Some quick thoughts from our trip

Just got back 8 hours ago from our trip. We absolutely HATE the Fastpass change. The reason we hate it is because the E ticket rides are spaced out so much and the return times conflict with each other. I wonder if this wouldn't be as much of a problem during non-peak times. For now our vote is that we hate it.

On that topic, if Disney is going to enforce Fastpass times, then when are they going to enforce no flash photos, no holding places in line, and no smoking in general areas? Also, I'm going to have a sticker made for our backpack for our next trip that says "Warning: bumping into this person may result in the occasional accidental elbowing of your face".

We can't figure it out, but it just seems to us that people behave better at Universal as opposed to Disney. We can't understand it because I'm sure that many of the same people visit both places. I hardly had anyone bumping into me at Uni, and it seems to be a better experience each time we visit. This saddens me because I LOVE Disney and I've got my wife talked into moving to the area mainly because of my love of the place and the fact that my company has a distribution center down there.

That being said, we've got our trip booked for September, so hopefully things get better on this next trip. Thanks for reading!

wilkeliza

Just got back 8 hours ago from our trip. We absolutely HATE the Fastpass change. The reason we hate it is because the E ticket rides are spaced out so much and the return times conflict with each other. I wonder if this wouldn't be as much of a problem during non-peak times. For now our vote is that we hate it.

On that topic, if Disney is going to enforce Fastpass times, then when are they going to enforce no flash photos, no holding places in line, and no smoking in general areas? Also, I'm going to have a sticker made for our backpack for our next trip that says "Warning: bumping into this person may result in the occasional accidental elbowing of your face".

We can't figure it out, but it just seems to us that people behave better at Universal as opposed to Disney. We can't understand it because I'm sure that many of the same people visit both places. I hardly had anyone bumping into me at Uni, and it seems to be a better experience each time we visit. This saddens me because I LOVE Disney and I've got my wife talked into moving to the area mainly because of my love of the place and the fact that my company has a distribution center down there.

That being said, we've got our trip booked for September, so hopefully things get better on this next trip. Thanks for reading!

Sorry to hear all of this from your report.

On the Universal vs Disney debate when I was in Universal we didn't have any complaints but we were on a less crowded day. One thing I did keep in mind was the price for a 2 day 2 park ticket at Universal was the same as a 1 day 1 park Disney trip. Unfortunately I think there are a lot of families that will say "I spent x amount of money on this trip and I'm going to do everything even if I have to run over people to do it" also at Disney many people believe that their children don't need to be watched because they are in Disney so you'll get a lot of children running around just shoving into people. Thank the new way of parenting for all of this. Instead of teaching children respect and patience we are teaching them that you have to push and shove your way up in this world.

On the fastpass debate although following the rules can be hard now many people, including myself, are going to tell you if the fast pass window at a ride over laps just don't get that 2nd fast pass. Part of the reason for enforcing the rules is to make sure each guest only has 1 fast pass during each time slot. So now instead of being able to get Noon- 1pm fast passes for all the e-ticket rides in Epcot you have to plan out and make sure you return windows are far enough apart to use during their time slow. So you will either have to hang around Soarin while the times tick up or go enjoy something else and come back later.

zooey

All that stuff if subjective. I didn't have a good experience at Uni the last time I went,but I had a great time at Disney. Also, WDW has more people in general in the parks and on property, so the more people you come in contact with the probability that you run into someone inconsiderate or rude goes up.

On tickets prices: Uni and Disney both have the same one day admission price. When you get multiple days you do start to see lower prices over at Uni, but I think families will still struggle to base an entire vacation around their parks, making WDW a better value overall. When I went Uni was constantly advertising "Buy a 2 Day Ticket!" so it's obvious they know that most people are going for just one day to see Potter. When they finally expand the Potter stuff I'm sure they'll get more people to buy that multiple day ticket, but that is currently discounted only because they have a hard time selling it. If the rumors are true about the WWoHP expansion going to the Studios park, then I guarantee that 2 day ticket prices go up over a year or two to be right there with Disney prices. That would be the point to having HP in both parks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Could it have been because of the backpack?

I've been standing in line, minding my own business, when someone next to me wearying a backpack suddenly turned around and about knocked me over.

He looked at me like it was MY fault.

Some people forget that the back pack takes up a lot more of someone else's potential personal space in crowded situations.

Maybe because my family never used the Fast Passes after the time listed, it doesn't seem that hard to do. We usually look at the time given before grabbing a Fast Pass. If it doesn't work with our touring plan we either skip taking the pass, or change our touring plan around.

I don't understand how, by taking all those Fast Passes, you avoided walking all over the parks. Wouldn't it cause even more walking, as you run from one area of the park to another, first getting the passes and the back again to ride the rides?:shrug:

SyracuseOrange

The World would be a better place if this happened. Sadly, they don't have the manpower to enforce all the rules, and it would upset some guests (even though they are also upsetting guests by NOT enforcing the rules...)

the-reason14

I agree with you OP. I hate the new policy change and think it's ridiculous. It's now damn near impossible to park hop if you plan on using any fastpasses at the original park you were at. I was able to use a Toy Story fastpass after getting one about 15 mintues after park opening and going to AK and back to use it, but with rides that aren't as popular and the return time is so near, it's pretty much impossible.

I hope a lot of people go to guest relations over this, I planned to after being turned away at Space mt. Didn't get a chance this trip, but if I go back any this year then I definitely will. Add that to the fact that they are supposedly increasing the amount of fastpasses in a given window making the lines ridiculously long. This not only inconvenience the folks with fastpass, but the people in the standby line as well. Get it together WDW.

lazyboy97o

Disney is quite happy you are annoyed with the FastPass change. You're not supposed to use it to hit the big attractions across the park. They want you staying in the area hoping you will make food and/or merchandise purchases.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The World would be a better place if this happened. Sadly, they don't have the manpower to enforce all the rules, and it would upset some guests (even though they are also upsetting guests by NOT enforcing the rules...)

I think that flash photography is the MOST bothersome of all. I think they should confiscate every camera that has a flash at the gate.

It should be on the not allowed list :

No weapons
No drugs
No skates/skateboards
No flash cameras​

wilkeliza

I agree with you OP. I hate the new policy change and think it's ridiculous. It's now damn near impossible to park hop if you plan on using any fastpasses at the original park you were at. I was able to use a Toy Story fastpass after getting one about 15 mintues after park opening and going to AK and back to use it, but with rides that aren't as popular and the return time is so near, it's pretty much impossible.

I hope a lot of people go to guest relations over this, I planned to after being turned away at Space mt. Didn't get a chance this trip, but if I go back any this year then I definitely will. Add that to the fact that they are supposedly increasing the amount of fastpasses in a given window making the lines ridiculously long. This not only inconvenience the folks with fastpass, but the people in the standby line as well. Get it together WDW.

So you are going to complain because you have to follow the rules? The times are listed on the fast pass clock before you get the pass. Also if you want to park hop from Animal Kingdom to DHS and use your Toy Story fast pass just hang out by the machine it takes about an hour for the fast passes to get down into the afternoon hours. You could easily then go to Animal Kingdom and come back later and use your fastpass.

I have a feeling if people get turned away and go complain customer service will simply tell them they were warned that they must come back during the return window and that they were give a 15 minute extra amount of time at the end in case of any circumstance that might have made you late.

I don't expect them nor do I think they should bend over backwards to cater to people that think the rules should be bent for them. If you can't make it back in your fastpass window use the standby line.

Tom

Beta Return
We'll be in the parks Wednesday, Thursday, and the following Monday and Tuesday. We will get some Fastpasses and see how it works for us.

For the most part, we've tried hard to return during the time frame listed. We've only used late FPs for Tower, and that was because it rained and we decided to leave the park, then returned later that night.

Since we use touring plans, and we've been to WDW enough to plan a logical tour anyway, we rarely need 2 FPs at once....and we're still able to see and do everything. Granted, we never go during peak times (this week is an exception only because we'll be down there for business).

I don't mean this is a nasty way, but I think people were spoiled by the old way of handling things. It is bound to be a big adjustment for people who were used to coming back and riding the big rides pretty much whenever they wanted to. For the rest of us who always used the Fast Passes in the time given, it is no big deal at all.

Tori

I think that flash photography is the MOST bothersome of all. I think they should confiscate every camera that has a flash at the gate.

It should be on the not allowed list :

No weapons
No drugs
No skates/skateboards
No flash cameras

All cameras have a flash. Did you mean to say cameras in general?

Tom

Beta Return
All cameras have a flash. Did you mean to say cameras in general?

Maybe they could hand out black electrical tape and force everyone to put it over their flash while in the park.

Or they could station CMs around attractions with blow guns, and shoot darts at offenders.

The Empress Lilly

Sorry for the less than stellar experiences!

Some assorted comments:
- I hate hate hate fastpass windows. This sooo forces me to adjust my park strategy.
- Personally, I find guests behave worse at Universal, but annoying behaviour in Disney is more annoying because...well because it is in Disney.
- If you position yourself at the lower end of the market, then these wil be a large part of your customers. While Disney is not arthouse, not haute cuise, it shouldn't be a cheap generic dumbed down product either. Alas, Disney has decided on being Walmart, and targets the audience. (It's Disney! I get to act as goofy as I want to! Finally I can sing and clap my hands and shout and run and flash photography as much as I please!)
- In slight contrast to the previous point: I try not to get too worked up about others at Disney. One, it is a busy, crowded place. By default, you will have to share the place with 45 million others. Two, I'm not the park police. Three, I don't want to sabotage my own vacation, better to relax and let it all go.

draybook

Original Poster
Well, the backpack I used was a small one given to all of the cheerleaders, so it didn't take up that much space. Although I did notice that most of the people that bumped into me seemed to be foreigners. I'm not sure if they're just used to being cramped or what, but I don't like being bumped. I make that known to anyone that bumps into me. I say "I'm sorry, is there something I can do to make my bag more visible to you so you don't have to keep bumping into it?"

We're adapting to the new FP rules, but it still svcks big time. For instance, on Friday we had a set for Space between 540-640, set for Splash between 640-740 and another for Buzz from 825-925. I think they're going to have to expand the window for peak seasons, because it's insane going from one side of the park to another during peak crowds, since everyone wants to walk like a Romero zombie(ie slow as Christmas). We'll adapt to any rules, but we still hate it.

I forgot something else that annoys me, but it's not Disney's fault. The ride back to the TTC on the monorail. They should place signs up that say WOMAN AND CHILDREN SIT, MEN STAND. We got into a compartment and this dude just sat there with his family while two women an this little boy had to stand and get swung around since it was so cramped. He was an American, as I heard him talking to his family. Men like him should be punched in the neck as soon as they step out of the monorail. I made sure to say to him as I passed by that real men let women and children have a seat.

I will say that my son and I had a real blast doing some pin trading.

Disneyfanman

I can't remember the last time that we didn't return during the Fast Pass window, so I can't agree with your feelings on this one. If we miss it, we just move along. I always felt like we were supposed to follow the rules, and I love Fast Pass, so we did. I bet that responses to this one will be completely determined by whether or not people came to depend on going late. My perspective is that it's a non-event. Sorry it was so frustrating.

I do have an issue with the flash photos on dark rides, but it has never ruined the experience for me. I guess when I go to Disney I am so ready to roll with the punches and let go of the outside world that I don't worry about it very much. The only stuff that REALLY bugs me is very poorly maintained show (like the recently non-working splash AAs) or rude CMs. So I guess to each his own.

Tom

Beta Return
I forgot something else that annoys me, but it's not Disney's fault. The ride back to the TTC on the monorail. They should place signs up that say WOMAN AND CHILDREN SIT, MEN STAND. We got into a compartment and this dude just sat there with his family while two women an this little boy had to stand and get swung around since it was so cramped. He was an American, as I heard him talking to his family. Men like him should be punched in the neck as soon as they step out of the monorail. I made sure to say to him as I passed by that real men let women and children have a seat.

This really should go to another thread that would inevitably be closed, but you can't make this blanket comment. Health and personal well being CAN come before being a gentleman on occasion. There have been times when my leg or back have hurt so bad that I chose not to give up a seat on a monorail or bus for someone (of any race, age, gender, national origin, etc) who appeared to be in fine shape, free of pain, and capable of standing for that journey.

Sure, if it's the middle of the day and we're just tooling around, I'll let my wife sit and then any other female or child could take my spot.

There are exceptions to every "rule"....well, except the new Fastpass rule ;)

backinaction

With the old system, if someone in your party was willing to do alittle bit more walking around the park then everyone else, your party could basically get to do everything in the park with little to no wait. I think that's why everyone is getting all upset about it. I think this decision def. hurts the hardcore Disney fan alot more then the everyday tourist.
One of my biggest pet peeves is flash photography. Last time I went down, SSE and Living with the Land were basically ruined for me because of some guy taking a pic every two seconds with a flash. Is it to much for Disney to stop the ride and make a quick announcement saying no flash photography please? I mean when i was riding these two attractions, the flash didn't stop the whole time, and I think Disney has to be more proactive with that.
In terms of the monorail, I always felt that it was first come, first seat. If someone has been waiting for 15 minutes for the monorail, I dont think it's fair that they have to give up their seat to someone who just showed up. But thats just an opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom