some one tell me about an underground resort..

bjlc57

my wife was reading a book about WDW last night and there was something about an underground resort.. dealing with the 7 Dwarf's.. I have never heard one thing about it.. ever.

tell us about it please..

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I buy the Unofficial guide for information.. I trust the information in the book.. its a travel book, and not a humor book. I don't find it funny, to get mis information.. then how can I trust the info given for park passes, or part tourning plans.. How do I know that "this is a joke" and this is not a joke..

if I wanted a humor book on travel I would go to the humor section of Barnes and Noble..

but there is nothing that states, parts of this book are untrue..

sorry, but I don't find it funny.. I find it distrubing.

this guy has saved us many a trip and many an hour.. I count on his determination of resorts, or rides or movies, or food.. or food service.. and its been a boon for me..

this is not close to being funny.. sorry.. but unless its labeled as this is a joke, it has no place in a travel book, in a travel area.. and not with this guys reputation.. its damages his "word"..

Again:

"Per the guide,
"STRENGTHS of resort:
No women allowed
No children allowed
Men not required to lower toilet seat
Crying not seen as sign of weakness

WEAKNESSES of resort:
No women allowed
No one to pick out your clothes
Some men refuse to leave
Some men transferred to Weight Watchers or Betty Ford
"

Not really sure which of those eight strengths and weaknesses would ever remotely be considered applicable at a Disney resort. And I'm sure there were other "tongue-in-cheek" references as well.

Disturbing? What on earth is disturbing about this? It was a joke. And I'm not really sure you have any sense of the author's intent, so declaring this damages his "brand" isn't quite up to snuff either.

Did it ever occur to you that these entries were made because reading about Disney, or any other similar guidebook, can get a little tedious, even to the most devout of fans? So he chose to lighten things up a little, break the monotony. I'm fairly certain such inclusions aren't going to drastically impact anyone's travel plans. Just as I'm sure your not wanting to buy his companion guide next year will be damaging to his "brand."

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I buy the Unofficial guide for information.. I trust the information in the book.. its a travel book, and not a humor book. I don't find it funny, to get mis information.. then how can I trust the info given for park passes, or part tourning plans.. How do I know that "this is a joke" and this is not a joke..

if I wanted a humor book on travel I would go to the humor section of Barnes and Noble..

but there is nothing that states, parts of this book are untrue..

sorry, but I don't find it funny.. I find it distrubing.

this guy has saved us many a trip and many an hour.. I count on his determination of resorts, or rides or movies, or food.. or food service.. and its been a boon for me..

this is not close to being funny.. sorry.. but unless its labeled as this is a joke, it has no place in a travel book, in a travel area.. and not with this guys reputation.. its damages his "word"..

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

Upvote 0

coachz

when you read a book, one of which you put so much stock into, you take things for granted.. I think that this is a total misjudgement on Selegher's part.. I take his words and his book seriously so that you can navigate DISNEY and see everything..

I assume that some of the food that he mentions are false as well.

and I think that this is a slap in the face for people who have been buying his book religiously since it first came out. VERY UNFAIR to us readers..

if you said up front, there are numerous spoofs in this book, well then great..

he attempt at humor leaves me wanting..

GEEZ, lighten up....want to buy the rights to the oil under my back yard? say "CHEESE"

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

Really? People thought this was real? I guess this points to how rabid we Disney fans are, suspending our normal beliefs for a belief that anything is possible with imagination. Not necessarily a bad quality.

Upvote 0
I just think he should've stuck with the facts or made it very clear that it was a joke. Maybe he could've had a "For Kicks and Giggles" section. Then I wouldn't have minded but I saw it as being a confusion for some and didn't like that part. For a split second I myself got excited about an Underground Resort. I love the idea but knowing Disney as well as I do I knew it wasn't real but some newbies might not realize that. I just didn't think it was necessary. It's a fact book not a humor book. I just felt it could've been done differently if he wanted to add some humor.

Upvote 0

DisneyBergh

Let me start by saying the I have never vacationed at WDW. DW and I were looking for books about WDW and purchased both the Unofficial Guide and the Color Companion to help plan our upcoming trip.

It is obvious that there are things in the companion that are meant to be funny. And they are. I laughed out loud at the thought of the all male resort! I just don't get how even a novice could believe those things.

What I really find funny though is that I thought those turkey legs were a joke too!

Upvote 0

sbkline

Let me start by saying the I have never vacationed at WDW. DW and I were looking for books about WDW and purchased both the Unofficial Guide and the Color Companion to help plan our upcoming trip.

It is obvious that there are things in the companion that are meant to be funny. And they are. I laughed out loud at the thought of the all male resort! I just don't get how even a novice could believe those things.

What I really find funny though is that I thought those turkey legs were a joke too!

That's part of my point. Once you realize that the authors are just making stuff up just to be silly, then when you come across something else that looks a little far fetched, you don't know if it is on the level or if they're just making another feeble attempt at humor. Maybe I find it hard to believe that there is a talking trash can that scoots around and plays games with people. Or maybe I find it hard to believe that there is a talking dinosaur that roams around Animal Kingdom. Or, as you just said, the Turkey Legs. So now that we've established that certain things in the book are falsities, then any other time you come across something that seems too high tech, even for Disney, you'll question that, too. It kind of hurts the credibility of the book, in my opinion.

I can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, I would rather read through a book knowing that everything I read is true, rather than reading something and having to wonder if it's real, or just the author's latest attempt to try out his skills as a comedian.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's part of my point. Once you realize that the authors are just making stuff up just to be silly, then when you come across something else that looks a little far fetched, you don't know if it is on the level or if they're just making another feeble attempt at humor. Maybe I find it hard to believe that there is a talking trash can that scoots around and plays games with people. Or maybe I find it hard to believe that there is a talking dinosaur that roams around Animal Kingdom. Or, as you just said, the Turkey Legs. So now that we've established that certain things in the book are falsities, then any other time you come across something that seems too high tech, even for Disney, you'll question that, too. It kind of hurts the credibility of the book, in my opinion.

I can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, I would rather read through a book knowing that everything I read is true, rather than reading something and having to wonder if it's real, or just the author's latest attempt to try out his skills as a comedian.
This essentially looks like the Disney version of Poe's Law. Like you said, there are so many far out things that actually exist at WDW once you are in that mind set it is easy to jump from a crazy thing that does exist to one that does not.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom