Soaring Addition??

PhilharMagician

How much space do they have to work with back there anyways?

I don't know if there is enough space to put another build of similar proportions to the current Soaring building. It would probably be just about touching the backside of the Canada pavillion. That would also reduce the backstage access to the Imagination pavillion

DisneySaint

There is absolutely NO truth to this rumor, trust me. A 3rd concourse will never be built, I can assure you.
The refurbishment going on in the queue has nothing to do with an additional concourse - it's just an improvement on the current queue.

The primary reason for not constructing a new theater is simply that there isn't the need. Eventually the ride will meet the same fate as DCA's did. The ride over there is a walk-on sometimes and rarely peaks at the extraordinary waits Epcot's does. As people experience it the demand will slowly wane. It's only been there for 2 years ... give it time and it will be about on the level other classics such as the Mountains are.

Shaman

I don't know if there is enough space to put another build of similar proportions to the current Soaring building. It would probably be just about touching the backside of the Canada pavillion. That would also reduce the backstage access to the Imagination pavillion

They could always build a smaller theater, for use during peak queue capacity.

What exactly are they doing to the queue? I didn't know they were working on it....

Maybe they could add a pre-pre-show...or something...to move the line.

PhilharMagician

After taking a quick peek on Google Earth I stand corrected. It should not interfere with the Canada pavillion at all, but would be darn close to Imagination. It does look like it could be fit in there. Just don't expect it.

the-reason14

I remember thinking about this like a week ago. In seems like it would make sense, just make the third theater go straight while the current ones will continue to go left and right. I know they probably wont do this, but the thought of having multiple places to soar over seems like a very good idea in the near future, when the popularity of soarin falls a little bit.

stussy96

Agreed with the previous poster, there will NOT be an addition to Soarin. It makes crowd/wait time sense to add it, but costs do not make senese. And space. It's too tight of a fit and they would, most likely, have to re-design some of the queing inside.

Even if they do add another theater, on high capacity days, there will STILL be a lot of people not getting onto the ride. And it does not make money sense to add another theater. There is SOOO much more in that ride than the average person can see and know about. Money-speaking, what will Disney gain from it? Nothing.

Plus, the wait times won't get THAT much shorter. A line is a line. You will still wait.

StageFrenzy

Last time i was there i (may 8th) i noticed that the hanger was blue, wasn't it white before? Its especially noticeable from the far side of WS.

RSoxNo1

I'm heading over to DCA tomorrow, and I'll post the non-peak wait times for Soarin'.

Does anyone know the hourly capacity for the WDW version (I would imagine it would be identical to DCA's version).

culturenthrills

There is absolutely NO truth to this rumor, trust me. A 3rd concourse will never be built, I can assure you.
The refurbishment going on in the queue has nothing to do with an additional concourse - it's just an improvement on the current queue.

The primary reason for not constructing a new theater is simply that there isn't the need. Eventually the ride will meet the same fate as DCA's did. The ride over there is a walk-on sometimes and rarely peaks at the extraordinary waits Epcot's does. As people experience it the demand will slowly wane. It's only been there for 2 years ... give it time and it will be about on the level other classics such as the Mountains are.

DCA also doesn't have the attendance that Epcot has. Esp. when it comes to unique visitors. Alot of DCA's attendance is padded by APers. When DCA is busy Soarin still has a line.

Angelo-Titan

I do not know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but what about a single riders line?

It seems to me that there are alot of seats left empty on Soarin. Just like on TT, a single riders line could improve hourly capacity.

I think that capacity at MS has diminished because of the removal of the single riders line.

DCA's always has a line. Its the most popular ride in the park and is very rare to see a line shorter than 30min on the slowest days!

ToTBellHop

DCA's always has a line. Its the most popular ride in the park and is very rare to see a line shorter than 30min on the slowest days!
I was gonna say...I've always seen long lines and never seen it walk-on. I grant you it doesn't usually get 4 hour waits like at Epcot, but DCA's annual attendance is half that of Epcot's, while the hourly capacity of these two rides is identical (actually a little lower at Epcot due to the lack of a Single Flyer Line so some seats go empty).

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If its cost couldnt they just buy one of the old hangars from the Royal Air Force, I mean if they could ship and rebuild London Bridge, an old WWII bomber hangar would be a piece of wee wee.

GET

RSoxNo1

The largest wait I saw on Soarin' today at DCA was 20 minutes. We waited in line, and it was about 12 minutes. They also weren't using an entire section of the hanger, they only filled up sections 1 and 2 for the hangar we were in, the two times we went on the ride.

Ironically, the longest wait we had was for the Sun Wheel, that was about 45 minutes. Grizzly River Run and California Screamin' were 15-20 minutes at the most.

Glasgow

I'd much rather see a huge improvement to the queue (which may be in the works) than another screen. That was one of the biggest disappointments for me during my last trip -- the completely dull and unimmersive queue at Soarin.
I'd rather be waiting in the security line at the regular airport .. at least there the smell of BO is generally lower.

basas

I'd much rather see a huge improvement to the queue (which may be in the works) than another screen. That was one of the biggest disappointments for me during my last trip -- the completely dull and unimmersive queue at Soarin.
I'd rather be waiting in the security line at the regular airport .. at least there the smell of BO is generally lower.

I just wish they would cut it in half or something. I can't stand how wide it is.

ToTBellHop

I just wish they would cut it in half or something. I can't stand how wide it is.
agreed...it promotes cutting when you get these wise guys and girls who think they will snake their way through the line. I doubt they will change anything, though, if they are adding these kiosks. You need a few moments to use such a kiosk and bona fide switchbacks don't allow that since you are constantly moving.

Rob562

If its cost couldnt they just buy one of the old hangars from the Royal Air Force, I mean if they could ship and rebuild London Bridge, an old WWII bomber hangar would be a piece of wee wee.

GET

I'm *pretty* sure the physical building is actually one of the cheapest parts of Soarin's construction... Factor in the foundation, electrical and air handling equipment, ride structure (which is HUGE and HEAVY), screens, IMAX projection equipment, etc and the building itself is rather minor.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom