Soo Black box is cancelled right?

bcoachable

Question for those that had knowledge- was this implementation going to be similar in scope and sequence to “Return to Narnia” from a few years back at Hollywood Studios? (That’s what I think of when I envision “black box” experience)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why is ease so important? What happened to immersion and depth? I feel like Spongebob looking at the patties in Krabby o Mondays going "where's the love???"

It's the way they could bring a new "Attraction" for _____ hot new property very quickly....before it loses popularity(!). But, as others have said, ironic, knowing Disney's track record with ones they COULD ALREADY easily update and never really do.

The only exceptions so far have been Star Tours and the one change to Toy Story Mania., but that's still in the same universe for each of those attractions. You could also say the Meet and Greet characters in Avengers Campus, but that's not in the same league of actually changing out an attraction.

I agree that if not done well, it's not much different than having a simulator ride that gets changed out. Now if they have a LOT of technology at their disposal and can swap out sets easily, then MAYBE it could work, but it's all about what they expect to be part of the "Black Box" idea.

MMRR I think is well done for what it actually is (Side note: the projection tech could work great for an upgrade of Buzz Lightyear I think)

MagicHappens1971

I've said this before, but I think the black box dark ride thing is a dumb idea. Just having a dark ride being a nondescript vehicle moving through a bunch of screens would in my opinion suck much of the fun out of it being a dark ride.
The black box concept is Mickey & Minnie's. MMRR is a fun attraction, is it the best? No. But it's basically the concept that was introduced, and executed. Just not in the same location, or with the same intent.

One could argue MMRR was the trial run, and they could still build this "black box" but I don't think so.

UNCgolf

The black box concept is Mickey & Minnie's. MMRR is a fun attraction, is it the best? No. But it's basically the concept that was introduced, and executed. Just not in the same location, or with the same intent.

One could argue MMRR was the trial run, and they could still build this "black box" but I don't think so.

MMRR is similar, but I don't think it really counts. It has physical pieces that would have to be removed and, more importantly, the vehicles would have to be reprogrammed. That would likely require weeks of testing. MMRR also has themed ride vehicles that wouldn't necessarily fit another attraction.

I think a true black box attraction that could be swapped essentially overnight would need unthemed tracked vehicles looking solely at projections and/or videos.

MagicHappens1971

MMRR is similar, but I don't think it really counts. It has physical pieces that would have to be removed and, more importantly, the vehicles would have to be reprogrammed. That would likely require weeks of testing. MMRR also has themed ride vehicles that wouldn't necessarily fit another attraction.

I think a true black box attraction that could be swapped essentially overnight would need unthemed tracked vehicles looking solely at projections and/or videos.
I don’t really remember the original rumors but I thought the plan was just to have an attraction that was easy to swap out. A MMRR-esque attraction could probably be “rethemed” within 6 months. I’m not really saying that in its current iteration, it’s possible, due to its placement.

UNCgolf

I don’t really remember the original rumors but I thought the plan was just to have an attraction that was easy to swap out. A MMRR-esque attraction could probably be “rethemed” within 6 months. I’m not really saying that in its current iteration, it’s possible, due to its placement.

The original rumors mentioned being able to swap over to a new ride potentially within days -- I think the intent was something where all they would have to do is change out the projections/videos and maybe test for a couple of days to make sure everything looks right.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I don't think it would even take that long, if you have a template and just swap in a lot of pieces. I actually would like a ridethrough of MMRR with none of the projectors working just to see what it's like

lazyboy97o

Spending nine figures on a seasonal attraction is not viable. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad is too specifically designed for its usage.

That’s the fundamental problem with the black box. To do anything more than just very generic screens on the same route, you’re spending money on demolishing and building show sets which pushes up your costs, and Disney’s costs are exorbitant.

celluloid

Included with admission?

Was just pointing out that at the time, it was a free bonus ride thanks to the sponsor. No ticket book ticket required.

I get of course a ride in the parks these days is included, but the parks are featuring less amount of attractions with shuttered venue space and I think we can do better than if you had wings, as fun as it was for it's time.
*thinks of Ant-Man in Hong Kong*
I guess not.

SpectreJordan

With Mermaid apparently gone due to the black mold (and probably that part of the complex with it), they have a strong insentative to redo the Courtyard. The Disney Junior show is out of date (referencing properties that have changed shows in the years since it opened), and Launch Bay is nothing more than M&G space at this point. All of it could be replaced with the black box as planned - but does Disney have the money to do so? I doubt it.
I desperately want them to do something with that area. But replacing that dud of an area with this crappy attraction idea would be an insult.

I think Hollywood Studios is on the cusp of greatness (I love GE & think TSL is fun, even if it could've been better). They just need to keep investing in it with that GE money & immersion.

mikejs78

Premium Member
For as much as people hate (rightly) on Chapek for nickle and diming and park reservations, its not like he came in with the best hand dealt to him...Starcruiser, Epcot remake, Genie, pushing Disney into politics, falling castmember standards, broken rides/effects, price increases, Galaxies Edge cutbacks and more were all on Igers watch. Outside the parks, Iger oversaw the development of almost every movie released under Chapeks term, as they were in production long before Chapek took over. Im sure I am missing more...they must have known Universal was doing far more than just Harry Potter and there is still no plan in place for that competition.

For my life I dont understand why the Disney community is so happy that Iger is back, when he was, quite literally, responsible for almost everything people claim he will fix.
Don't forget who was in charge of parks then.

Bender123

Don't forget who was in charge of parks then.

You dont think that Iger had a final say in these massive changes? Iger did not roll out of bed one day and go "What? Chapek bulldozed the center of Epcot and completely overhauled the fastpass system??? If only I would have known about a multibillion expendature that is being overseen by my direct report..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom