Someone is Selling Restaurant Reservations....

copcarguyp71

While I realize this makes ressies harder to get for regular folks I have to ask how this is any different from a travel agent doing it for you?

We typically chose an agent or booking service that will take care of trying for the reservations on our behalf. I just don't see how this current iteration is any different....both make money for providing a service that is allowed by Disney.

If the past seven years on this forum has taught me anything it is that whining about "unfair this or that" will do nothing more than to incite yes men...but change will only happen if there is profit in it...parks are packed...restaurants are packed...DVC is selling...moichandising is a non stop juggernaut...so, guests inability to get into BOG is not even a blip on the radar.

HolleBolleGijs

While I realize this makes ressies harder to get for regular folks I have to ask how this is any different from a travel agent doing it for you?

We typically chose an agent or booking service that will take care of trying for the reservations on our behalf. I just don't see how this current iteration is any different....both make money for providing a service that is allowed by Disney.

If the past seven years on this forum has taught me anything it is that whining about "unfair this or that" will do nothing more than to incite yes men...but change will only happen if there is profit in it...parks are packed...restaurants are packed...DVC is selling...moichandising is a non stop juggernaut...so, guests inability to get into BOG is not even a blip on the radar.

Because a travel agent doesn't hoard reservations. You tell travel agent when you want to eat, and travel agent makes the reservation for you, specifically in response to your request. Also, Disney travel, agents generally don't charge you for their services. So having a travel agent do it is really no different than you doing it yourself.

The company in question just makes a bunch of reservations in advance, lists them online, and sells them.

copcarguyp71

Because a travel agent doesn't hoard reservations. You tell travel agent when you want to eat, and travel agent makes the reservation for you, specifically in response to your request. Also, Disney travel, agents generally don't charge you for their services. So having a travel agent do it is really no different than you doing it yourself.

The company in question just makes a bunch of reservations in advance, lists them online, and sells them.

While Travel agents do not charge for their services they certainly do not do it out of the kindness of their heart either...there is money being made. Sorry...I realize it is somewhat different but I see it as a different branch of the same tree. Disney allows it...so we need to suck it up. Very soon I see a time when Fastpasses will cost money too...everything is beginning to cost extra at Disney and if they figure a way to charge money in house for what this company is doing then I can guarantee we will be paying extra for "preferred" reservation status. It is the way of the "world" these days.

lunchbox1175

You have to have tickets first to get FastPass+ reservations so extending this to dining reservations (and shortening the booking window to 90 days) would still be fair. If you aren't purchasing tickets until later how are you going to book FP+?
First, I want to make this clear....I think selling the reservations is super shady and shouldn't be allowed, so I am not arguing that, I'm just saying that I don't see an easy solution that is fair to all guests. For us, dining reservations are way more important than FP's, I don't worry about FP+, we usually go during the non-peak times of year, so ride waits usually aren't that bad, as well as we are usually at the park at rope drop, so we go straight to the rides that we feel we must do but don't want to wait long for. I haven't had issue with getting a fast pass for any attraction that I want to do a couple days out from our trip and in all honesty, we frequently don't even use our FP's that we booked ahead of time, as we haven't usually needed them. Granted, we don't do the crazy long M&G lines like Elsa that are always unavailable at that point, so I'm sure that makes it a bit easier for us. We just make sure we make them all for the morning, so that we can get additional ones after using them. I guess to us, dining is more important than rides when it comes to "must do's", I will be more upset if I can't get a reservation or into a restaurant that we want to eat at. If I have to wait for a ride because I don't have a fast pass that is one thing, but if I have to leave the park to eat because the restaurants are full, then I would feel I wasted time. The other thing I just realized with making a ticket mandatory is that I don't really think that would change things that much would it? I'm thinking it would only really effect BOG, CRT and maybe Crystal Palace, as the majority of other restaurants that I feel are difficult to get into are all outside the parks and wouldn't require tickets anyways ie...Chef Mickeys, 'Ohana, Cali Grill and some of the Springs Restuarants. I think the 90 day window is probably a good idea tho.

chiefs11

I found the website, and this company is booking reservations and canceling them at a predetermined time to give their customer a good chance of rebooking them. This is awful. I reread the first page of the thread, and it wasn't clear exactly what was happening-- whether they were holding reservations or just sending availability notices.

To stop this, I think they should hold cancelled reservations in the system for some random amount of time before it becomes available again. If enough people have "their" reservations from this company booked up before they get them because it didn't show up until 13 hours later, it might help shut them down.
That is a perfect solution for this. Easy to implement and probably highly effective!

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Then you're providing a prime example of why Travel Agents should not be allowed to do this.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
While Travel agents do not charge for their services they certainly do not do it out of the kindness of their heart either...there is money being made. Sorry...I realize it is somewhat different but I see it as a different branch of the same tree. Disney allows it...so we need to suck it up. Very soon I see a time when Fastpasses will cost money too...everything is beginning to cost extra at Disney and if they figure a way to charge money in house for what this company is doing then I can guarantee we will be paying extra for "preferred" reservation status. It is the way of the "world" these days.

I simply do not care about "the way of the world." There's right and then there's wrong and this simply falls into the wrong behavior.

copcarguyp71

I simply do not care about "the way of the world." There's right and then there's wrong and this simply falls into the wrong behavior.

Hey...I get it and understand but as I said in the other quote you referenced above...unless there is profit in making a change they probably are not all that concerned. There will always be someone who manipulates the system in one form or another. Disney is the victim of their own over planning machine in which every bit of minutiae on vacation is micromanaged and we are simply the collateral damage.

mergatroid

Would it be wrong to hire my wife out for the day? She'll get you free parking for the day as she's an AP holder, she can also book you 3 FP's for the day and will talk to you, a lot! :)

Monkee Girl

I found the website, and this company is booking reservations and canceling them at a predetermined time to give their customer a good chance of rebooking them. This is awful. I reread the first page of the thread, and it wasn't clear exactly what was happening-- whether they were holding reservations or just sending availability notices.

To stop this, I think they should hold cancelled reservations in the system for some random amount of time before it becomes available again. If enough people have "their" reservations from this company booked up before they get them because it didn't show up until 13 hours later, it might help shut them down.

Edit: @dreamfinder found it on page 4, but I missed it when he/she posted it.
Since these Jackwagons are charging $15 to the customer to get these reservations...maybe Disney should charge $15 to cancel the reservation.

Monkee Girl

I just hate the whole idea. My family is going November 29th to December 4th and on our 180 day mark we couldn't get a single restaurant or time we wanted. It was insane. Now, we normally go Easter week and never had an issue getting what we wanted. We assumed (yea...I know...) this 'after Holiday' week would be even better but we were wrong. I attributed it to possibly being because people arriving for Thanksgiving would stay that week and so would have had their 180 days already. There is also the Pop Warner thing, right? all kinds of possibilities why we couldn't get some of our favorites. Then I saw this and I couldn't believe my eyes. I know it's not the only reason we had such trouble but to know it would be part of the reason angers me so much. We play by the rules, do what Disney tells us, and we get screwed.

And I will say that as much as I love these restaurants, none of them are so important that it would cause me to pay a fee to a non Disney site for the non-guaranteed chance of getting a seat. Sorry. And it amazes me that there are families out there THAT desperate. But hey...that's just me.

And what's worse is I know Disney will come up with a solution that will make it harder for the guests in the end. Just like shop lifting; the customer suffers with higher pricing. And we have seen Disney do it before with their solutions to the disability passes and with the added $10 hold on reservations because of people taking 2 places and cancelling the one they don't want. So I am interested to see what they do.

Ok. sorry for the ramble. This news really irked me when I saw it. I really hope Disney finds a way and shuts them all down.

Last edited:

JourneysEnd

I just hate the whole idea. My family is going November 29th to December 4th and on our 180 day mark we couldn't get a single restaurant or time we wanted. It was insane. Now, we normally go Easter week and never had an issue getting what we wanted. We assumed (yea...I know...) this 'after Holiday' week would be even better but we were wrong. I attributed it to possibly being because people arriving for Thanksgiving would stay that week and so would have had their 180 days already. There is also the Pop Warner thing, right? all kinds of possibilities why we couldn't get some of our favorites. Then I saw this and I couldn't believe my eyes. I know it's not the only reason we had such trouble but to know it would be part of the reason angers me so much. We play by the rules, do what Disney tells us, and we get screwed.

And I will say that as much as I love these restaurants, none of them are so important that it would cause me to pay a fee to a non Disney site for the non-guaranteed chance of getting a seat. Sorry. And it amazes me that there are families out there THAT desperate. But hey...that's just me.

And what's worse is I know Disney will come up with a solution that will make it harder for the guests in the end. Just like shop lifting; the customer suffers with higher pricing. And we have seen Disney do it before with their solutions to the handycap passes and with the added $10 hold on reservations because of people taking 2 places and cancelling the one they don't want. So I am interested to see what they do.

Ok. sorry for the ramble. This news really irked me when I saw it. I really hope Disney finds a way and shuts them all down.
You're correct. Disney will find a way to shut them down and just like the disability issues it will end up making it harder for the real customers. It's a shame but what can they do?

JourneysEnd

What if there was a $25 non-refundable fee when you booked? It would be taken off the bill when you dined, but not refunded if you cancelled. Would be a pain, but I bet reservations would open up. I think part of the problem is people making reservations "just in case" and then cancelling at the last moment.

Jon81uk

What if there was a $25 non-refundable fee when you booked? It would be taken off the bill when you dined, but not refunded if you cancelled. Would be a pain, but I bet reservations would open up. I think part of the problem is people making reservations "just in case" and then cancelling at the last moment.

The issue is that dining booking is at 180 days and FP+ at 60 days. I might reserve dinner 4 months before I am in the park, but then can't get the FP to line up, or the park hours change or the firework timings change then I might need to change the time of dinner. If they allow a change of time/restaurant for free, that would be OK but charging $25 to cancel and rebook would be awful.

Personally I am in favour of shortening down the booking window to 90 days, that way more people know their plans, will book once and fix it first time. Maybe also copy FP+ and require park admission to be in place to book restaurants inside a park.

DisneyJoe

Here's the difference between the site in question and what travel agents do:

Travel agents do this:
- each agent has clients that wish to have certain ADR's for their trip. Agents either call or use the online system (when doing it online, they are logged in AS the client and have the client credit card info, with the client permission). We then make the ADR's for the client, as they requested. If a family is taking a 4 day trip, the most we could obtain for that client is 3 meals per day x 4 days = 12 meals and they would all be directly under that client account and held with the client credit card. Most clients do not reserve 3 meals per day. We do this at no extra charge for our clients who have booked a room or package reservation with us, it is part of our service.
- if the client cancels their trip, we cancel the ADR's

The site in question:
- creates many MDE accounts and grabs as many ADR's as possible and resells them at $15 per reservation
- they use FAKE MDE accounts and then change them over to your name and address once they have confirmed the ADR and your payment
- assuming each MDE account can only make 3 ADR's per day, they may have dozens of fake MDE accounts
- in order to fulfil their demand, they probably have a staff using these accounts and grabbing as many ADR's as possible

Per their site:
"Guaranteed ADR's ($15) - These ADRs are booked under their own email/MDE account under a specified name. When you pay the fee for this service, we will go in and set up the MDE account to reflect your name and address. This will not change the contact name the ADR was booked under (it cannot be changed, even by Disney). We provide you with the name the ADR was booked under, for example, John Doe (we generally use gender neutral names). When you check in at the restaurant, you will check in under the name John Doe since that is the name the ADR is booked under. John Doe is not required to be present to dine. Being that you will have full access to the email account and MDE account associated with the ADR, you can go in and update the Guest Names to your parties names. We do not suggest linking this MDE account to any other MDE accounts you have. This MDE account should be considered a spare or throw away account. Once you have updated your guest list to reflect your parties names, just be sure to check in under the name we provide you. "

"Remember, it is not even necessary to have an MDE account to book a dining reservation. Remember, people call everyday to book ADR's over the phone and they do not have an MDE account. On top of that, people in your party could get sick or otherwise decide not to go. Perhaps Billy decides to stay at the resort and relax so Sarah goes to dinner in his place. All Disney needs for you to check in to dine is the name the ADR is listed under and how many is in your party (always carry your confirmation # just in case). "

In other words, while a Travel Agent only reserves what is needed for their clients, this site reserves as many as it can with the resources that it has to resell them.

Last edited:

HolleBolleGijs

Here's the difference between the site in question and what travel agents do:

Travel agents do this:
- each agent has clients that wish to have certain ADR's for their trip. Agents either call or use the online system (when doing it online, they are logged in AS the client and have the client credit card info, with the client permission). We then make the ADR's for the client, as they requested. If a family is taking a 4 day trip, the most we could obtain for that client is 3 meals per day x 4 days = 12 meals and they would all be directly under that client account and held with the client credit card. Most clients do not reserve 3 meals per day. We do this at no extra charge for our clients who have booked a room or package reservation with us, it is part of our service.
- if the client cancels their trip, we cancel the ADR's

Just curious, is it a rule that TAs can only book 3 ADRs per day? I just did a little experiment, and as long as they're spaced out properly, your average Joe can make as many as can fit. I have 5 Akershus ADRs for one day (which I'm promptly cancelling). Not really relevant to the argument at hand, but it makes it pretty easy to snag a bunch at a time.

DisneyJoe

Just curious, is it a rule that TAs can only book 3 ADRs per day? I just did a little experiment, and as long as they're spaced out properly, your average Joe can make as many as can fit. I have 5 Akershus ADRs for one day (which I'm promptly cancelling). Not really relevant to the argument at hand, but it makes it pretty easy to snag a bunch at a time.
No, I was making an assumption that the system may stop you at 3 meals a day, I know it does warn you when you have them too close together. That really changes things.

If I a client wanted more than 3 per day then I assume we could make them, but I don't know anyone that wants to spend that much time eating...

My point was that we only make what is requested of us, and that is rarely more than one or two per client per day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom