Someone please save Pooh at EPCOT

flynnibus

Premium Member
Exactly. They could easily do what they do in Tokyo and maintain a few structure queue meet and greets like they do in their two parks.

Disney is just too cheap to provide attendants and staffing that way.

They designed the meet and greets now as attractions, such as Fairy Tale Hall where they are able to distribute it and sell it as fastpass and now genie plus.

The wdw way lije fairytale hall is not cheaper - it’s more because it’s the scaled solution.

Wdw’s model is to br able to provide the m&g as a continuous and scaled thing (3 rooms at same time etc) where characters can swap out continuously.

Adhoc characters are not continuous and only work shifts then disappear. They also don’t require expensive fixed infrastructure.

celluloid

The wdw way lije fairytale hall is not cheaper - it’s more because it’s the scaled solution.

Wdw’s model is to br able to provide the m&g as a continuous and scaled thing (3 rooms at same time etc) where characters can swap out continuously.

Adhoc characters are not continuous and only work shifts then disappear. They also don’t require expensive fixed infrastructure.
My point was that it was cheaper to not also offer it.
Cheaper may not be the best operative word in terms of operation on surface, but ROI vs guest experience.

The fixed infrastructure operates as a venue and is budgeted as such. It also now brings in revenue and distributes crowds. It can also be manipulated to counting as formerly fast pass and could be Genie Plus. A big selling point for photopass photos and saves money by giving a consistent home base. It allows for less staffing with efficiency. Remember the meet and greet cost less than a ride that occupied the space and cost less.tomoperste than it did. It can have variable staffing and still operate with longer waits or adjust for "business needs" of crowd level. You can have princesses and their attendants/photographers ER for the day if it is slow.

It's a bigger ROI for WDW. It is nice, like Mickey and Minnie it gives a better likelihood to meet who you want, but it certainly saves Disney the cost of those same characters free roaming. This proven by the fact that they could theoretically have both while avoiding double exposure of the character and options but instead are fine with how it is.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Cheaper may not be the best operative word in terms of operation on surface, but ROI vs guest experience.

The fixed infrastructure operates as a venue and is budgeted as such. It also now brings in revenue and distributes crowds. It can also be manipulated to counting as formerly fast pass and could be Genie Plus.

The concept predates both genie and fastpass plus… so it obviously can’t be part of the motivation discussion about why m&gs ar wdw are designed this way.

It can have variable staffing and still operate with longer waits or adjust for "business needs" of crowd level. You can have princesses and their attendants/photographers ER for the day if it is slow.

Which when compared to a traditional m&g is the same. So again, the wdw model decision isn’t based around that

It's a bigger ROI for WDW. It is nice, like Mickey and Minnie it gives a better likelihood to meet who you want, but it certainly saves Disney the cost of those same characters free roaming

It’s about ‘how do i ensure more people can meet the highest demand characters? ‘ They spend money building out infrastructure so they can run three at a time continuously without significant gaps — which tbe traditional m&g model would not support.

That is why it was done. Not because it’s cheaper… not because of genie… but because it meant higher capacity m&g

celluloid

The concept predates both genie and fastpass plus… so it obviously can’t be part of the motivation discussion about why m&gs ar wdw are designed this way.

Which when compared to a traditional m&g is the same. So again, the wdw model decision isn’t based around that

It’s about ‘how do i ensure more people can meet the highest demand characters? ‘ They spend money building out infrastructure so they can run three at a time continuously without significant gaps — which tbe traditional m&g model would not support.

That is why it was done. Not because it’s cheaper… not because of genie… but because it meant higher capacity m&g
Just to clarify I never said fastpass plus. This concept 100 percent was accelerated and expanded during fastpass advent when surveys asked guests what minimum amount of things done made them feel like their day was worth it and they could distribute queues. Prior to this in the early 90s Mickey and Minnie/random fab were the only m&g operated this way consistently.

The point now is why not offer both? Cost. Enough people are happy with it for them. If it were about most people possible meeting characters then you would also be pleasing the people that want organic interactions that don't want to wait in line for it.

The concept is older but it did in fact accelerate with the profiting of photopass. Prior to that. Meet and greet queue locations were primarily Mickey and Minnie with few outliers.

Photopass close to prints money.
As now does virtual queues need people.to.jeep.gojng and waiting elsewhere.

A higher capacity meet and greet means more photopass payments.

It's a great guest satisfaction but at the heart was to easily.make meet.snd greets most profitable.

You have a ton of people whose meeting would be a quick photo and they would be clicked and counted. But less photos and profit off of the situation.

Tokyo's set up, the characters interact and meet far more people. (Check this out, Tokyo.does not feature Photopass. No coincidence)
As do Disneyland's and WDWs up until recent decades. The quality of the meet I subjective but not everyone wants to spend more than fifteen seconds and plenty are happy with a hello and picture.
It's great that these provide interactions that are longer.

But ultimately, between attendants needed, photopass and costumers stationed and transportation null as it is central for a bunch of characters in once. It is cheaper to operate.

There is a reason we lost attraction space for these things. They make photopass millions.

If they really just cared about the number of people.meeting that character without the cost, you would be able to.keet that character out in the parks as well as fairytale hall.

Protection from the elements is one of the biggest plusses for guests waiting experiencing and making sure greet is not canceled due to rain.

Long story short:

You get a lot less photopass sales as people are happy to snap a shot, say hello and move on vs a photopass stationed position.
And now amplified as you can't sell a virtual queue price to an organic meet and greet.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a great guest satisfaction but at the heart was to easily.make meet.snd greets most profitable.

Note what i said:
“but because it meant higher capacity m&g”

“The wdw way lije fairytale hall is not cheaper - it’s more because it’s the scaled solution.”

I didn’t say guest satisfaction nor giving people what they wanted. I said it’s how they scaled m&gs

You can go on its own tangent of why the company wants m&g or not….

celluloid

Note what i said:
“but because it meant higher capacity m&g”

“The wdw way lije fairytale hall is not cheaper - it’s more because it’s the scaled solution.”

I didn’t say guest satisfaction nor giving people what they wanted. I said it’s how they scaled m&gs

You can go on its own tangent of why the company wants m&g or not….

Right, and I clarified. We would be getting semantical on the word cheaper. It cost Disney slightly more to operate to create and keep a much bigger return on investment facts was my point.

Cheaper in investment, not necessarily cheaper up front.

Fairytale Hall makes more money than having them as roaming characters. So it is why they do things that way.

Last edited:

wdrive

I’ve seen more bloggers in a day at Disneyland than I’ve seen my entire life going to WDW.

People need to stop making excuses for Disney being cheap in Florida.

It’s not really them being cheap. It’s significantly cheaper to send out a single character roaming than it is to staff a meet and greet all day.

The Magic Kingdom has the most number of characters out than any other Disney park in the world. And has done for a long while now.

drizgirl

It’s not really them being cheap. It’s significantly cheaper to send out a single character roaming than it is to staff a meet and greet all day.

The Magic Kingdom has the most number of characters out than any other Disney park in the world. And has done for a long while now.
MK also has the most attendance of any theme park in the world.

And you say it isn’t them being cheap but then explain how much cheaper it is?

wdrive

MK also has the most attendance of any theme park in the world.

And you say it isn’t them being cheap but then explain how much cheaper it is?

I said it’s cheaper to send out a single character roaming than it is to have a meet and greet with a queueline.

I was referencing a post saying WDW was being cheap for not having characters out roaming like Disneyland does.

Not saying that I prefer WDW’s approach by the way

wdrive

Mickey has 3 rooms on town square?
Does each princess have multiple rooms in fantasyland or is it one each?
Does aerial have 2 rooms?

Princess meet is 4 rooms with 2 Princesses per room. Ariel is 2 rooms. The hours they’re open is a lot longer compared to other parks too. Pete’s Sideshow also has relatively long hours too compared to other parks meet and greets

Enchanted Tales with Belle is also very labor intensive

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom