussion this may have caused. :hammer:

No worries. They may have been children flying without an adult possibly? They will seat those passengers preboard as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom