Something special for 4 yr old girl's first (probably only) visit?

Mickwine

Original Poster
We live in Israel and we're coming to the US to visit my parents who live in NJ and are taking us down to WDW in a couple of weeks. While I've been there many times, this is the first time, and probably the only time for a long time, that we are taking my daughters (4 1/2 & 2 1/2). I want to do something special for them to make the visit extra-awesome that doesn't involve a character meal. My father suggests an autograph book but our friends have told us that only their older children (5-6) enjoyed getting autographs. What do you all think?

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Mickwine

Original Poster
Character meals really are the way to go, but trust me just being there will stick with her for a while!

The thing about the character meals for us is that we eat kosher. And though I know that there is kosher food available, I've eaten it before and I know that it is very overpriced, not very tasty, and we're kinda on a budget. I was hoping to spend a bit less for something just as memorable.

If we do go the character meal option, which one do you think is the best? We've heard that the princess meal at Akershus is probably the best for little girls. True?

Figment1989

on the kosher idea - I know Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe has a kosher option on their menu...my boyfriend eats kosher and he got that last time that we went. Also, as per disney.com,
"Q. Will I be able to find kosher products at Walt Disney World® Resort? A. Kosher dietary needs can be accommodated at most table-service restaurants. Request this service 24 hours in advance at (407) WDW-DINE†. In addition, kosher food products are available at select merchandise locations throughout Walt Disney World® Resort."

Mickwine

Original Poster
I'm no expert for kosher food .. but why not try vegetarian ? Shoudln't be that overpriced :shrug:
I'm not sure that the food is really the issue as much as the cost vs the experience. My kids don't really eat that much food anyway. I'm questioning whether or not that given the fact that the food is not really going to be a factor in their enjoyment, is there something which is comparable in enjoyment but not as costly.

minnie2000

How about breakfast at the Crystal Palace? The prices are not too high, and it is a buffet so you can chose your own food. There is lots of fruit, and bread and cooked breakfast, eggs, pancakes etc, would that sort of food be OK? Otherwise you could call the day before to arrange for Kosher food if possible.

Prices are $18.99 for adults, and children $10.99 and I think your 2 and a half year old would eat free. See this page: http://allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cpb.htm

I have 2 girls, who like yours, don't eat a great deal, but they have enjoyed going there since they were 2, and they are now 10 and 7, and it is still their favourite place to eat at WDW! The characters you meet are Pooh Bear, Piglet, Eyeore and Tigger.

Have a great time!

Mickwine

Original Poster
I have 2 girls, who like yours, don't eat a great deal, but they have enjoyed going there since they were 2, and they are now 10 and 7, and it is still their favourite place to eat at WDW! The characters you meet are Pooh Bear, Piglet, Eyeore and Tigger.

Thanks for all the info about the meals, but I was really looking for creative ideas about other options. Like the autograph books or something like that.

Anyway, very much appreciate all your help.

macsmom

I would find out where the characters are going to be that day and do the autograph thing. I hate the standing in line thing, but having their pictures taken with the characters would be memorable.

danna

DisneyMusician2

Character meal is the way to go. I have pictures of my nieces at their last character meal. They were around the same age, give or take a year, and they still talk about it a year later.

You won't regret it.:D

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Mickey ears. Get them stitched with their names. A great keepsake they can treasure for years to come.

I think autograph hunting in WDW is more stressful that its worth with two young children. Lines are long and after the first few the kids are harder to keep excited while they wait. DS has been 8 times and has never even considered autographs. :shrug:

Pins and lanyards are another keepsake worth considering. Pin trading can be overwhelming for some and an absolute joy for others. The great aspect of trading is the CMs are much more accessible that characters! Again, DS has a lanyard full of pins that are a great memento but he's never really gotten into trading [he buys pins he likes and doesn't see any logic in then trading them away!].

Although not cheap, the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique princess make-over packages are a great way to pamper little girls. The make-over won't last, but pictures and memories of how special they're made to feel will. They're pampered like real princesses as it's done and then for the rest of the time they're made up the extra attention they'll get will make them feel like they really are royalty!

I'm sure you'll find an option the girls will enjoy.

Mickwine

Original Poster
Thanks so much! Great ideas!

Mickey ears. Get them stitched with their names. A great keepsake they can treasure for years to come.

Where can you get these in the Magic Kingdom?

Although not cheap, the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique princess make-over packages are a great way to pamper little girls.
Where is this? Is there info about this online?

Thanks again!

kjrmorgan

Thanks so much! Great ideas!

Where can you get these in the Magic Kingdom?

Where is this? Is there info about this online?

Thanks again!
You can get the hats on Main Street - the store is called The Chapeau. Just head to the right hand side after you pass under the Train Station.
The Bippity Boppity Boutique info is available on http://allearsnet.com/btp/bibbidi.htm. There are 2 locations - one in the Castle and one at Downtown Disney. Just a word of caution - the youngest your daughters can be to take part of this is 3 years old...

For the record, both of my daughters have their own ears and my oldest has been to the Boutique (my youngest was only 2 at the time) and they both still remember the day!!

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

sring

Couple of suggestions. Go to Mickey's Toontown Fair, and get their picture taken with Mickey; If they aren't afraid of heights, ask the monorail attendants if there's room to ride with the driver (very neat and different perspective); My younger child liked the Family Magic Tour in MK - which is a treasure hunt through the MK followed by a character meet-and-greet (we met Peter Pan and Wendy then they took us to front row seats at Mickey's Philharmagic).

I would definitely do the autograph book ... you can also take a picture of them with the character and put it into the book next to the autograph (some stores even sell books made for this), my dd's, ages 9 and 14, still get autographs even tho they have the character already ... my advice is to hit the characters early ... the maps tell you exactly where the characters are and the times guide tells you when ... also, because you mentioned you're on a budget, I would avoid souvenir shopping at WDW and hit the stores nearby if you can ... Disney even has a discount store on International Drive ... have a magical trip !!!!

mickey&me

Don't bother with planning an autograph hunt unless you're positive your girls won't be freaked out by very large animals (my son was until he was almost 5). We did an autograph book one year, but he never looks at it. On our last trip, I bought a white baseball cap at Wal-Mart for $2 and a retractable Sharpie marker. Now he wears his autographs. I also know someone who got all her autographs on a cotton pillowcase, which was cute. The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is really cute, and the little ones feel so "grown-up" and special (which is why I always commented on how pretty they looked to them).

You'll be surprised what your children take home as their favorite memory. Despite all the character meals, my kids mostly talk about riding the boat from Poly to MK; seeing Flights of Wonder; & riding TTA (which they have now imagined into a Buzzlightyear & Stitch coaster).
So I wouldn't worry about doing the extra special, they will be @ WDW.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I did not read every post but I get the idea....you are looking for memorable stuff that will not break the bank and character meals are kind of out due to dietary restrictions.

So here are the suggestions from the little green guy...

Get autograph books and do as many of the character meet and greets that you can and take a ton of pictures. In all probability they are not going to remember every detail of the trip but the books and the pictures will live forever. Personalized mouse ears are another good inexpensive keep sake. Along those same lines a personalized Christmas ornament is another good idea. Do not worry about doing every attraction or show remember it is there trip. If they want to go to the pool and the arcade take them and bring the camera. When you get to the parks get some 1st visit buttons. There is no guarantee but most CM's give little ones with 1st visit buttons a little extra attention.

Eyekimore

OMG-
There is the cutest "Tea Party" at the Grand Floridian. Most little girls dress up like pincesses. They greet each family and announce your entry. We watched the greeting in the lobby one trip. It was so cute- I cried! (and prayed for a little girl some day.....)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
There are a lot of things you can do, at lots of price points. I have a 4 year-old son, so what we've done for him might be a bit different, but some suggestions...

• Pictures...everywhere. My son loves looking at them over and over again. Take your camera and shoot everything. And get a photopass so you can gather the Disney photos and decide later whether to by some or all of them. You can also get great books and CDs of your photopass photos that make a nice keepsake.
  • The autograph books are nice, especially if you put pics into the books.
  • If there's one running when you're there, you might try the Pirate and Princess party, which is a hard-ticket event at the MK. It costs extra but I've heard and seen great things.
  • The Bibbidi Bobbity Boutique has various packages where they can make your daughters into a princess (combinations of hair, makeup, dress, etc.). There is a BBB in Downtown Disney and one in the MK. You should make an appointment in advance if you can. Info at the Disneyworld web site.
  • Get them a "first-time" visitor button/pin from Guest Services. You never know what might happen as you travel the park with the button.
  • At Downtown Disney (and possibly elsewhere) you can get a personalized Disney t-shirt made with your choice of characters.

Oh, and I agree with you on the Kosher food. I've tried some of the Kosher stuff at counter and table-service restaurants (my sister and her family keep Kosher) and can't recommend any of it. Depending upon how "glatt" you keep, I can give some recommendations of where you can find some vegetarian stuff that is relatively good and satisfying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom