Sold out resorts

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I am curious, if a resort is currently showing as sold out for a particular week, does that mean that every room in the place is actually booked, or is WDW only booking a limited number of rooms based upon current capacity restrictions? I guess what I’m really wondering is, if a resort is presently sold out but then capacity restrictions are raised, will that resort then offer more rooms for booking?

Hope my question makes sense, and thanks in advance for any insight!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Could it be that you're looking at still closed resorts for availability?

For the resorts that are open some only have the DVC portion open.
Also Poly and Contemporary are having refurbs right now.
And Club Level rooms are not available.

When you look at those factors it takes out a lot of rooms.

But there certainly are things available depending on your dates.
I'm going late August am seeing a number of room options available.
I'm staying at Poly and currently it says there are no rooms available. Some of that is due to Club Level rooms but I wonder if they are also holding back rooms in case the refurb is not complete and will release more once they know for sure as to not oversell what they don't have.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I am curious, if a resort is currently showing as sold out for a particular week, does that mean that every room in the place is actually booked, or is WDW only booking a limited number of rooms based upon current capacity restrictions? I guess what I’m really wondering is, if a resort is presently sold out but then capacity restrictions are raised, will that resort then offer more rooms for booking?

I believe they hold a small amount back to account for any rooms that need to be taken offline for maintenance, but I don't think you can book into that cushion.

There is nothing that Disney is "holding back" because of COVID though, which I think is your main question. Resort capacity and park capacity aren't really linked in any concrete way.

But play with your dates. If you're looking for 7 nights, you might not get availability if just one of those 7 nights is fully booked.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Thank both of you above for your responses. I was specifically wondering about the Beach Club resort for late June. It is sold out for our week and I was just curious if any more rooms were being held back because of capacity restrictions, but CA has answered that question for me now. We have a reservation at the villas but we’re thinking about maybe switching over to the main resort. Guess that’s off the table. Anyway, thanks again!

JIMINYCR

It makes no sense for Disney to open more resorts or make more rooms available in those that are open now when they still have the limitations of guests in parks in place. The park days calendars are showing park availability going fast in most of the parks in advance. Disney Springs even is being reported on as having uncomfortably large numbers of wandering people. Booking rooms and not allowing guests access to the parks... not making for a good image. In a few more months maybe when more % of vaccs are delivered and possibly show good results, Disney will chance upping the numbers. They arent going to move as quickly as we might hope for.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
It makes no sense for Disney to open more resorts or make more rooms available in those that are open now when they still have the limitations of guests in parks in place. The park days calendars are showing park availability going fast in most of the parks in advance. Disney Springs even is being reported on as having uncomfortably large numbers of wandering people. Booking rooms and not allowing guests access to the parks... not making for a good image. In a few more months maybe when more % of vaccs are delivered and possibly show good results, Disney will chance upping the numbers. They arent going to move as quickly as we might hope for.
This is exactly what I was wondering about. I just assumed (wrongly, I now know) that since there were capacity limitations in the parks, there would be similar capacity restrictions in the resorts. How in the heck can they fill every room in just about every resort, yet at the same time limit park attendance to only 35% or so?

I‘m not complaining because we are fortunate enough to have Beach Club villas reserved as well as park reservations for every day of our trip, but unless there’s something I am missing it sure seems like there might be a lot of other resort guests who won’t be able to get into the parks.

JIMINYCR

This is exactly what I was wondering about. I just assumed (wrongly, I now know) that since there were capacity limitations in the parks, there would be similar capacity restrictions in the resorts. How in the heck can they fill every room in just about every resort, yet at the same time limit park attendance to only 35% or so?

I‘m not complaining because we are fortunate enough to have Beach Club villas reserved as well as park reservations for every day of our trip, but unless there’s something I am missing it sure seems like there might be a lot of other resort guests who won’t be able to get into the parks.
Someone did discuss on another WDWMAGIC spot about booking a room and not realizing park days had to be booked as well. So there are guests who are finding themselves on a trip and not getting into a park.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Someone did discuss on another WDWMAGIC spot about booking a room and not realizing park days had to be booked as well. So there are guests who are finding themselves on a trip and not getting into a park.
Man, that sucks. I feel bad for anyone who finds themself in that position.

LovePop

I once booked at BCV because BC itself didn't have a room left, but a few days later I checked and a room opened up (maybe somebody cancelled), and I was able to to snatch that last room! That was before covid, however, back when more hotels were open for people to switch around.

As to your question "How in the heck can they fill every room in just about every resort, yet at the same time limit park attendance to only 35% or so?" Some people only do resort stays, at least for some of the days. I often go for resort days because the hotels are awesome. I think Disney should open up more hotels now that every hotel is stuffed full, but I'm sure they know more about this matter than I do. Maybe they can't find enough help, or something.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I I think Disney should open up more hotels now that every hotel is stuffed full, but I'm sure they know more about this matter than I do. Maybe they can't find enough help, or something.
They are opening more of the resorts over the next couple of months.

Hopefully they’ll increase the capacity at the parks too because May and June once again are “sold out” of park reservations for resort guests. I assume that is partly due to the bookings for the resorts that are due to open as well as more rooms filling up in the ones that are already open.

ryguy

So for resorts that have club level rooms, is Disney booking those rooms categories even though club level is not offered? Or are they not is the system to book.

MickeyLuv'r

I kinda wonder the same, except multiple WDW hotels are currently closed. Club Level rooms are definitely offline for now, so at least a few rooms are offline at the deluxe hotels.

As others have said, play around with the dates, and keep looking. Sometimes rooms open up. Often if I tweak my dates by a day or two, something is available. June 2021 is likely one of the tougher times to get a room though. Many people had previously booked trips, and postponed them until this summer. Many folks would not book until they were vaccinated, so that would = about this month, and folks often book 3-6 months out. Sixty days before 6/15 = 4/16.

fbp

I'm seeing this too. Looking at rooms at the end of September and only finding availability at two WDW resorts for my days. I guess I waited too long.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm seeing this too. Looking at rooms at the end of September and only finding availability at two WDW resorts for my days. I guess I waited too long.
Make sure you’ve not got the special deals filter on. Often the site will default to that when you do a search, depending how you start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom