Song of the South?

Clever Name

TarBaby.jpg

If you desire to have your own copy of SotS, you can download the YouTube version (full movie), convert the flash file to NTSC or PAL (depending on your country) and then burn your very own DVD. There is plenty of high quality free software on the web that will make the task easy.

LaughingGravy

It's not a movie glorifying how nice it is to be white in the South with black servants taking care of you and telling you stories to take your mind off how your über rich mommy and daddy have their differences?

The Duck

Heaven forbid that any film studio make a film about blacks and whites where they actually enjoy each other's company.
As long as someone tries to stir the "Race Pot", people will never get along with each other.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My mistake. It depicted the lives of black sharecroppers during a time of rampant racism and sanctioned discrimination in a postive light. True, not as bad as depicting slavery positively, but still not so good.

To accommodate FettFan, see the edit in the quoted version.

Magenta Panther

I don't know anyone who has a problem with the film. I'm African American and I love Song of the South. I don't really think the public, as a whole, finds a problem with the film. It's mainly the NAACP that has a problem. I think they even boycotted Splash Mountain.

And Uncle Remus is a HERO and an icon of American folklore. Are we supposed to pretend he never happened, that this film doesn't exist, just for the sake of political correctness? Robert Iger sure seems to think so...

The Duck

Just to lighten up the conversation a bit, here's some Song of the South/Splash Mountain trivia:

When you hear B'rer Bear's voice on Splash Mountain, you're actually hearing the voice of Nick Stewart (AKA Nicodemus Stewart and Nick O' Demus). Nick Stewart was the only surviving voice actor from Song of the South available to record dialogue for the Splash Mountain sound track.

Nick Stewart (billed as Nick O' Demus) also played Lightnin' on the Amos n Andy TV series during the 1950's.

Johnny Lee (original voice of B'rer Rabbit) was also in the cast of Amos n Andy. He played Algonquin J. Calhoun: Attorney at Law.

Clever Name

Thanks so much, I will be definitely ordering a few copies. I had absolutely no idea there would be so many responses to my inquiry about SotS. I definitely have to see this movie now.
You can view the entire movie for free on YouTube. FettFan posted the link earlier in this thread.

psukardi

Heaven forbid that any film studio make a film about blacks and whites where they actually enjoy each other's company.
As long as someone tries to stir the "Race Pot", people will never get along with each other.

That's OK Tyler Perry can make a movie with all black people and it's OK. You can have BET and poke fun of the white people and it's OK. But heaven forbid your scenario EVER takes place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom