Soaring Addition??

MythBuster

Original Poster
I just heard today due to the popularity and long waits at Soaring, that they will be adding an additional hangar. Don't know the start or complete date, just that they are adding a new hangar.

Mikester71

Is that why the new pictures around there show construction? (in merf's thread)

Sorry IROC, totally off topic here. But did you find some parking passes yet for your upcoming trip? I know you had asked me if I still had my AAA Diamond parking pass so that you could borrow it, but I have had no luck finding it as of yet. Just curious if you found one already or not.

DisneyWales

There are two in Florida as well, concourse 1 and 2, or left and right.

I heard this rumour, which I belive started about 3 months after soarin' opened. Due to the demand for the attraction. I think the new entrace reworking is Disney's way of trying to save money, to see if they can redude the wait time for it, and hope that the intrest levels off soon.

A third concorse would be an awsome addition right now, but i think what conserns Disney is would it be a viable option for the future of the attraction.

I think they could in the future offer different versions of the attraction, i.e. different Destinations to soar over, there fore inproving the reride value, and keep intrest alive. However the ride shows small signs of intrest dying down at the moment.

Passport

Yesterday Misson Space had a wait of 20 minutes and Soarin' 75 minutes. It is still very busy. But it is nice to see Living With the Land with wait times under 10 minutes. Getting rid of the CM's on the boat was one of the best things they could have done.

DisneyMusician2

We can always hope. This is a great possibility, and I haven't seen the lines dying down any. With the system the way it is, the ride does offer a unique opportunity for expansion and updates. I'll be interested to see where they take it.

Passport

We did have an issue yesterday. When I sat down in the ride my seatbelt was pulled out like a very large person was there before. So I retracted it then fastened it without any problems. In the row behind me another belt was the same way but instead of the mother helping her tiny girl to fix it before clicking it, she waits until the lights dim to start screaming for help. Apparently she had it clicked in but couldn't retract it to fit her daughter. The ride was paused for about 10 minutes while CM's came to manually unlock and refasten all the guests seatbelts. The CM checking belts at the beginning should have noticed it or at the very least, the mother should have asked for help much earlier than she did. Then the ride went fine.

bgraham34

I just love soarin. I would just be surprised if they added another screen. I think the cost would be very high to do this.

PhilharMagician

I just heard today due to the popularity and long waits at Soaring, that they will be adding an additional hangar. Don't know the start or complete date, just that they are adding a new hangar.

This rumor has been around the block and back a few times. Where did you get this info?? I really find this hard to believe, not that the ride could not use more capacity.
Wasn't there some sort of press relese talking about the expansion of Soarin when Lasseter took over? I thought I remember reading that Imagineering looked at it, but top brass said no to the expansion.

jmvd20

This has been around ever since Soarin opened. I doubt an additional screen will be built anytime in the near future.

Is that why the new pictures around there show construction? (in merf's thread)

Those pictures show the ongoing que renovation work at Soarin. Has nothing to do with a new theater or screen being built.

darthjohnny

I think a 3rd screen would be great. It would really cut down the wait time.

But I've heard this rumor before. Disney did know how popular this ride was in DCA before they built it in Epcot, so why not just build more theaters when it was originally being constructed by The Land? Many people feel that is the reason that there won't be a third theater anytime soon.

But I would totally love a third, and even a fourth theater open too.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I dont see it happening. I think Disney would rather the ride just remain very popular, and with a line, than to spend 10s of millions on just increasing capacity. Guests wont perceive that as an addition, but the expenditure would take away from other new attractions that would be perceived as NEW by guests.

Shaman

I dont see it happening. I think Disney would rather the ride just remain very popular, and with a line, than to spend 10s of millions on just increasing capacity. Guests wont perceive that as an addition, but the expenditure would take away from other new attractions that would be perceived as NEW by guests.

True. Good point. But, if they plan on replacing the film after x number of years, then the ride will never get "old"...people could get tired (bored) of the format but, it could remain popular for a large number years if we'll be seeing new videos/effects every so often. Long term in may not make much sense to build another theater, because we don't know where popularity for the attraction will be ten years down the line...but short term I think it makes sense, the faster you get people through the line, the better the chances they'll be spending money elsewhere within the pavilion and/or throughout Epcot.

How much space do they have to work with back there anyways?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom