Someone is Selling Restaurant Reservations....

HolleBolleGijs

No, I was making an assumption that the system may stop you at 3 meals a day, I know it does warn you when you have them too close together. That really changes things.

If I a client wanted more than 3 per day then I assume we could make them, but I don't know anyone that wants to spend that much time eating...
Well yeah I don't think it's humanly possible to eat that much food, but it makes it easier for the ADR sellers. I didn't even know it was possible to make that many until I just tried.

thomas998

I see no reason why you would expect Disney to shorten the window for reservations, the long window works and it provides them revenue.. The shorter window would be more advantageous for the more spur of the moment visitor and that visitor isn't as likely to spend as much as someone that has been planning for months... Just think you've been anticipating eating at XYZ for 6 months... do you think you'll spend more money when you get there than someone that was spending a few days, or few weeks... I think it comes down to they know how to maximize profit and this is one of the ways.

horizons82

I just about passed out when I came across this thread (I've been away from the boards for a while).

I work at home several days a week and I'm on-line the entire day as part of my job. The work I do is phone work, which allows me to look up websites while I do my job at the computer.

Last year, when we had annual passes, I was CONSTANTLY checking the WDW reservation system to make ADRs for times when we were planning to go to WDW.

Whenever I was trying to get into a restaurant that was booked, I would sit on the dining reservations page all day while working and would hit refresh...refresh...refresh...perhaps up to 50-100 times in one day until a reservation would open up. I can't think of anytime I wasn't able to get an ADR for everywhere we wanted with this method, even just a couple of days out for the most popular places.

Doing these hundreds of refreshes per day on the reservation page, I noticed that reservations for even the most popular restaurants would open up multiple times a day--even within a few days out, but that these openings might only be available for only SECONDS before they would be scooped up. It was very interesting to watch.

I kind of joked with my wife that I could make money just sitting at the computer all day refreshing the WDW reservations page all day and make reservations for people...having no clue that there were places would actually start doing this.

I don't have much of a problem with simply charging a fee for notifying someone of a reservation opening, but making, holding and then selling a reservation is pretty deplorable in my opinion as it does mean less reservations open at a given time and less opportunity for others to make them on their own.

That said, I think this is also a sign of the problem itself, which is far too much demand built-up with too few options...which seems to be an issue not just with dining but with many parts of WDW.

I almost hate to say this should it ever become a reality, but I can almost see the day where a 3rd party site makes reservations which they sell to people, and then this same 3rd party also BUYS reservations from those people who cancel reservations (which they then sell for a higher price than what they bought them for). This in turn would create a whole group of people who would then simply snag up reservations just for the sake of selling them to this 3 party.

It's almost to the point where ADRs are treated like stocks on the stock market being sold and bought up.

DABIGCHEEZ

Its gonna screw up life for people.... much the way te unscrupulous tour guides did

Just think of it as another upcharge to the WDW vacation.

Disney will start to do this for themselves... just like Cirque & Hoopdee charge more for better seats...they will charge for a prime time ressie. :mad: It is the new Disney way!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Surely the best way to try and prevent this is for Disney to actually CHARGE you $10 per person per reservation (no refunds or cancellations allowed) rather than charge it as a no-show. The money then paid by the honest diner in advance is then refunded against the final bill for the meal or refunded in full if you're on the Disney Dining Plan. The outlay for pirate companies would be huge and they then run the risk of not being able to sell it on.
I realise that the honest diner might lose out if they genuinely can't attend, but these illegal companies must be stopped

bugsbunny

As disgusting as this is, its probably legal and WDW would have to figure out how to get a cease and desist.

But seriously, how is any of this different than the ridiculous nickel and diming WDW is doing itself these days and making it that anything remotely worth doing has a ridiculous up charge and/or a complicated unnecessary system to "try" and get a reservation. The whole vacation has become a bottomless pit of extra charges and a convoluted reservation system that turns it into an itinerary rather than leisure.

Someone figure out how to get a cut of it, I admire that and wish I thought of it first. This is almost as good as when you could buy AAA Diamond parking passes on EBay for $5 and get to park up front at the parks.

Marianm

I'm not sure how Disney will be able to shut them down, but I'm sure they'll do whatever they can. It's very frustrating that I haven't been able to get the reservations I want for my upcoming trip in October- I've been checking daily for 6 months. I can't help but blame sites like this.

copcarguyp71

Another thread that is now locked and my own morbid curiosity made me do some research as to the hard numbers that make it difficult to get ressies...

By my research on Touringplans.com there are 30,389 rooms within WDW resorts (not counting offsite which amounts to more than 30K as well)) as per http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/number-rooms#

By my count there are 74 sit-downs with varying amounts of capacity within all of WDW including DTD and resorts and not all are open for every meal.

Magic Kingdom
Name
Type Open Menu
Cinderella's Royal Table
Table Service Character Dining Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (closes between each meal)
Crystal Palace Buffet Character Dining Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner View MenusBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Liberty Tree Tavern Table Service Character Dining Lunch (until 3p) and Dinner (starting at 4p) View Menus Lunch, Lunch Child's Menu, Dinner
Plaza Restaurant Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus All Day, Children's
Tony's Town Square Restaurant Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Desserts, Beverages, Children's
Epcot
Name
Type Open Menu
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
Table Service Character Dining Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (closes between meals) View Menus Lunch, Children's Lunch, Beverages
Biergarten Buffet Lunch (until 3:45p) and Dinner (starting at 4p) View Menus Lunch, Dinner
Bistro de Paris Table Service Dinner View Menu Dinner
Chefs de France Table Service Lunch and Dinner (closes between meals) View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Beverages, Children's Menu
Coral Reef Restaurant Table Service Lunch and Dinner (closes between meals) View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Beverages
Garden Grill Table Service Character Dining Lunch and Dinner (closes between meals) View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Childrens Lunch, Childrens Dinner, Beverages
La Hacienda de San Angel Table Service Table Service
Le Cellier Steakhouse Table Service Lunch and Dinner (closes between meals) View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's Menu, Beverages
Nine Dragons Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Beverages
Restaurant Marrakesh Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner
Rose and Crown Restaurant Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's
San Angel Inn Restaurante Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Beverages
Teppan Edo Table Service View Menus Lunch & Dinner, Children's, Dessert, Beverages, Sushi
Tokyo Dining Table Service View Menus Lunch & Dinner, Children's, Dessert, Sushi
Tutto Italia Ristorante Table Service View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Beverages
Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria Table Service
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Name
Type Open Menu
'50s Prime Time Cafe
Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Desserts, Beverages
Hollywood & Vine Buffet Character Dining Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Hollywood Brown Derby Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Desserts
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's Menu, Desserts, Specialty Drinks
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's
Animal Kingdom
Name
Type Open Menu
Anandapur Yak and Yeti Restaurant
Table Service lunch and dinner View Menus Lunch and Dinner, Children's Lunch and Dinner
Rainforest Cafe Table Service Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner View MenusBreakfast, Lunch and Dinner, Beverages
Tusker House Buffet all day. Characters at Breakfast. All Day View Menu Breakfast
Downtown Disney Marketplace
Name
Type Open Menu
Cap'n Jack's Restaurant
Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's
Fulton's Crab House Table Service Lunch and Dinner (closes between meals) View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Beverages
Portobello Table Service View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's Lunch and Dinner, Desserts, Beverages
Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney Table Service View Menu Lunch / Dinner
Downtown Disney Westside
Name
Type Open Menu
Bongos Cuban Cafe
Table Service Dinner View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Beverages
House of Blues Restaurant Table Service View Menus Lunch & Dinner, Children's
Planet Hollywood Table Service View Menus All Day, Children's
T-REX Cafe Table Service
Wolfgang Puck Cafe Table Service View Menus Express, Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Specialty Beverages
Wolfgang Puck Dining Room Table Service View Menus Dinner, Children's
Downtown Disney Pleasure Island
Name
Type Open Menu
Paridiso 37
Table Service
Raglan Road Table Service View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's, Pub Menu
The Boardwalk
Name
Type Open Menu
Big River Grille and Brewing Works
Table Service View Menus Lunch, Dinner, Children's Lunch and Dinner, Beverages
ESPN Club Table Service View Menus Lunch and Dinner, Children's Menu, Beverages,
Flying Fish Café Table Service Dinner View Menu Dinner
Kouzzina by Cat Cora Table Service
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Name
Type Open Menu
Maya Grill
Table Service Breakfast and Dinner View MenusBreakfast Buffet, Dinner, Children's Dinner, Desserts
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Name
Type Open Menu
Boatwright's Dining Hall
Table Service Breakfast and Dinner View MenusBreakfast, Dinner, Dinner Children's Menu, Beverages
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Name
Type Open Menu
Shutters at Old Port Royale
Table Service Dinner View Menus Dinner, Children's Dinner
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Name
Type Open Menu
Boma - Flavors of Africa
Buffet Breakfast and Dinner
Jiko - The Cooking Place Table Service Dinner
Disney's Contemporary Resort
Name
Type Open Menu
California Grill
Table Service Dinner View Menus Dinner, Children's
Chef Mickey's Buffet Character Dining Breakfast and Dinner. Sometimes Lunch. View MenusBreakfast, Dinner
The Wave Table Service breakfast, lunch, dinner (closes in between meals) View MenusBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Children's Breakfast, Children's Lunch and Dinner, Desserts, Beverages
Disney's Polynesian Resort
Name
Type Open Menu
'Ohana
Table Service Character Dining Breakfast and Dinner View MenusBreakfast, Dinner
Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show Table Service Dinner
Kona Café Table Service Break, Lunch and Dinner (closes between each meal) View MenusBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Children's Breakfast, Children's Dinner, Beverages and Specialty Drinks, Desserts
Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Name
Type Open Menu
Captain's Grill
Table Service Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (Closes between lunch and dinner) View MenusBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Beverages, Childrens Dinner
Yachtsman Steakhouse Table Service Dinner View Menus Dinner, Children's Menu
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Name
Type Open Menu
Beaches and Cream Soda Shop
Table Service Lunch and Dinner View Menu Lunch and Dinner
Cape May Cafe Buffet Character Dining Breakfast and Dinner
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Name
Type Open Menu
Artist Point
Table Service Dinner View Menus Dinner, Children's, Desserts, Beverages
Whispering Canyon Cafe Table Service Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (closes between each meal) View MenusBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Children's Breakfast, Children's Dinner, Dessert, Beverages
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Name
Type Open Menu
1900 Park Fare
Buffet Character Dining Breakfast and Dinner View MenusBreakfast, Dinner
Citricos Table Service Dinner View Menus Dinner, Beverages, Children's
Garden View Lounge Tea Table Service
Grand Floridian Café Table Service Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (closed between each meal) View MenusBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Children's Breakfast, Children's Lunch and Dinner, Beverages
Narcoossee's Table Service Dinner View Menus Dinner, Children's Menu
Princess Tea Party Table Service Character Dining
Victoria & Albert's Table Service Dinner Only
Wonderland Tea Party Table Service Character Dining
Disney's Old Key West Resort
Name
Type Open Menu
Olivia's Cafe
Table Service Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (closes between breakfast and lunch) View MenusBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Children's Breakfast, Children's Lunch and Dinner, Specialty Beverages
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Name
Type Open Menu
Turf Club Bar and Grill
Table Service View Menus Lunch, Dinner
Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground
Name
Type Open Menu
Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
Table Service Dinner View Menu Dinner Show
Mickey's Backyard BBQ Buffet Character Dining
Trail's End Restaurant Buffet Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (closes between each meal) View MenusBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner

In the most simplistic terms...the ratio of rooms to restaurants then is 410:1....Let that sink in. 410 rooms with varying capacity to one restaurant with varying seating as well. Now, I realize not every room eats sit down at every meal and I am sure that I could calculate average room capacity and restaurant capacity for a more accurate ratio but I think the most base ratio speaks to why ressies are so difficult to get especially when this ratio does not take into account the additional tens of thousands of offsite lodging (over 30K additional) rooms. Disney continues to add rooms but does not keep pace with dining venue capacity. The nefarious company selling ressies may be a contributing factor of difficulties in getting ADR's but I really think Disney themselves have created the issue more than any other cause..

Last edited:

Larry Mondello

There were no reservations available for Boma all last week at 5:00PM. We walked in at 5:00PM on Thursday, got seated immediately and there were plenty of large and small tables available with nobody waiting.

bhg469

Someone compared this to stub hub.. no, stub hub provided a safe way for people to purchase tickets. It may have started as something scummy but they guarantee you get your tickets or they will get money out of those that try to steal from you.

These people are filthy nefarious opportunists. I've worked in the ticketing industry for 7 years now and there is no way too stop this behavior without drastically inconveniencing people who want to legitimately purchase tickets to an event. I am an honest person and these people make me sick.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Just require that the name on the ADR matches up with that of someone in the party that shows up to use it.
That's easy to get round - I book the table under the name Jones, you turn up and say that you're called Jones with an ADR for 5. There's no where in the ADR system that requires you to show ID

Cosmic Commando

There were no reservations available for Boma all last week at 5:00PM. We walked in at 5:00PM on Thursday, got seated immediately and there were plenty of large and small tables available with nobody waiting.
This was years ago now, but I wanted to eat lunch at Yak & Yeti. It took a long time of checking, checking, and checking to get any ADR there at all. We walk in... and I think there were maybe two other tables occupied. :eek:

pajammies

At the moment you don't have to have ID to have an ADR, and not all guests with ADRs stay on property so don't need a band

Yea,but that's what I'm asking. If you are not staying on property you show ID, if you are, you scan your band. Wouldn't this work.
I totally understand it's an inconvenience, but a small one to avoid this from happening.
I know it's not required to show ID right now, my point is, should it be required or will it be required in the future because of people doing this.

Lucky

Yea,but that's what I'm asking. If you are not staying on property you show ID, if you are, you scan your band. Wouldn't this work.
I totally understand it's an inconvenience, but a small one to avoid this from happening.
I know it's not required to show ID right now, my point is, should it be required or will it be required in the future because of people doing this.
Fully agree. If they're not staying on property they must still have some ID. They must have driven there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom