Something needs to change with MK close on non Party Nights

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO, while the TTC served to insert a hard break between the outside and inside environments for Day guests, them spilling over to any available means out kills the experience for those onsite guests.

There are already capacity issues between the TTC and Magic Kingdom on the resort loop with the stop at the Grand Floridian at times being a nightmare no matter what time the park closes.

juniorthomas

This is why I very rarely visit MK.
But you still visit. ;)

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
I went every summer during all of the 1980's myself nor any if my sibling recall having to show anything to ride any monorail loop.
This resort guest stuff is rubbish.
My Wife and I had our first trip to WDW in 1986 and we both were old enough to remember, leaving our resort POFQ we had to show our room key I know this will sound bad but I remember feeling special that this was just for resort guest

belle & ariel

The bus service is not any better at closing. Last week it took over an hour and a half to get from MK at closing to SSR. We walk fast and were in the third row. It took three buses till we were able to get on. It was almost a half hour between buses. I remember at closing when a full bus left another would be there in a few minutes. It seemed like a lot of the hotel bus lines were overflowing out of their rows. Disney used to do so much better.
We were also shocked at the lines for the ferry boats.
We've had APs the last couple years and spend over 50 days each year at Disney. Transportation has definitely had severe cutbacks over that time. We will not be renewing.

cat hem

I can honestly say I've stayed once for the fireworks. Most of the time if I'm at MK I beat feet to the bus and get the heck out of dodge! We have our route through the shops to avoid the MainStreet mob. I can't tolerate the mob scene during fireworks and parades. I have fond memories and pictures of those from years ago when Iphones didn't mar the view, and the crowds weren't overwhelming.

Victor Kelly

First a word about the past for the resort monorail. I am 44, with 40 trips under my belt. All of our visits were in peak season every year up until the mid 90s. I am old enough to remember that we did not show a room key to get on the resort line. Not saying it did not happen, but it never happened to us. Like Mom said, they were inconsistent.

Getting out of MK has always been a major hassle. If they have 3 ferries running, or even two, that is 500+ every 15 minutes. Each monorail holds over 350. The buses have helped a lot because a lot of resort guests use them and that takes pressure off of the monorails and ferry boats.

But let's face cold hard facts here. Disney is pushing for higher crowds all the time now. Especially at MK. But they do not have transportation capacity to match the park capacity.

My last trip was January 2015 during the marathon craziness. The buses helped that go directly to resorts. We stayed at Pop and I drove everywhere. I grew up having to take public buses to school, so I hate them now. The monorail was down 90% of our trip. That left the ferries which I am all to happy to use.

If Disney wants to use the resort line for all guests that is their decision. Personally, it should be based upon crowd levels only. But monorails have traditionally are not the best transport there. The ferries are kings.

PrincessNelly_NJ

When we were there at the end of September there was a lady in the scooter who did the dessert party at the Halloween party (as did we). She did not need the scooter. When we got to the plaza viewing area she parked the scooter in the front where it was supposed to be, however she was supposed to remain on it. Instead she left the viewing area on foot and walked over to Tomorrowland to get a bucket of popcorn and walked back. She proceeded to stand (and not sit in the scooter) and record the fireworks on a selfie stick blocking the view for all of us who got our places to watch EARLIER than she did. So, there is your benefit for using a scooter when it is not needed.
Ehhh doesn't mean she was faking. My mother in law uses a scooter at disney because the amount of walking is too much for her knees.
She is otherwise very mobile on a normal day. She mixes her use of scooter and walking when we are in the parks.

Also, still don't see how that was a benefit of renting a scooter at hundreds of dollars for the week?

kes601

Ehhh doesn't mean she was faking. My mother in law uses a scooter at disney because the amount of walking is too much for her knees.
She is otherwise very mobile on a normal day. She mixes her use of scooter and walking when we are in the parks.

Also, still don't see how that was a benefit of renting a scooter at hundreds of dollars for the week?
Whether she was faking / taking advantage or not, she needed to SIT during the Halloween fireworks, that is why the space was reserved. But, that isn't what this thread is about.

Deadphish

Whether she was faking / taking advantage or not, she needed to SIT during the Halloween fireworks, that is why the space was reserved. But, that isn't what this thread is about.
Is there a sign saying that people in that area have to remain seated, wasn’t there a cm there to enforce this rule? Sorry but it doesn’t sound like she needed to sit while in that area.

kes601

I disagree. There is no rule that she sits. It's her choice.
Umm, if the space is blocked off from people who get there first only to have somebody get there and stand with a selfie stick blocking those behind who were there an hour before she arrived, THAT IS AN ISSUE and GAMING THE SYSTEM.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Umm, if the space is blocked off from people who get there first only to have somebody get there and stand with a selfie stick blocking those behind who were there an hour before she arrived, THAT IS AN ISSUE and GAMING THE SYSTEM.
What? Have you never attended the dessert party? They try to group wheelchairs and ecv in one area towards the fence so they are out of the way of other guest.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Which, again I said I have no issue with IF THEY SIT. And, yes I have done several other dessert parties with no issues.

Doesn't really matter if they sit or stand if they're in an area that is dedicated to those who need it. It's easy for someone who doesn't have a disability to judge those who do, your perspective may be different if you've walked a mile in their shoes. If you aren’t in there with them, you also don’t get a vote.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

Which, again I said I have no issue with IF THEY SIT. And, yes I have done several other dessert parties with no issues.
Everyone else stands. Why can't they? As long as the ecv is in the reserved area for parking ECVs, they can sit or stand however they please. There's no rule.

Should children be required to sit in their strollers the whole time too? No.

kes601

Doesn't really matter if they sit or stand if they're in an area that is dedicated to those who need it.
I'm bowing out of this thread. My opinion is obviously different from yours.
Everyone else stands. Why can't they? As long as the ecv is in the reserved area for parking ECVs, they can sit or stand however they please. There's no rule.

Should children be required to sit in their strollers the whole time too? No.
This is my last reply to this thread and then I will be done, perhaps I wasn't clear. They stood next to the ECV -- in front of the "reserved blue taped off area", therefore standing in front of and blocking the view of those who had been there for an hour longer than they were there.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm bowing out of this thread. My opinion is obviously different from yours.

This is my last reply to this thread and then I will be done, perhaps I wasn't clear. They stood next to the ECV -- in front of the "reserved blue taped off area", therefore standing in front of and blocking the view of those who had been there for an hour longer than they were there.

Great as your opinion is irrelevant here. It doesn't matter if they stand next to or ontop of the ECV, if they're a disabled person and they're in an area for disabled persons they can do whatever is comfortable. If you don't like that, don't go.

Trackmaster

Then...maybe don’t go to parks? Or only go in slow season? Maybe you already are, which if so, good idea- I get the ‘some people don’t value their time’ part, but the other is you stating your time is more important than others, which, unless you’re a heart surgeon, no, it isn’t.

That’s not to say you aren’t entitled to walk to a queue with a shorter line, or walk around slower people. By all means. And I do tend to also “play thru” people just standing around at quick serve queues, and those who decide to hold a family meeting directly in front of the FP entrance. But it’s coming off as ‘out of my way, plebes’ which, when I get that vibe from people at parks, I tend to make sure they get to wait like the rest of us.

No, I just believe in virtual queuing systems. In this day and age, stand-by lines just make no sense to me. There's no reason to stand around like a caged animal in one place for hours just because groups of people are currently on the rides that you want to get on. There's no reason to force people to stand around like this without any other options because other people are OK with this doing asinine exercise.

If you want to see a doctor, would you wait outside his office for weeks on end for him to see you, or would you make an appointment?

I'm sure everyone more or less values than time, but a lot of people have this ideology that you're more worthy to ride something because you're better at standing in one place and walking 5 feet every 10 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom