Some people! (aka "overheard at work yesterday")

MissM

Original Poster
My company has these monthly webcasts and each one has a "word" that if you submit later on, you can get entered to win a prize. Each month the prize is different. Last month was a $200 gift card for WDW. Sadly, I didn't win it.

So yesterday was the new webcast. And I'm riding up in the elevator with two other people who are talking. The woman asks the guy what the prize is this month. The guys says, "I dunno, but it's got to be better then the crappy Disney gift card last month."

I was so mad! But it got worse.

The woman says, "Oh I know! I hate Disney. I got burnt out on it in like the 80's!"

:mad: :mad::mad:

I bit my tongue and didn't say anything but all I could think of was if the last time you went was the 80's, how do you have any idea what's even there anymore? Then again, the woman's hair was an awful, bleach-blond dye job straight out of 1983 so clearly she doesn't hate everything from that time period!

New2WDW

My company has these monthly webcasts and each one has a "word" that if you submit later on, you can get entered to win a prize. Each month the prize is different. Last month was a $200 gift card for WDW. Sadly, I didn't win it.

So yesterday was the new webcast. And I'm riding up in the elevator with two other people who are talking. The woman asks the guy what the prize is this month. The guys says, "I dunno, but it's got to be better then the crappy Disney gift card last month."

The woman says, "Oh I know! I hate Disney. I got burnt out on it in like the 80's!"

I bit my tongue and didn't say anything but all I could think of was if the last time you went was the 80's, how do you have any idea what's even there anymore? Then again, the woman's hair was an awful, bleach-blond dye job straight out of 1983 so clearly she doesn't hate everything from that time period!

And they are probably the kinda people who love the elevator music! :lol:

Slipknot

Well, at least you can rest easier knowing you won't have to deal with them outside of work at WDW, now. :)

Tidbit

People ask me all the time...."how can you go to Disney EVERY year?" I ask them "have you been?"....they mostly say NO, so I return the question...."how can you NOT go to Disney EVERY year?"

But like someone already said.....more room in line for ME!

Lisalyn

Pretty much just thank them for not wanting that "crappy gift card from Disney"...tell them that IS the prize this month (lol) and hope they don't enter - then when you win, you can swap your prize for the gift card with whoever won it LOL :ROFLOL:

Phonedave

In all honesty, from a HR standpoint, a $200 card to WDW is a poor choice of a prize.

If it was a $200 card to DISNEY thats a different story.

All mis-information about things not having changed aside, to give a prize that requires travel to use, possibly an overnight stay, and additional expense on the part of the 'winner' is a poor choice. Not everyone likes WDW.

I have $150 in gift cards to an upscale restaurant in front of me that I won. However it's in Greenwich Connecticut. If I am ever in that area I may use them, but to take an entire day and drive 200+ miles round trip just to use the prize is not something I want to do.

-dave

French Quarter

Dave, the OP is from Tampa. It would only take like an hour for the winner to get to WDW to use their gift certificate. And if they didn't want to, there would likely be lots of people in the area that they could give it to. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that such a prize would be appreciated by many.

Phonedave

Dave, the OP is from Tampa. It would only take like an hour for the winner to get to WDW to use their gift certificate. And if they didn't want to, there would likely be lots of people in the area that they could give it to. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that such a prize would be appreciated by many.

But not if they are not a Disney fan.

Despite how much we may all love WDW, not everyone does.

Think of something that you have no particular interest in. OK, lets say golf (lets assume you don't like golf). You win 2 greens fees to a very expensive and nice golf club an hours drive from your house.

Knowing you don't play golf, and there is an hours drive each way, and that you will have other out of pocket expenses (tipping caddies, food, etc), is that a gift you would really want? There are plenty of people that would LOVE to have such a prize, but there is also a very real and significant group of people for whom such a prize is useless.

I only say this because I used to manage the recognition program for a Director group (way back in the day) and I quickly found out that prizes that I though were cool, or appropriate, or would be loved by all were very often not. And some of the prizes that I though were run-of-the-mill became things people would fight over to win. Who the heck knew the stainless steel coffee mugs were so popular, and a pass for a free movie for two with popcorn and drinks were not. At the time I had no kids, but a lot of the people in my group had young kids. When we gave out the movie passes, we got quite a few comments about "yeah, now I have to find a baby sitter and pay for her". Come on, it's a free movie, who would not love that I thought. Well I was wrong.

-dave

French Quarter

But not if they are not a Disney fan.

Despite how much we may all love WDW, not everyone does.

Think of something that you have no particular interest in. OK, lets say golf (lets assume you don't like golf). You win 2 greens fees to a very expensive and nice golf club an hours drive from your house.

Knowing you don't play golf, and there is an hours drive each way, and that you will have other out of pocket expenses (tipping caddies, food, etc), is that a gift you would really want? There are plenty of people that would LOVE to have such a prize, but there is also a very real and significant group of people for whom such a prize is useless.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think that if people don't like Disney that there's something wrong with them. I can actually understand why that wouldn't be their thing. I'm just saying that living fairly close to WDW means that they could find someone to either give or sell that gift certificate to rather easily. So, it's very different than me winning such a prize up here in Canada. So, it's not useless and certainly not a weird option to be chosen as a prize. Maybe less desirable to some but it's still a valid prize. Besides, why would you bother entering a contest if you didn't want to win the prize?

Some People

I think they are only surpassed by the people who have nver been adn declare "Ugh, I can't stand Disney" and then they try to explain to you why you shouldn't like it. I tend to believe that "those people" have lost their inner child. I am proud to say my inner child is alive and well and screaming her head off b'cz she's going to DISNEY!:sohappy:

Phonedave

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think that if people don't like Disney that there's something wrong with them. I can actually understand why that wouldn't be their thing. I'm just saying that living fairly close to WDW means that they could find someone to either give or sell that gift certificate to rather easily. So, it's very different than me winning such a prize up here in Canada. So, it's not useless and certainly not a weird option to be chosen as a prize. Maybe less desirable to some but it's still a valid prize. Besides, why would you bother entering a contest if you didn't want to win the prize?

I took it to be a work prize. Basically something everyone who works there has a chance at winning. Those can be difficult to do. I have seen people get mad over prizes. The easiest thing to do is just give out cash - tax included. (I have seen people complain over having to pay tax on a cash prize they won)

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom