Sony A9 unveiled

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
WOW!

This is the E-mount full-frame interchangeable lens digital camera to feature a 35mm full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory. The sensor’s stacked structure and integral memory contribute to the unprecedented readout speed achieved by the sensor and image-processing engine. High speed enables continuous shooting at up to 20 fps, blackout-free shooting, up to 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second, silent, vibration-free Anti-Distortion Shutter operation at up to 1/32,000 sec., and other capabilities that add up to an all-new shooting experience without interference from mechanical devices.

fractal

Looks like a beast of a camera. I just picked up the A7rii taking advantage of the recent discounts and trade in deals, plus this is more than I need.

This camera looks like it don't suffers from any compromises vs. DSLR and has numerous advantages over a mechanical flapping shutter. Kinda amazing that it took until 2017 to be able to say that. I'm sure it won't be long before a full range of longer lenses appear for E-mount.

Last edited:

fractal

Looks like you'll eventually (with adapter and after firmware upgrades) be able to use Sony A-mount lenses (except for screw-drive) and Canon EF (or other EF mount) lenses on this camera with all the Auto Focus goodies.
You also retain the in-body-stabilization.

The only downgrade from FE lenses is frames per second drop to 10 from 20.

Makes the switch more palatable for Canon and Sony A-mount users.

thomas998

Looks like a beast of a camera. I just picked up the A7rii taking advantage of the recent discounts and trade in deals, plus this is more than I need.

This camera looks like it don't suffers from any compromises vs. DSLR and has numerous advantages over a mechanical flapping shutter. Kinda amazing that it took until 2017 to be able to say that. I'm sure it won't be long before a full range of longer lenses appear for E-mount.
Well it doesn't compromise on the still photos but they crippled the video side of it... unlike other high end Sony digial camera they left out the slog on the video side of the camera... I can only guess they didn't want to cannibalize their video camera, but kind of a silly thing to leave out.

fractal

Well it doesn't compromise on the still photos but they crippled the video side of it... unlike other high end Sony digial camera they left out the slog on the video side of the camera... I can only guess they didn't want to cannibalize their video camera, but kind of a silly thing to leave out.

Which is a shame because other than that, it looks like a great video camera.

There has been such an outcry for Slog that I wouldn't be surprised if they added it with a firmware update.

with Slog it would be a big hit with the Wedding Photographer, imo.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Which is a shame because other than that, it looks like a great video camera.

There has been such an outcry for Slog that I wouldn't be surprised if they added it with a firmware update.

with Slog it would be a big hit with the Wedding Photographer, imo.
I wonder though how may people are really using Slog. It looks great on the spec sheet, but its a real pain to use in real life shoots. There are some other profiles that give a lot of dynamic range without the hassles of trying to sort out Slog in post.

ddbowdoin

Have you seen those new GM lens? They are rated right at the top, regardless of manufacturer.
sometimes we have to look past MTF charts. I'm sure the G and GM lenses are beautiful but I have serious questions about a consumer electronics company and their commitment to their market base. They seem to just come out with a new model rather than improving issues.

thomas998

sometimes we have to look past MTF charts. I'm sure the G and GM lenses are beautiful but I have serious questions about a consumer electronics company and their commitment to their market base. They seem to just come out with a new model rather than improving issues.
Yep... I've got several Sony product in a closet collecting dust because they stopped supporting them or changed connections so they are pointless for the latest model... That includes everything to their e-reader to cameras (gotta love buying a flash that connect to their latest and greatest flash shoe only to have it modified a short time later so the flash will only work on the older cameras and is pointless for the new ones - woo hoo Sony, thanks for helping me waste my money).

fractal

Yep... I've got several Sony product in a closet collecting dust because they stopped supporting them or changed connections so they are pointless for the latest model... That includes everything to their e-reader to cameras (gotta love buying a flash that connect to their latest and greatest flash shoe only to have it modified a short time later so the flash will only work on the older cameras and is pointless for the new ones - woo hoo Sony, thanks for helping me waste my money).

I sympathize, I had a Canon SLR that collected dust because I didn't feel like lugging it around everywhere not to mention it bricked on me after 2 years and cost more to repair than a new one. I bought into the Sony mirrorless NEX system in 2011 with the NEX-3, then the NEX-7 and now the A7rii. Never had a problem with them and have literally taken over 300,000 combined shots with them. So easy to take with me anywhere. Just got the Godox flash and wireless trigger that work great and have started doing off camera flash and having a blast.

Sony bought Minolta (a classic name in photography) and tried to salvage it and the A-mount system. Yes, they tried many things and unfortunately a lot of them didn't work out. Canon & Nikon were/are formidable competitors. Only now with the mirrorless line has Sony really become relevant in the camera world. Sony mirrorless has now been around for 7 years and going strong. Their future is as strong if not stronger than Canon/Nikon. There has been no abandonment in the E-mount system.

Different Strokes.

Last edited:

thomas998

I sympathize, I had a Canon SLR that collected dust because I didn't feel like lugging it around everywhere not to mention it bricked on me after 2 years and cost more to repair than a new one. I bought into the Sony mirrorless NEX system in 2011 with the NEX-3, then the NEX-7 and now the A7rii. Never had a problem with them and have literally taken over 300,000 combined shots with them. So easy to take with me anywhere. Just got the Godox flash and wireless trigger that work great and have started doing off camera flash and having a blast.

Sony bought Minolta (a classic name in photography) and tried to salvage it and the A-mount system. Yes, they tried many things and unfortunately a lot of them didn't work out. Canon & Nikon were/are formidable competitors. Only now with the mirrorless line has Sony really become relevant in the camera world. Sony mirrorless has now been around for 7 years and going strong. Their future is as strong if not stronger than Canon/Nikon. There has been no abandonment in the E-mount system.

Different Strokes.
Actually I have a flash made for the Nex-5 and one that was made for the Alpha200... one is useless on newer cameras the other requires an adapter that only works maybe half the time. Lenses are an issue I've had its been the flashes for Sony and their inability to stick with a particular shoe.

fractal

Actually I have a flash made for the Nex-5 and one that was made for the Alpha200... one is useless on newer cameras the other requires an adapter that only works maybe half the time. Lenses are an issue I've had its been the flashes for Sony and their inability to stick with a particular shoe.
I must admit - the flash hotshoe issue has been a mess. Having just bought my first flash I luckily avoided it. The Nex-5 is still a great camera to grab and go with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom