Soarin' Official!

CTXRover

I've been thinking about this CA thing (I know, my head hurts now ;) :lol: ). I'm almost 100% positive this will coincide with the 18 month+ worldwide Disney celebration of "50 Years of Theme Parks" when Disneyland turns 50. This celebration starts in May 2005 and Soarin' is set to be completed in 2005. Boom! Now Epcot has something to tie it to California, home of Disneyland, the birthplace of theme parks! When Soarin' opens it will more than likely be presented as a tie in to CA for this reason.

That gives Imagineers the year and a half of celebration plus the year and a half until it actually opens (3 years total) to shoot a new film to replace it by late 2006/2007. So, to be honest, when I think of it this way, I'm thrilled that it will be Soarin' over California. What better way to allow Epcot visitors to see the state that started the entire theme park industry. :D

PeterAlt

Originally posted by Testtrack321
I love the ride, but why *just* California? Dosn't it seem kinda random and limmiting in a story concept?

Think of it this way. This is a great excuse for them to build the show building and install the ride technology. In the future, it would be simple (and affordable) for them (Disney) to replace the movie with something else. It would also give guests a reason for coming back.

CTXRover

Originally posted by PeterAlt
Think of it this way. This is a great excuse for them to build the show building and install the ride technology. In the future, it would be simple (and affordable) for them (Disney) to replace the movie with something else. It would also give guests a reason for coming back.

Well said. :) The CA film will most likely just be there through the 50 years of the theme park celebration that all Disney theme park resorts will celebrate starting May 2005 (in honor of DL's 50th). By using the same film now, we will finally get the ride and its ride system in place. Replacing the film later will be no problem and would require probably very little downtime to re-program the simulator to the new film.

S.I.R.

The reason Disney built DCA was because they found out that when most people visited LA/ Anaheim they wished they could see the whole state or at least more of it. Soarin being one DCA's star attractions totally brings home the breadth of an amazing state. From the orange groves to the ocean. From the mountains to the major cities. I'm not sure Soarin could be much better. Honestly if Disney changed the name to Florida and kept the same film most people wouldn't even realize it was California (even though Florida has few mountains and many swamps). I think it will be a great addition to Epcot as Epcot is all about experiencing different places. I also think it will fit in beautifully with the Land. Please trust me most everyone will love this ride its simply the best rides Disney has made in years!!!

Orignally posted by Lee
Soarin' is absolutely the best thing they could possibly add to Epcot. I've ridden it many times at DCA, and can't wait to ride it many more at WDW. Wonderful attraction.

Could not have said it better!! Thanks for reading my first post. Long time lurker first time poster.

Who will sponsor this attraction?

Is Soarin' Over California in DL sponsored by a Company or the State of California. Will Nestle be sponsoring Soarin' Over California in WDW? Surely the State of California wouldn't sponsor a ride in Florida. Oh, or is Kraft sponsoring Soarin'. Also, I know that MS is sponsored by HP, but what about the Stunt Show or Stitch escape? Any sponsors? I am just thinking of all this b/c I know in the last year or two WDW has lost some sponsors like FEd-Ex at Space Mountain. :confused:

mickhyperion

Well, I think its disappointing news. Of course, they can always change the film eventually just like they do with Star Tours... uh, wait... maybe not.

I'm on the west coast and have been on Soarin' enough times at DCA that I don't need to see it again. I will probably check it out once at Epcot to see how much of the queue is the same and the theatre room itself, but once will be enough. It's just not that repeatable. Much like trying to watch the Canada, France, and China films over and over and over.

They have an entire world they can film. They could just fly around WDW and make a great movie out of that. The whole plan reeks of measly budget constraints. It's great that they are putting yet another attraction in at WDW, but I think they could have afforded a new film. Most people on the west coast and those who frequent Disneyland won't be excited to see this at all.

MrPromey

Originally posted by mickhyperion
Well, I think its disappointing news. Of course, they can always change the film eventually just like they do with Star Tours... uh, wait... maybe not.

More like just what they did with Magic Journeys/Capt. Eo/Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

The Star Tours thing is a bit more complex because of the third party licensing involved with the attraction. There also isn’t that huge of a need to for it with this one except for those that think the pilot drone should be replaced with JarJar. The timeline unfolding in the moves actually pushes the current attraction along since it doesn’t involve any central characters and actually takes place at a date beyond that of the current three movies. In the second movie we see the plans for the Death Star and in the ride we go along and destroy it after it’s built. At any rate, the current attraction makes more sense than the rumored pod racer one based on where the story has gone since Episode I.

SNS

Originally posted by mickhyperion
They could just fly around WDW and make a great movie out of that.

At the rate they are replacing attractions, the ride video will get dated really fast.

TP2000

Re: But why???

Originally posted by marksniles
But why are they making it California. This is Florida NOT California. Take the ride concept but make it orginial to the park. Umm they've done it to the Haunted Mansion. Each are slightly different. What makes this ride different. OR??? Could it be they are just copying it to save money right now and will update it later? HMMMM Something to think about.

Later guys,
Mark

Why? The quick and dirty answer is because "It's cheaper that way". This is a cheaper way to get the fantastic Soarin' attraction in to Epcot without running up the bill for the expensive aerial photography and digital editing.

The less flattering answer to people who live back East is because California is a much more attractive state than the majority of the "flat as a pancake" East Coast. Now before you jump all over me because my bio info lists me as a Californian, please take into account that I have lived in many areas of the USA. I have spent years living in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic states, and New England. I have travelled extensively in the Midwest, and Lower Plains/Texas.

All of those areas of the country have very nice people living there, but when it comes to topography and natural beauty they can't hold a candle to the incredible diversity and awe inspiring sights of California. So why wouldn't they go with the California film for the first few years in order to cut the budget?

What I would never hold my breath for is a provinicial film idea like "Soarin' Over Florida" or "Soarin' Over The South". That ride film would be BORING, and you would get tired of seeing the same swamp and the same flat forest land after about 20 seconds. Perhaps in the future there will be a Soarin' Over America, and a few quick shots can be taken of a couple of the city skylines, swamps, quaint seaports, forests and flat landscape of the East Coast States.

But when it comes to breathtakingly dramatic landscapes on a cheap budget, Soarin' Over California is the obvious choice.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Re: Re: But why???

Originally posted by TP2000
I have spent years living in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic states, and New England.

you're new, so I'll be nice... lol..

however...

how can you say that there is no beautiful scenery in New England??? Ever been to Vermont?

also.. flat as a pancake.. lol... ever heard of the Appalachian Mountains?

that is all... lol

marksniles

The White Montains in NH are beautiful as well. I know it's just your opinion but don't diss the rest of the country. There are many beautiful parts to our great country.

MrPromey

The White Montains in NH are beautiful as well. I know it's just your opinion but don't diss the rest of the country. There are many beautiful parts to our great country.

Actually, the most appropriate theme for the land would be a movie that covers the most interesting and unique climates and landscapes the world over. When it is all said and done, logically, there is absolutely no reason for the theme of this attraction in Epcot to be limited to a single state or a single country since the rest of the pavilion suggests no such limitation on theme.

TP2000

Yes, New Hampshire is lovely. I used to live just over the Mass state line, south of Nashua. The winters were long and brutal, but the Autumn's were spectacular.

But when the Imagineers set out to do a "Soarin Over America" ride film in a few years and they need "mountains", I'd bet a churro that they head to the Rockies in Colorado, the Grand Tetons in Utah, or the volcanic Cascades in Oregon and Washington. The relatively tame (for the Far West) San Gabriel Mountains that border Los Angeles/Orange County to the north (and that I'm looking at now outside my window from my suburban home 8 miles from Disneyland) are taller and more dramatic looking than the older and topographically weathered White Mountains. Not to say the White's aren't pretty or populated by very nice people. But when it comes time to impress a theme park audience, WDI is going to go for the country's big guns for a ride film.

My point is not to "diss" sections of America, as every place I've lived has had it's fine points. My point is to try to impress upon the folks that have neither been to California or Disneyland Resort that Soarin' Over California is a fantastic ride film that will be a HUGE hit when it opens at Epcot regardless of it's California theme. When they do the America version of Soarin', California will likely get just 10 or 15 seconds of film time and it will likely be the Golden Gate Bridge, the Hollywood Hills and the defiantly rugged Big Sur coastline.

When considering locales with aerial visual impact, you've got to think "hits and highlights" here, as the movie clips on Soarin' only last 15 or 20 seconds. And just because some states have "mountains" that would be classified only as medium sized hills in other states means that some states are going to get downplayed a bit in favor of the more visually stunning states when they do the American ride film.

That's not to say that every scene in Soarin' Over California is absolutely stunning in it's scenic beauty. As an example, the flyover of the San Diego harbor is rather bland, and if a new ride film needs a "big city harbor" shot I bet the fairly nondescript San Diego gets cut in favor of the more impressive harbors of Boston or Seattle.

Come to think of it, this conversation is probably a glimpse into our future. If and when they do a "America" ride film, there are likely going to be a lot of people who get a bit testy when their home state gets a perceived slight, or if the "right" scenes or locations aren't featured in the film. With Soarin' Over California, they were blessed with a state that is crammed full of scenic beauty on a very grand scale and plenty of time during the 4 minute ride time to get in views of more average locations like the San Diego skyline and harbor. (The San Diego scene is more about the Navy aircraft carrier and air traffic than the skyline however) I can't wait to see those topics heat up the discussion boards in a couple of years!

And I stand by my overly simplistic statement that much of the East Coast is very flat. I just got back from a trip to Atlanta and Charleston, and the two Californians I was with kept saying "My God, this place is as flat as a checkerboard!" It's all in the perspective I guess.

TP2000

Speaking of New Hampshires tallest peak at 6,288 feet and the White Mountains of New Hampshire, California has a White Mountain Peak. White Mountain Peak is the third highest mountain in California at 14,246 feet. Here's a link to a picture of Mt. Whitney, another California mountain near White Mountain Peak...
http://www.californiapictures.com/sierranevadawhitney.html

So when WDI gets ready to film some "mountains" for Soarin' Over America, they are really going to try and bring out this country's big guns from all 50 states and really impress the audience flying over them.

Just wait until you ride Soarin', you'll love it!

:D

General Grizz

So long as "Soarin' over California" will be replaced within the coming few years, I'm going to grasp it with open arms. This will be a great Epcot experience that adds to the magic. . .

While hopefully keeping Food Rocks alive . . . (and I don't mean because of Food Rocks, but because of the whole potential for a family AA sit-down show).

However, if Disney has no plans to change "Soarin" to a trip over the Land - perhaps rainforests, ecosystems, prairies, tundras, coniferous forests - you know the deal - to keep in tune with the true Epcot message to add a touch of meaning to the attraction (Epcot-wise), then I'll become pretty disgruntled.

As for what we are sure to see so far - I can't wait to experience it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom