Some Disney Stores Closing?

Cheryl

Original Poster
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
This just in...went to the movies (Spirit of course) with our three year old son on Friday. The movie is great by the way so go see if...you'll cry and laugh! :animwink:
Ok, here's my concern. After the movies, we always go downstairs to visit the Disney store. Well, the Disney store wasn't there...all barred up and nothing inside. I asked the manager of the mall who stated that Disney had just closed up about two weeks ago and really did so without warning. In addition, the manager said that he understood that about 125-130 Disney stores were closing nationwide. I immediately rushed over to the Disney store at another local mall and found they were still open (OMG, so relieved!) and I was voicing my concern about the other store closing to one of the CMs. The CM said that she had not heard of anything like that but that the lease had expired at the other store and kind of gave me a wink. ;)
Anyone else had something like this happen to them? I'd hate for the Disney stores to close! They're my only vice when I go to the mall....please don't take them away!! C'mon, you step inside a Disney store and you can almost taste the magic! Please let me know if you've heard or run into the same situation! Thanks!
24 days to Disney
Staying at OKW (3rd time)
DVC Member
"Dream a little dream with me."

Cheryl

hawaiianmickey

Yep! The two stores here in Colorado Springs has closed. We asked customer service at both malls and they said the same thing...they were running out of business. It's sad really because that's the only place near here that I buy my Disney stuff. Who knows where I can go now. :cry: :cry: :mad:

epcot71

heres the scoop-disney has plans to reduce thier north american operation to about 450-500 stores.the 112 intl disney stores will stay open(they are doing very well)-disney store will now have 2 concept stores-disney play and disney kids at home-there will no longer be a regular disney store anymore-each concept store will cater to a specific demographic instead of trying to have a mix bag of products like before.one of the major reasons is that due to licensing deals with big stores like wal-mart,k-mart,and target consumers were able to get alot of the same things at these other stores at a cheaper price so now they will have mostly store specific merchandise geared for each concept-so cosumers cant say "hey i can get that at walmart for 10 bucks cheaper"
the disney stores in europe will stay disney stores because shoppers dont have the many other choices like walmart to buy disney merchandise.i like having a freind in consumer products-:D :D :D :D

Cheryl

Original Poster
Bummer

Well, personally, I HATE the idea of the stores closing (well, not all, but I know that if my Disney Store didn't have something that I wanted, I could always go to the other close one). But I'm a little skeptic as to what is going on....before Christmas, the CM at the Disney store were telling us that we would have to travel to another store after the new year to go to the Disney Kids store and that they were being made into a Disney Home store. Well, shortly after Valentine's Day, I went into the store and the CM said that the stores were just going to stay the same as they are. I guess I can understand the whole point of "well, I can get that cheaper at WalMart" thing but I'm not sure I'm going to like the idea of the Disney Stores changing. I wish mine could just stay the way they've been for the past umpteen years! :brick:
I'm going to Disney, Disney Disney Disney!
24 days!

Cheryl

epcot71

i agree-i love the disney store too.i honestly feel this will only stay this way for a while-most retail organizations change thier focus every5 years or so-perfect example-----the gap used to be khakis and jeans and denim shirts-then they went to "hey lets bring it all in with new funky styles" and tried to clothe to many peoples tastes-well they lost market share and hit rock bottom-now they are going back to the basics(their core product) denim,khakis,jeans-i think disney will go back to old disney store in time

Badger Brent

Just my two cents here. I worked at a Disney store in Wis. and they closed with less then a 30 day notice. The store would'nt have renewed their lease, another chain store came in and bought out our lease. This was a very popular and profitable store. We still have one more in town, but sometimes the more we wish our little world to stay the same, the more it turns. It was a very sad day for all CM"s that worked there. The other store in town is at capacity for employee's, so I think maybe two CM's transferred. The point is this, NOBODY saw this one coming. I tried letting my fellow CM's know this could be a possibility from seeing this same thing happen in other areas of the country. :brick:

Jimmy

I feel like we have had only Disney Kids Stores for a while anyway. For the past two or three years, my wife and I have not been able to find many adult clothes in Baton Rouge. I know not many 35 year old wear exclusively disney shirts to work, but they could have at least had two or three styles rotate every couple of months. The Disney Home Store actually sounds good to me (and we have a 2 yr. old). I am trying to find a Mickey mailbox? Any suggestions?

epcot71

Originally posted by Jimmy
I feel like we have had only Disney Kids Stores for a while anyway. For the past two or three years, my wife and I have not been able to find many adult clothes in Baton Rouge. I know not many 35 year old wear exclusively disney shirts to work, but they could have at least had two or three styles rotate every couple of months. The Disney Home Store actually sounds good to me (and we have a 2 yr. old). I am trying to find a Mickey mailbox? Any suggestions?

i loved my mickey ties and disney store used to have a nice selection of business atire too-as far as the mail box what u can do is buy a plain white one and the new disney kids at home should have the disney paints and character stensils-u can make one real easy

MKCustodial

Originally posted by epcot71
heres the scoop-disney has plans to reduce thier north american operation to about 450-500 stores.the 112 intl disney stores will stay open(they are doing very well)-disney store will now have 2 concept stores-disney play and disney kids at home-there will no longer be a regular disney store anymore-each concept store will cater to a specific demographic instead of trying to have a mix bag of products like before.one of the major reasons is that due to licensing deals with big stores like wal-mart,k-mart,and target consumers were able to get alot of the same things at these other stores at a cheaper price so now they will have mostly store specific merchandise geared for each concept-so cosumers cant say "hey i can get that at walmart for 10 bucks cheaper"
the disney stores in europe will stay disney stores because shoppers dont have the many other choices like walmart to buy disney merchandise.i like having a freind in consumer products-:D :D :D :D

Do you know if I can check somewhere for where these stores are? Some months ago I heard Disney was opening one here in Brazil, but I haven't heard anything since, and I'd love to have somewhere to write to, asking for a Rio de Janeiro Disney Store! :D

strutter

We had our local Disney Store close here a while ago too. It seemed like it happened over night. Now the closest one for me to go to is more than 2 hours away. What a bummer!

bgraham34

As an ex-castmember of the Disney Stores I am sad to hear that news. I did hear this last year but actually forgot about it.

I still run into the stores ofton just to get that magic Disney feel. Hopefully the ones here in Jersey will remain open.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
none of our TDS here in Orlando have changed in any way. Is this supposed to be a gradual change, or...?

walthimself05

is there a site or sumthin we can go to that tells which stores are closing, cuz i swear the one and only here in Louisville closes

oooooooo boy:fork:

Uk cast member

I am a Disney store cast member in the UK.
the reason the US stores are changing a bit and not doing that well is mainly because of operational reasons, the UK stores are very very much sales based, as are US but even more so, they have to be to stay in business.

Stores US became to big, the market was saturated and cast spent too much time being super nice and not concentrating on sales. Dont get me wrong super nice is good but with out the money the magic goes away.

any way thats what i heard from my boss who went on a training thing in the US.

(o well a least i get to keep my job!)
:animwink:

Monorail_Green

Originally posted by atownsend
The Disney Store in Hyannis, MA. is closed.:mad:

Yeah, several in MA have closed. The one out in Quincy Market in Boston also closed. That was one with two floors and right in the middle of the city, too.

i dont' know if people have these near them, but there were some Warner Bros Studio Stores too around me (trust me, I dont go in there!) and they have suddenly began closing too. Maybe it's something widespread across companies....

epcot71

Originally posted by MKCustodial

Do you know if I can check somewhere for where these stores are? Some months ago I heard Disney was opening one here in Brazil, but I haven't heard anything since, and I'd love to have somewhere to write to, asking for a Rio de Janeiro Disney Store! :D
my source who for a while was a global business developement manager for disney store-said that disney store was looking real heavily into entering the south american market-disney consumer products does very well in latin america-some areas looked at were rio and other brazilian cities-also argentina was looked at too-before disneys stores went kinda crazy they actually spent about a year for every location making sure it was worth it to go to an area-they wanted good economic conditions with a large upper and middle class population

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom