something strangely wrong with Everest?

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
Has anyone noticed that Expedition Everest seems strangely lacking on-ride special effects or even show scenes? With all of the money poured into the outside, it is amazingly strange to see so little in the actual attraction. Has anyone else found this odd? Anyone have any reasons? (Perhaps to add effects in the future, as in Tower?)

PS Don't get me wrong... Everest is a great attraction, and I know that the answer is probably that the budget was better spent making it an AK landmark from the outside, since the ride experience is enjoyable enough as it is.

dxwwf3

I really don't think it needs them. Sort of how Philharmagic didn't need the moving seatsafter actually watching the film. The ride is near-perfect just the way it is, IMO. But I also think that adding certain effects in the future is certainly a possibility.

Eljay

No,...... not really. I think the ride is the attraction. Think of R'nRC, there is pretty much nothing but some cheesy signs inside the ride. :)

Pongo

Where would you have them put? Both times that you are stopped, there are show scenes and effects, and the MAIn show scene is hardly seen because you go passed it so quickly.

It's a roller coaster. It doesn't need that many show scenes. You don't get time to look at them.

dxwwf3

BTW, I think the views you get from the lift hill is an effect all in itself. Especially if you are sitting in the front 2 rows during the twisted track. Great stuff.

WishinUponAStar

PhilosophyMagic said:
Has anyone noticed that Expedition Everest seems strangely lacking on-ride special effects or even show scenes? With all of the money poured into the outside, it is amazingly strange to see so little in the actual attraction. Has anyone else found this odd? Anyone have any reasons? (Perhaps to add effects in the future, as in Tower?)

PS Don't get me wrong... Everest is a great attraction, and I know that the answer is probably that the budget was better spent making it an AK landmark from the outside, since the ride experience is enjoyable enough as it is.

keen observation! I LOVED EE too but I did kinda notice it was a little bare on the inards. The theming in the que area and outside the attraction were COMPLETELY over the top though, I thought THAT was amazing!:sohappy: Although, it's still a baby, remember what ToT was like upon opening? Things can be added and improved, I have faith!

I3olTz

dxwwf3 said:
BTW, I think the views you get from the lift hill is an effect all in itself. Especially if you are sitting in the front 2 rows during the twisted track. Great stuff.
exactly i always ride front row,the view is spectular u can see everything.

abian

PhilosophyMagic said:
Hi, I am new here. Probably unlike everyone here, I also think EE felt a little bit short in terms of good show scenes. I thought there is going to be some crazy Yeti chasing, or some other artificially-made natural force. You know, one just can't ask to much from Disney, casue they are Disney.

The Adventurer

I have a feeling that they'll embellish it later. It's a great ride, but it is a totally different (and much greater) attraction if you happen to be sitting in the first two seats. I though my eyeballs would be sucked out of the sockets. It was awesome. :p

GoofBall06

the first hill climb, the view is AMAZING. i love looking back and you can see EVERY park and some of the monorail hotels. i will NEVER forget that. its amazing just how high you actually go to be able to see all of that.

CThaddeus

Considering my initial response to it was Matterhorn 2.0, I guess I didn't go into it expecting a lot of effects. I knew the animated Yeti scene would occur, as would the (way too fast) final encounter with the big guy (girl?), but you pretty much get the same from the Matterhorn. You see the glowing eyes of Harold, he growls, and then, depending on which track you're on, you either encounter him once or twice. I suppose there's also the Wells expedition scene and the "snow" off to the left during the initial climb, but otherwise, it's just a lot of twists, turns, dips, and climbs. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it a lot, but it's a roller coaster, and as much as I'd love more things to look at, I know I'm lucky to get the show I do. I wouldn't get nearly the entertainment value from, say, Six Flags. Will they eventually add more to it? Who knows. There are many other things more imporatant for Disney to focus on. Actually, if I were to fix anything about the Expedition: Everest it would be the strangely slow beginning. It feels like a kiddie coaster until the moment you start to go backwards. I'm sure that's intentional, but I was expecting something that moved fast throughout. However, after the bashing the attraction was getting when it first opened, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was when I finally got to ride it myself.

dxwwf3

Yes I think the beginning is the only subpar part of the ride. I really wish they had decided to do more there or have the ride go directly into the main lift hill and possibly add more track elsewhere. Oh well.

CaptainMichael

dxwwf3 said:
Yes I think the beginning is the only subpar part of the ride. I really wish they had decided to do more there or have the ride go directly into the main lift hill and possibly add more track elsewhere. Oh well.
They've got nothing but time to add something.

I somewhat agree. I think the queue & first half of the ride is a great build up. I noticed all of the warnings, books, postings on the Yeti & how dangerous it is.. the scenery & climb is awesome & the "torn track" is really neat. I loved going backwards, etc, but I felt like after that it lost it's originality. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun.. it just felt plain after that. I guess I thought it would run along the lines of "Revenge of the Mummy" at USF & have coaster portions along with slower/scene portions. I barely saw the Yeti.. I was almost hoping he would "chase" or "attack" you with a more obvious nature. (ie: the t-rex in Dinosaur.. that provokes some fear)

Again, the final result was not equal to the build up they created. Great coaster, awesome view & mountain, but less than I expected.. overall. :zipit:

RedFoxRunner said:
I barely saw the Yeti.. I was almost hoping he would "chase" or "attack" you with a more obvious nature. (ie: the t-rex in Dinosaur.. that provokes some fear)

Folks we're dealing with a ride here that is based largely on the folklore and sightings of this "beast" by the Nepalese. There has to be a bit of ambiguity here. It allows the Guest to use an incredible thing that sometimes it appears some have forgotten about, their imagination. (Head on over to Figment, he can help :) )

The Yeti is supposed to be fleeting and mysterious, it's to make you want to ride again to see a little more of him that you couldn't see in the first, second, third, or fourth ride.

This ride is wonderfully rich it traditional story and folklore, it doesn't need to be embellished by any more ride scenes or special effects. IMHO it's perfect as it is. :)

C&D

I bet the more you ride the attraction, the more you'll see. Everytime I go, I see something new; sometimes you gotta look harder. There are so many details, that if you don't look, you don't see, and at 60 mph, they go by pretty fast. Become part of the ride, don't expect Disney to hand over all their secrets without a little work (really can't call it work though). Don't look for instant gratification, the Imagineers are a lot smarter than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom