Trip Report Soarin' Through Our Extended Family Vacation! COMPLETED

Welcome to my latest trip report! To see what my family was up to in July 2016, check out my last Trip Report!

This trip took place May 16-20, 2018, and it was different in a multitude of ways. Since that last trip, I gave birth to my youngest kiddo. C is now 1.5 years old (and totally awesome). And I'm now pregnant with our third (I hit 33 weeks pregnant on Friday of our trip!). Plus, we brought along my father-in-law and mother-in-law, seniors visiting from India for six months. So what do you do when you've got six travelers in need of MagicBands? Rainbow bands, y'all!

IMG_9747.JPG

My six-year-old (K) was pretty thrilled about this when we told her -- which we did not do until a month before we left. Too many variables that could've blown the trip, so we played it a little safe. We planned the trip just 62 days before it began, but I was able to nail down my Fastpass+ right at the sixty day mark. I covertly asked my kiddo what order she'd want to visit parks and which rides she'd love to ride if she could, blah, blah. She never caught on, and she gave me all the info I needed to plan!

So we started our trip bright and early on Wednesday, May 16, beginning our 9-ish hour drive from the Raleigh area at just after 5AM. (DD requested 2AM, but the grown-ups course-corrected her to a more reasonable hour.) We passed all the landmarks -- South of the Border being a kind of family joke from when I was a kid, so I always take a pic on the way by.

IMG_9748.JPG

For this trip we opted to stay in an Art of Animation suite. Previously we had stayed in a Little Mermaid room here, we stayed at All-Star Sports in 2016, and we considered a Fort Wilderness Cabin this time. But the in-laws both have some difficulty walking/get tired very easily, and I knew that we could get closer to the food court and bus stops at AoA. (Fort Wilderness Cabins would've been good for us because the in-laws are... picky eaters. I can not overstate just how picky they are.)

ANYwho, we arrived at Art of Animation around 230, and we'd received our room ready text somewhere along I-4, so we went straight through the lobby and to our room.

IMG_9752.JPG

DSCF4765.JPG

DSCF4759.JPG

IMG_9755.JPG

IMG_9753.JPG

DSCF4757.JPG

Oh, wait! Before we passed through the lobby, we ran into this guy!

DSCF4760.JPG

Yes! Captain Hook (and Donald Duck but I missed a pic of him) was in the house! My husband and toddler grabbed a pic with him while K kept him at arm's length.

Okay, after getting Hook'd in the lobby, we headed to the room. I didn't take too many pics of the room (hello, internet full of photos already), but I'm not a degenerate, so I did take a few.

IMG_9756.JPG

We were in room 535 of Lion King building 10. For us, the location was perfect. We could walk to the main building in just a couple of minutes, making it easier for the seniors. Plus my little one loved the view:

LeighM

Me, my husband, BIL, and SIL all loved Navi River Journey!!! We rode it twice back to back and were so happy :) The first time my husband and I had the first seat in the first car and it was great. The second time, my in laws got to ride in the very front. We wanted to ride it again later in the trip but the waits were always too long.

SarahBella82

Original Poster
Thank the rain on May 19 for this very text-heavy post:

After the UP! show, things got a little... messy. We all went to Expedition: Everest, where DH and DD6 rode twice (she loved it!), and I let C wander around. Thank goodness she wandered over to the Anandapur Ice Cream truck so I could get a twist in a waffle cone to eat in peace with my baby girl. That's right; the in-laws were planted in the shade by Everest, and C and I secretly ate ice cream. Call it self-medicating if you must (I would).

When we left Expedition: Everest, the clouds were mean. But we had to feed the in-laws ASAP, so I took the group to Yak and Yeti Local Foods Cafe, where I was sure MIL would enjoy the vegetable tikka masala -- and thus I gave up my dream of eating at Satu'li Canteen to make her happy. (Spoiler alert: nope.) Just as we got our food, the skies opened up -- along with my emotions.

I couldn't find covered seating for my group of six, but some very sweet diners gave up seats and stood up to eat so we could have a little table space. I was so grateful, and this moment of kindness from strangers after three days of being underappreciated (to say the least) by my own family was too much. I burst into tears when I went back up to the window to get our waters and had to take some time to compose myself. When I got back to the table, everyone was eating and fine and just a little wet. But the rain... was a deluge.

And the rain didn't stop. But we still had a Flight of Passage FP+ to use, and I wasn't about to miss it. So on went the ponchos and out came the umbrellas. I pushed the chair and thus had no umbrella. So let's just say I looked like a drowned rat. But honestly, the rain was fine with me. I just knew the other adults were miserable. Still, we picked our way back to Pandora, getting thoroughly soaked.

Once at FOP, I stayed out with C while my DH picked up a child swap and took the rest of the group onto the ride. It took them a hella-long time to get through the FP+ line and finish the ride. Meanwhile, C and I were doing fine. I let her stomp in puddles (and stomped in a few myself), and eventually, the rain eased up a little, and she fell asleep on my lap (I sat on some rocks near the FP entrance). I was watching the exit for my people, but never saw them. Eventually I stood up and happened to see DH down by Satu'li. Evidently they went there after the ride so his parents could rest in the covered seating. I handed over the still-sleeping toddler and took K back onto the ride with me.

IMG_9962.JPG
IMG_9963.JPG

So here's the thing: my expectations for this ride were way too high. And it just didn't blow my mind. Maybe I was too interested in the mechanics of it (looking to see the four (?) stories of people riding in front of one massive screen) and let myself get out of the mindset. Maybe I was a little concerned about my pregnant belly and whether I was going to be too squished. I don't know. I enjoyed the heck out of it, but of the two Pandora rides, I enjoyed my Navi River Journey more.

After K and I disembarked from our banshees, we rejoined the others and headed straight for the buses. The rain blasted us again on the way, and it was a relief to get on a bus. I would've stayed behind and tried to do more, but the Safari was down, and I couldn't ride Everest or Dinosaur. I probably would've tried to squeeze in one more Navi River Journey, but I guess that's it. Anyway, it was a fine, sad (but almost not really sad) trip back to the hotel from our final park day. We got some food and shopped and called it an early night.

SarahBella82

Original Poster
Final Thoughts:

We left the next morning around 7AM (by the time we got some gas). The ride home was a little longer with more stops, but we all survived it. I tried to process the past four days and come to terms with some hurt feelings. I am still trying to do that, I guess. Lots of my mom/bus stop friends have asked me about the trip, and I try to focus on the positives.

* Touring Epcot with just my six-year-old Disney lover was the biggest highlight. She's my little person and has such a big sense of the world. It was a wonderful, wet afternoon and evening that I'll treasure forever.
* Seeing my sister and the girls was fun, if too short. The three girls got their traditional pics taken in the arcade photo booth, and their silly faces smile back at me from my fridge every day.
* Being in the parks and riding just about everything that DD6 wanted to ride was a success, despite the added obstacles of needing to take more breaks and having to stop to rest and eat more frequently than we normally would.
* Pandora was fabulous. I can't wait to explore it again.
* The next time I go I will be sans unborn baby and thus will return to my glory days of riding every ride!

Some discoveries:

* Art of Animation suites were a good fit for us on this trip, but in the future, when it's just the five of us, I'll opt for a Moderate or Deluxe (renting DVC points, probably) that'll fit 5+.
* I'm a park-hopper girl, not a one-park-per-day girl. I feel like we got a lot more done when we could focus on smaller parts of the parks for half-days rather than criss-crossing the parks for full-ish days.
* I have more patience than I ever realized, more physical strength than I probably deserve, and bigger feelings than one person could ever need. :-/
* I don't like Mickey pretzels. But I do like funnel cakes. :p

And my parting shot:

IMG_9976.JPG

Thanks for reading! Until next time... in 2020, when two of my kids will still be free. :p

LeighM

There are parts of your trip report that sounds eerily similar to mine. I didn't have my crying fit in the parks though. Mine came at night when I was in the shower. I was travelling with my husband and one of his brothers/SIL for an adults only trip, which wasn't bad all things considered. I'm still trying to focus on the positives of the trip but it definitely wasn't the vacation I dreamt of, or planned, for a year and a half. I'm hoping by only thinking of the good, that I can forget about the bad :) I kinda feel like I was cheated out of some of the magic or something LOL. I hope you have a fantastic time when you return in 2020!!

fractal

Enjoyed your report. It's stressful being the group leader - I can relate with making sacrifices to make others happy.

I think the problem most people had with Navi River was the wait. I like the ride, but after doing it once would probably not wait much more than 20 minutes.

Trying to figure out how FoP works and seeing the different levels of riders probably did take away from your ride. I agree that to fully enjoy it you have to "just believe" and focus on your own experience.

Thanks for the TR!

SarahBella82

Original Poster
There are parts of your trip report that sounds eerily similar to mine. I didn't have my crying fit in the parks though. Mine came at night when I was in the shower. I was travelling with my husband and one of his brothers/SIL for an adults only trip, which wasn't bad all things considered. I'm still trying to focus on the positives of the trip but it definitely wasn't the vacation I dreamt of, or planned, for a year and a half. I'm hoping by only thinking of the good, that I can forget about the bad :) I kinda feel like I was cheated out of some of the magic or something LOL. I hope you have a fantastic time when you return in 2020!!

I hear your pain. This was C's first trip, and I'm sad that it's so tainted with so much sadness, for me. I keep telling myself that her first REAL trip will be when she knows what's going on and will remember things, and I really do think that's true for me. But the disappointments have been hitting here for a few months already, and this was just too much at times.

Thanks for commiserating, although I wish neither of us had to!

SarahBella82

Original Poster
Enjoyed your report. It's stressful being the group leader - I can relate with making sacrifices to make others happy.

I think the problem most people had with Navi River was the wait. I like the ride, but after doing it once would probably not wait much more than 20 minutes.

Trying to figure out how FoP works and seeing the different levels of riders probably did take away from your ride. I agree that to fully enjoy it you have to "just believe" and focus on your own experience.

Thanks for the TR!

It IS stressful being the group leader. If only all members of the group could follow simple directives and follow the leader! I guess that's probably why I enjoyed my time alone with K; she goes along with everything, and everything is fun and exciting to her. And that transferred to me, too.

slipperalwaysfits

I'm so glad you had that magical afternoon in Epcot with your girl! And were able to eat ice cream and ride the train with your little one! I'm sorry you had a stressful trip, but I'm hoping you have many more magic moments on your next trip. Yes, going with a big group is hard. My hubby and I went with my mom and her bff. They enjoyed Disney but split up from us a fair bit because they had other things they wanted to do. I feel like it's better when you don't have to be with a group every second!o_O Here's to a magical trip in 2020!

KatieLVT

Thank you for your trip report! Man, I give you major props for all that you endured (pushing wheelchair, planning the days, chasing a small child, putting up with grumpy in-laws) all while 33 weeks pregnant!? Dang, girl! You need to get some kind of award for that! Congratulations on your newest little one and I'm sure the next trip will be all that you imagine. :)

dizfan917

Thanks for the FUN report! I'm sorry to hear that you had a few moments of exasperation and unhappiness. Planning and leading a trip of any size can be stressful and filled with all sorts of emotions - "is everyone having a good time?", "we should be doing MORE!", "what about the things I really want to do?!". They are lucky to have had you as their guide. Hopefully next time will be easier and more relaxed...

I'm headed to WDW in July with a group of 20 peeps (family & friends) celebrating a bunch of birthdays. I need to learn from your experience and just breathe IN and then OUT and make the best of it!! :geek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom