Soarin' Evacuation (7/16/19)

HoldenC

I know, right? Nobody should have any expectations after spending up to $125 to enter the park.
Nobody forced you to buy a park ticket 🤷‍♂️ I for one am glad Disney is starting to bend over backwards less for people. It was becoming laughable

Disney.Mike

This guest entitlement is why I'm glad I left the company. Boo hoo your time was "ruined", get over it! You don't deserve any compensation 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, but when I spend upwards of $1,000 a day for my family to go, expecting time to be comped for something isn't unreasonable.

HoldenC

You shouldn't be working for the company then. Guest Service is the key and there is nothing wrong with a Guests expecting their fastpass reinstated for the downtime of the attraction.
Thankfully when I did work there it was in merchandise where, as a coordinator, I wasnt expected to always make the guest happy.

danyoung56

This guest entitlement is why I'm glad I left the company. Boo hoo your time was "ruined", get over it! You don't deserve any compensation 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, but you're wrong. The guest absolutely deserved to receive compensation for the loss of a FP+ Tier 1 attraction. That's not entitlement. Well, maybe it is but not in a bad way. They paid their money and they should get what was agreed on.

Now, if someone is complaining that their trip was RUINED by this and they deserve a week in the Grand Floridian, then that would be the bad type of entitlement.

wdwfan22

Thankfully when I did work there it was in merchandise where, as a coordinator, I wasnt expected to always make the guest happy.

To each their own. During my time with Disney as a manager I evaluated every situation and did my best to come to a positive resolution with our Guests. As I stated earlier to reinstate the fastpass is great Guest recovery from a minor setback.

Chef Mickey

The last thing that anyone needs is for a guest to be told by a CM "Fire alarm went off" and then suddenly Twitter lights up with "Fire at WDW causes emergency evacuation" and then less than reputable news sources run that on their scroll, and suddenly WDW is issuing a press release to try to tamp down something that is really a non story. Never mind the general in park panic that might ensue. It's safer to only tell people what they need to know. Sure, stuff trickles out after the fact, but that's a different scenario and can be handled much more responsibly.
Agreed and I didn't even care for an explanation. I just wanted a replacement Fast Pass...

Could the evacuated guests return directly to the FP entrance and try their MBs there? Might they work again? If not, a useful discussion with the CMs might follow.

I agree that Guest Services is not an option where time is an issue. To activate our APs, we had to go there, so we tried the one at Disney Springs. This was in May, and still cost us an hour. Imagine what it would be at MK.

aaron611

Original Poster
No one is suggesting that getting a free FP is more important. But once CMs have people evac'd and accounted for they should use the scanner to put the FP on people magic band...

Things happen but when you A) use your ONE useful FP on Soarin or B) sit in line for 2 hours to be evac'd, its not unfair to expect for some of your time to be refunded (by getting a FP)....

Yea, you could spend an hour and half going to and dealing with guest services to get a FP for a ride with an hour and half wait... but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Yes, my point exactly. And actually just a “we apologize for the inconvenience“ would’ve been better than the complete silence we received from the CMs.

aaron611

Original Poster
Could the evacuated guests return directly to the FP entrance and try their MBs there? Might they work again? If not, a useful discussion with the CMs might follow.

We will never know. Because the CMs told us nothing.

We didn’t want to waste time walking back into the Land and down to Soarin to possibly wait in line for another hour or be told that it was not open . The kids and I just headed on to our next fast pass that we had scheduled.

As for the discussion above about “entitled guests“, I didn’t get all ed about it and neither did anyone else. The hundred people or so that were taken off the ride and dumped back into the park without explanation actually behaved extremely well, despite the circumstances.

We only spent $8,400 at Disney last week, so I really shouldn’t expect anything in return. ;)

FettFan

We had fast passes for Soarin' yesterday morning; it was our first FP of the day. So the kids and I hoofed it from the resort bus as fast as we could and barely made it in time.

The FP line took quite awhile and then when we finally got buckled in, they suddenly made an announcement that we were to unfasten our seat belts and exit. All of the cast members acted weird about it and ignored every question from the guests.

At first, we thought they were just having us step outside and then we would come back in and finish the ride. But they ended up marching us out a back exit and winded around through the back lot behind Journey Into Imagination and the Canada Pavilion.

We were deposited back into the park without an apology nor an explanation. The cast members literally said nothing.

It was just really weird. I don't believe the ride was shut down because it continued to show a 60-70 minute wait on the app afterward.

Does anyone know what happened?

Apparently there was a lightning strike that knocked out a transformer during the Monday evening storm that screwed up all the park ride systems.
On Tuesday, some parts of the electrical system were still out of whack; The Express Monorail was still DOA, and the Resort Monorail failed shortly after.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-often-does-this-happen.956478/#post-8783198

MissingDisney

I agree a FP replacement would be nice but Disney makes it clear that if something is closed, no compensation will be given. So, when it is, it’s nice, but not required and shouldn’t be expected.
B0A66944-A8EA-4374-9674-BE170C9A841A.jpeg

MissingDisney

Not “legally”, but yes, some do feel they have an obligation.
Sorry, but when I spend upwards of $1,000 a day for my family to go, expecting time to be comped for something isn't unreasonable.
Sorry, but you're wrong. The guest absolutely deserved to receive compensation for the loss of a FP+ Tier 1 attraction. That's not entitlement. Well, maybe it is but not in a bad way. They paid their money and they should get what was agreed on.

Now, if someone is complaining that their trip was RUINED by this and they deserve a week in the Grand Floridian, then that would be the bad type of entitlement.

Disney.Mike

No one is saying Disney has a legal obligation to. We know companies bury all kinds of crap to protect themselves in paperwork.

But when Disney forces you to plan your vacation at the 6 month and 2 month mark they have an obligation to work in good faith to correct issues like this. Not a legal obligation but a customer service obligation

Disney.Mike

I love Disney as much as anyone here, pending they address my recent complaint to them... But Disney is the only company I can think of (besides MAYBE Tesla and Elon the con fanboys) that people will attack customers over when they simply expect what the paid for

brertigger

If Guest Relations is not close by or has a long line, you can also check with Guest Experience Team cast members around the park. I had a prior issue where a ride broke down and the fastpass they were giving upon exit did not correctly go on the Magicband for some reason, and a Guest Experience Team cast member added a replacement fastpass after verifying the issue - avoiding the walk and wait back to GR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom