Soarin' Over Florida (Open Brainstorming)

mharrington

Original Poster
One of my main gripes with Soarin' at The Land at Epcot is that it's a direct lift of the Soarin' ride out in DCA. Only the "Over California" part is dropped. I don't like that you have a ride over California as a ride in Florida. It makes perfect sense in CA, but not in FL.

So what I was thinking was that they should eliminate the current Soarin' ride in The Land, and replace it with something more fitting: namely, "Soarin' Over Florida". I think it could work. Let's see, we have beaches, swamps, the Everglades, great expanses of water, maybe a golf game, a space shuttle taking off, the Daytona 500 and, of course, WDW.

Can anyone give me a hand here, please? And please, don't protest about having the whole USA or the world for a flight this time, because I thought of this idea myself. And I also found a video on YouTube that may give an idea of what the ride would be like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYaotKPxknM.

comics101

I didn't think it could work until I saw that video. My biggest complaint is that FL has no mountains, but I thought the rocket taking off would be really sweet. Also, for the finale, I personally think it'd be awesome to end soarin' toward SSE instead of Cinderella Castle. I know that video couldn't do it for obvious reasons, but that was pretty cool.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Pretty cool.

I think I would add some shots of some of the gorgeous natural fresh water springs in Florida.

How about some shots of the Keys, perhaps a shot of cypress swamps from the Suwannee region, the sugar sand beaches of the panhandle, et.al.

Florida does have some great natural beauty and I would love for Disney to acknowledge that fact.

Figment632

IMO While Florida has some great landscape I just don't think it would make a good movie for Soarin. I'd would however like to see Soarin over the World.

EPCOT Explorer

Pretty cool.

I think I would add some shots of some of the gorgeous natural fresh water springs in Florida.

How about some shots of the Keys, perhaps a shot of cypress swamps from the Suwannee region, the sugar sand beaches of the panhandle, et.al.

Florida does have some great natural beauty and I would love for Disney to acknowledge that fact.
Exactly. We have a wonderful state.

And, if creative, they could have you fly through a hurricane.:lookaroun:lol:

IMO While Florida has some great landscape I just don't think it would make a good movie for Soarin. I'd would however like to see Soarin over the World.

As would I. Perfect WS link in FW.

Also...if they want to have it in EPCOT...make it END in EPCOT. :D During ROE.

jeopardyfish

I am not familiar enough with Florida to offer any really decent ideas (but I'm going to try anyway :D) as to what to put in the video (my two experiences with Florida have been Disney-only), but I'm sure there must be something, as I've heard it is a really gorgeous state (and the little parts outside the World I saw certainly were beautiful!). I thought it was so tacky just grabbing the ride from California and shoehorning it in, especially with the big finale being set at Disneyland!
I've seen people hang-gliding on the beach in Maine; surely that could work on the beach in Florida. The Everglades certainly would be great. Maybe there could be some reason conceived to be zooming through a grove of cypresses or something? Florida makes me think of something like that. I love the idea of using a space shuttle taking off!
I doubt anything with the Daytona 500 would be used. Your mileage may vary, of course, and perhaps this is just the vantage point of a Northerner (almost; I'm from near Washington, DC), but I have the impression that Disney for sure and perhaps the tourism powers that be in Florida in general are trying to distance themselves from the idea of Florida as Southern. The stereotype of the South many hold up here is that beer-drinking hicks drive trucks in the morning and watch NASCAR at night. This is of course completely untrue, but I still get the impression that Disney does not want itself associated with the idea of being Southern at all (of course, this is foolish too, especially since the World is indeed in the South!).
I think it would be a crime if the finale of a ride such as this didn't involve Spaceship Earth, but I suppose that Cinderella Castle could be used (although the ride is in Epcot and not Magic Kingdom...I think it's so unusual that the ride was installed in DCA when Sleeping Beauty Castle is in Disneyland! perhaps it was designed for Disneyland but they just needed to put a crowd-drawer into DCA, and perhaps there is less "division between the parks" in California, but it's so strange) if Disney really wanted to. It's just such a beautiful structure; an aerial shot zooming into it would be lovely. I've seen some old promotional pictures with Mickey on top of the geosphere, and perhaps something like this could be used instead of Cinderella Castle if Disney thought that Spaceship Earth wasn't "Disney" enough (I know this is so foolish, but don't forget, these are the people who brought us Stitch's Supersonic :D). I have read, though, that the hatch on top of the geosphre is no longer functional. I wonder...

unkadug

jeopardyfish said:
I doubt anything with the Daytona 500 would be used. Your mileage may vary, of course, and perhaps this is just the vantage point of a Northerner (almost; I'm from near Washington, DC), but I have the impression that Disney for sure and perhaps the tourism powers that be in Florida in general are trying to distance themselves from the idea of Florida as Southern. The stereotype of the South many hold up here is that beer-drinking hicks drive trucks in the morning and watch NASCAR at night. This is of course completely untrue, but I still get the impression that Disney does not want itself associated with the idea of being Southern at all (of course, this is foolish too, especially since the World is indeed in the South!).

If Disney was trying to distance themselves from NASCAR, then why did they build the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

That's kinda hard to hide from ANYONE visiting the Magic Kingdom.

_Scar

I've been a Florida resident my whole life. I can admit, Florida doesn't have much natural things to look at, therefore, I'd rather see soaring over the world. Just my opinion.

unkadug

I've been a Florida resident my whole life. I can admit, Florida doesn't have much natural things to look at, therefore, I'd rather see soaring over the world. Just my opinion.

Au contraire, it's just you've looked at it all your life, so therefore you've grown accustomed to the natural beauty contained in your state.

Don't sell Florida short.

techiegsy

I would love to see soaring over the world... We could go to all the disney parks around the world and end at Epcot...

Be nice to have a change...

krankenstein

One of my main gripes with Soarin' at The Land at Epcot is that it's a direct lift of the Soarin' ride out in DCA. Only the "Over California" part is dropped. I don't like that you have a ride over California as a ride in Florida. It makes perfect sense in CA, but not in FL.

So what I was thinking was that they should eliminate the current Soarin' ride in The Land, and replace it with something more fitting: namely, "Soarin' Over Florida". I think it could work. Let's see, we have beaches, swamps, the Everglades, great expanses of water, maybe a golf game, a space shuttle taking off, the Daytona 500 and, of course, WDW.

Can anyone give me a hand here, please? And please, don't protest about having the whole USA or the world for a flight this time, because I thought of this idea myself. And I also found a video on YouTube that may give an idea of what the ride would be like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYaotKPxknM.

Now that would be cool to Soar over! :D

rsoxguy

Soarin' Florida over:

• Orange groves
  • Any one of numerous beaches
  • The Everglades
  • A lighthouse in Jupiter, Key West, Cape Florida, etc.
  • The Seven Mile Bridge
  • The Breakers Hotel or The Flagler Museum
  • Sanibel Island or Captiva Island
  • Cape Kennedy launchpad site
  • Any one of numerous palm tree nurseries
  • Any park monument at WDW
  • Lake Okeechobee shoreline
  • Countless golf courses
  • Several military bases containing jets and ships
  • Tampa bay waterside
  • Water sports such as jet skiers water skiers in formation
Florida is a beautiful State with countless possibilities for aerial filming. IMO Disney would do well to give it a try.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom