Someone is Selling Restaurant Reservations....

mousehockey37

Well, C&Ds should have been sent out long before the problem got this bad. Of course just like GAC they never want to attack an issue head on until it makes the papers

Or until guests are on boards such as this and calling/emailing guest services that there are no reservations to the "big" ressies at 180+10. We've all witnessed many threads that go on about the lack of availability of reservations, so it'll be interesting to see if that problem gets better now if indeed all those places listed are under C&D. Then again, those people won't hesitate to just open something else and start over either.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They use all kinds of tactics like proxy servers. Nothing underhand is ever done from a static IP. It makes it REALLY hard to shut down.

Unless they are using a botnet they have a limited amount of IP space the proxies and nutating IP's make host identification challenging but not impossible as I've built similar systems to defend against screen scrapers none of them are perfect but they were good enough to stop the majority of screen scraping. It's the old battle between the warhead and the armor, The warhead ALWAYS wins in the end.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or until guests are on boards such as this and calling/emailing guest services that there are no reservations to the "big" ressies at 180+10. We've all witnessed many threads that go on about the lack of availability of reservations, so it'll be interesting to see if that problem gets better now if indeed all those places listed are under C&D. Then again, those people won't hesitate to just open something else and start over either.

You will see them move offshore to China/Russia where they can operate beyond the reach of Disney Legal.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Unless they are using a botnet they have a limited amount of IP space the proxies and nutating IP's make host identification challenging but not impossible as I've built similar systems to defend against screen scrapers none of them are perfect but they were good enough to stop the majority of screen scraping. It's the old battle between the warhead and the armor, The warhead ALWAYS wins in the end.
Yeah but its the same problem we have here on the forum. Do you want to go and block huge subnets just to try and filter out a scraper. You end up losing legitimate users in the process.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wait. One blog reporting on other lifestyler schemes being shut down?

If anyone ever doubted @WDW1974 on his mental illness In the Disney community statements,go read the comments on their fb wall.

Attacking Disney.

Not for running restaurants half empty
Not for the dining plan and all its downstream effects
Not for not holding back tables for walk ins
Not for requiring reservations having to be made 180 days out when reservations release

But for shutting these saints down

It's because the rezzie site allowed them to get their 'fix' at their favorite restaurants, Not because TWDC caused the problem in the first place

mousehockey37

I love how people are directing each other over to the WDW facebook page and telling them to sound off.... This is an actual post "Thank you Disney for taking away the only option I had to get my daughter a reservation at Cinderella's Castle. I absolutely will never visit your parks or cruises again."

That site wasn't the only place to go, but now they'll never be going to Disney, so it solved a dining rezzie problem as well as an occupancy issue too!!!!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah but its the same problem we have here on the forum. Do you want to go and block huge subnets just to try and filter out a scraper. You end up losing legitimate users in the process.

IP blocking is stone age and not very useful except to stop a DDoS in progress, You need analytics and connection fingerprinting as applications have a 'signature' in the order of operations and how the TCP stack is used. You can tell the difference between browsers and a script and if it's a script the specific flow is blocked. This is not perfect of course but the flow blocking allows you to deny service to some hosts while allowing others through because if the traffic is behind a NAT it's possible for legitimate traffic to also be sourced from the same IP/NAT pool.

JourneysEnd

I love how people are directing each other over to the WDW facebook page and telling them to sound off.... This is an actual post "Thank you Disney for taking away the only option I had to get my daughter a reservation at Cinderella's Castle. I absolutely will never visit your parks or cruises again."

That site wasn't the only place to go, but now they'll never be going to Disney, so it solved a dining rezzie problem as well as an occupancy issue too!!!!
I saw that. More room for the rest of us!

mousehockey37

Per the Sentinel's Daily Disney site, at least one service has shut down at the request of the mouse.

One of the other ones, the guy is actually in Disneyland and "says" he hasn't been contacted yet.

It's fun watching the comments pile up about how people are going to lobby Disney to keep these things open...

copcarguyp71

My prediction...reservations will still be very difficult to get. This will have a nil effect on guests ability to get reservations. It was an ill gotten gain for a company and it is good they got swatted by the mouse but the issue really is still the ratio of guests to dining venues. 410:1 rooms to sit-down dining venues and that is only counting onsite lodging.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

From the Orlando Sentinel:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-dining-reservations-20150924-story.html

One of the new services that has cropped up to help people find scarce dining reservations at Walt Disney World has suspended its website.

"Disney has requested that we discontinue our services as currently provided, and we have honored that request," Disney Dining Buddy announced online. "We understand this may be disappointing to those of you who have found through us a solution to the stresses of dining planning. We share your disappointment."

Disney Dining Buddy will be issuing refunds, the site says. The site's operator, Mark Downs, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Several similar services have started up in the past year to help people get reservations at tough-to-book Disney restaurants such as Be Our Guest. Most of them search online for openings and then alert customers. One, Dis Dining Agent, makes reservations and sells them outright.

The other sites appeared to be operating Thursday.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
My prediction...reservations will still be very difficult to get. This will have a nil effect on guests ability to get reservations. It was an ill gotten gain for a company and it is good they got swatted by the mouse but the issue really is still the ratio of guests to dining venues.

That is the largest problem, yes. Especially at MK. Yes, the Veranda restaurant is opening - fantastic. They could easily fill two more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom