Song of the South may get released

Jerm

I think this has been hit upon a few times since the share holders meeting where it was talked about. Also this should go in the animation area not in the WDW area.....

By the way WELCOME to the boards!!!!

J

1disneydood

Not one of their best movies, but worth seeing once and/or ading to your collection I guess. I watched it and could only sit through a little of it.

jimmyritt33

I can never understand all of the hoopla about the movie and it's insensitive stereotyping, granted I am not included in the race being stereotyped. I think it can be released with a certain amount of sensitivity. With the creation of the DVD disks there are so many great options that can be included. Maybe have an bonus extra of a documentary hosted by Leonard Maltin as he reflects the time about which the movie was made and perhaps have him interviewing some civil rights leaders about their feelings. Also I am sure that the Walt Disney Company can turn what is now considerred a negative portrayal into a learning experience for future generations. There are many other movies from the same era of moviemaking that depict African Americans in the the typical subserviant housekeeper roles and those movies don't seem to garner as much controversey.

ToTBellHop

Everyone seems to want this movie to be released, but I would guess most have never seen it. It's really bad...the part that Splash Mountain is LOOSELY based on totals about 15 minutes of the film. The rest is a really lame live-action story. You aren't missing much by this staying super-glued to the inside of the Disney Vault...

JROK

Ever seen DW Griffith's Birth of a Nation? It's #44 on AFI's Top 100 of All Time. The film is filled with racism and even shows KKK members lynching African Americans. But the film was made in 1915 and depicts the Civil War era. It's a historical piece. We can't just turn our backs on history because it was dark and our ancestors made some wrong decisions, we move past it and don't make the same mistakes they did. I would think people would be upset because Mickey shoots a bird in the film too!

fizzle75

Everyone seems to want this movie to be released, but I would guess most have never seen it. It's really bad...the part that Splash Mountain is LOOSELY based on totals about 15 minutes of the film. The rest is a really lame live-action story. You aren't missing much by this staying super-glued to the inside of the Disney Vault...

I must completely and totally disagree! I just bought a copy from www.mysongofthesouth.com and we just watched it last night. I hadn't seen the movie since I was a boy but I remember loving it as a child and watching it last night just reminded me why I loved it so much,it is a fantastic story. Yeah some of the acting is a bit over the top but most of the acting during that time period was the same way. And by the way,to all of you who warned me not to buy the disc,you were right, it is not an official release and the quality is horrible but it is still nice to have a dvd copy. The funny thing is that one of the extras on the disc is an old Warner Brothers Merry Melodies cartoon called Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs which is about a million times more offensive than Song Of The South. It was one of the 11 cartoons banned during that time period due to their blatantly racist depictions.

Especially after watching the horrible quality of the dvd I just purchased I am so anxious for an official Disney release that has been restored to it's original glory. The music in the film is fantastic too!

isitingood

I must completely and totally disagree! I just bought a copy from www.mysongofthesouth.com and we just watched it last night. I hadn't seen the movie since I was a boy but I remember loving it as a child and watching it last night just reminded me why I loved it so much,it is a fantastic story. Yeah some of the acting is a bit over the top but most of the acting during that time period was the same way. And by the way,to all of you who warned me not to buy the disc,you were right, it is not an official release and the quality is horrible but it is still nice to have a dvd copy. The funny thing is that one of the extras on the disc is an old Warner Brothers Merry Melodies cartoon called Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs which is about a million times more offensive than Song Of The South. It was one of the 11 cartoons banned during that time period due to their blatantly racist depictions.

Especially after watching the horrible quality of the dvd I just purchased I am so anxious for an official Disney release that has been restored to it's original glory. The music in the film is fantastic too!

I agree I love the movie also and bought my copy off Ebay. It is from Europe but the quality is great.

SirNim

sots-wdt1.jpg

Scar Junior

Ever seen DW Griffith's Birth of a Nation? It's #44 on AFI's Top 100 of All Time. The film is filled with racism and even shows KKK members lynching African Americans. But the film was made in 1915 and depicts the Civil War era. It's a historical piece. We can't just turn our backs on history because it was dark and our ancestors made some wrong decisions, we move past it and don't make the same mistakes they did. I would think people would be upset because Mickey shoots a bird in the film too!

Good point. And let's not forget "The Jazz Singer."

sbkline

I can never understand all of the hoopla about the movie and it's insensitive stereotyping, granted I am not included in the race being stereotyped.

What utter horse hockey. I saw this movie the other night and there was not a darn thing wrong with it. I didn't even understand what all this talk was about him being "subservient". Yes, I saw him backing off and honoring the wishes of the boy's mother, but that has nothing to do with a black man being subservient. It has everything to do with deferring to the wishes of a child's guardian.

And if he WAS subservient, it was because the movie took place in the old South, where black people historically WERE subservient...even after slavery was officially abolished.

DisneyDragon

Disney won't release this movie, but they are opening a MILF in MK...

You know, it doesn't help that my best memory of this movie was the version from SNL that Walt only brought out at private parties.

I guess the best way to deal with ugly history is to ignore it. Has anybody bothered to ask Jesse Jackson or someone similar? Might get an interesting reply...

iKat

Original Poster
When I was little, I remember some book that came with a cassette tape that had Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear..... I don't remember anything else about it, except Brer Rabbit being in a briar patch (so I assume it was a book of Song of the South?)
Does anyone else recall something like this?

Stellajack

RE: stereotyping characters from Tales of Uncle Remus

I can never understand all of the hoopla about the movie and it's insensitive stereotyping, granted I am not included in the race being stereotyped. I think it can be released with a certain amount of sensitivity. With the creation of the DVD disks there are so many great options that can be included. Maybe have an bonus extra of a documentary hosted by Leonard Maltin as he reflects the time about which the movie was made and perhaps have him interviewing some civil rights leaders about their feelings. Also I am sure that the Walt Disney Company can turn what is now considerred a negative portrayal into a learning experience for future generations. There are many other movies from the same era of moviemaking that depict African Americans in the the typical subserviant housekeeper roles and those movies don't seem to garner as much controversey.

Before discussion of whether DISNEY considers these classic folktales "negative portrayals" or not, it would be a good idea for anyone even slightly curious about the original stories of Uncle Remus to "search the biography of the author, Joel Chandler Harris. I promise you it will shed new light on the tales we have come to know and love as Disney's Song of the South. The original tales actually came from the slaves themselves and were passed along. Go ahead, see for yourself and for those of you who have purchased the DVD, enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom