So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 19 - Madcap Circus [CONCLUDED]

TheOriginalTiki

Hey guys, you know who we haven't heard from in a while...?
200.gif

That's right. Loki is back to cause more chaos. Much like this past round teams will be picking a first, second, and third choice for the subject of the FINAL pre-merge project, which as a reminder will be the second of two DOUBLE ELIMINATION rounds going into the Merge. The prompt is to design an E-Ticket dark ride out of one of the following Cartoon Network "Mini-Series". (Yes, we know Adventure Time doesn't really count but the IP is too rich with potential to pass up in a theme park setting.)

Option One: Adventure Time
3286.jpg

Option Two: Over the Garden Wall
wp2041476.jpg

Option Three: Infinity Train
infinitytrain_premere_recap.jpg

Please have your teams finalized first, second, and third choices for this IN THE SAME POST as your finished Meet N' Greet project. As usual, the team who gets 1st place will get first choice and so on. LOKI HAS SPOKEN.
5dd122d66bc0cd348a8c7d2efd8131bd.gif

NateD1226

Hey guys, you know who we haven't heard from in a while...?
200.gif

That's right. Loki is back to cause more chaos. Much like this past round teams will be picking a first, second, and third choice for the subject of the FINAL pre-merge project, which as a reminder will be the second of two DOUBLE ELIMINATION rounds going into the Merge. The prompt is to design an E-Ticket dark ride out of one of the following Cartoon Network "Mini-Series". (Yes, we know Adventure Time doesn't really count but the IP is too rich with potential to pass up in a theme park setting.)

Option One: Adventure Time

3286.jpg

Option Two: Over the Garden Wall
wp2041476.jpg

Option Three: Infinity Train
infinitytrain_premere_recap.jpg

Please have your teams finalized first, second, and third choices for this IN THE SAME POST as your finished Meet N' Greet project. As usual, the team who gets 1st place will get first choice and so on. LOKI HAS SPOKEN.
5dd122d66bc0cd348a8c7d2efd8131bd.gif
Looks like my friend and I are going to see each other a lot this week.

The friend in question:
1625185053254.png

TheOriginalTiki

A word of wisdom for making your final selections. Adventure Time might be the most tantalizing choice because it's the most well known, but I'd argue given the HBO Max factor it's easily the HARDEST to actually research. Do with that what you will ;) I just don't want folks to be disappointed when they inevitably don't get Adventure Time and it's the only one of the three they've seen. The other two are SUPER EASILY BINGABLE on HBO Max and remember it's going to be a longer time table than the last two projects.

TheOriginalTiki

If it helps, Over the Garden Wall can be watched in an afternoon. Infinity Train you don’t have to watch the whole series because it’s an anthology. You’d probably be able to get by with the first season.
You definitely don't need to watch Book Four. It's solid enough but was very much a filler/lighter toned season meant to be a breather from the absolute INSANITY that is Book Three...arguably the greatest season of animated TV I've ever seen. Some of the moments still genuinely haunt me. Those who have seen it know what I'm talking about.

TheOriginalTiki

Team Barnum:

The best way I can describe the dynamic with the team this round was an inspirational sports movie. Down and out after loosing a member and @Brer Panther feeling defeated, Outbound gave a ROUSING speech that was genuinely one of the most moving moments I've seen in the game as far as motivational speeches go. It was one for the ages. The team was fighting against loosing a member and a really unconventional Walt's Vault twist. All that said, this genuinely was one of my favorite Meet N' Greet projects I've ever seen in the game. I do think that both Max Rebo and Rotto the Hutt fit really well into the fabric of Galaxy's Edge.

Here's a big distinction between Barnum and Bailey. I saw both teams worried about the show overstaying the Meet n' Greet component. While the show was definitely a big highlight and makes a lot of sense for the Max Rebo character, the VIP experience really is the icing on the cake and really nails what meeting a character like this would be like. The over the top movements on Max were described perfectly. It really made me smile and felt super immersive. On top of that, I really do love the Hutt world-building and like I said it makes a ton of sense on Galaxy's Edge. One of my absolute favorite details was embellishing the truth of the Hutt clan through propaganda posters. I love that kind of stuff. Give me more buff Jaba. Buff Jaba for Smash. All in all this really worked out fluidly and turned into a big highlight of the season.

Creativity: 10/10
Detail: 9/10
Realism: 8/10
Presentation: 8/10
Group Work: 10/10
Total: 45/50

Team Bailey

From the get go, I really respected how much this team just dived right into the prompt and figured out the proper ways to go about getting Palptatine into the picture as well as a work around to get a lot of other characters in as well. With that being said, the fatal flaw of this project is simple...far more time was spent on the "Show" element of the project then the Meet N' Greet itself which really felt like an afterthought especially compared to how much thought went into the Max Rebo interactions.

Now, I will give ya'll a ton of props. This might be the most #GameChanger project presentation-wise of the season so far. Monkey's Palptatine vocals are sublime and were a big highlight. That was only the tip of the iceberg though, as the video itself was pretty damn mind-blowing, especially for a project churned out on this small of a time-table. I really think if we would have gotten a couple more paragraphs about the actual interaction it would have sent your detail over the edge, but as it stands now I view the brief write-up for the main part of the prompt to be the big Achilles Heel of the project. Best of luck, as you still placed very close to Team Barnum and Jokers could easily sway the winds in another direction. Either way it's going to be a tense elimination cycle!

Creativity: 8/10
Detail: 7/10
Realism: 9/10
Presentation: 10/10
Group Work: 9/10
Total: 43/50​

JokersWild

Original Poster
JokersWild Episode IV: A Review Hope

The dead speak! The Imagineering board has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of PIPING HOT TAKES
in the sinister voice of the late (emotionally) JOKERSWILD.
I can't do this anymore. This is a CRY FOR HELP. Anyway, here are the reviews....

Team Ringling - Rendezvous with Grogu and the Mandalorian
Really great job. Right off the bat, your team once again takes a very middle of the road approach with a very smart, very realistic meet n greet experience. I really like the idea of having guests meet The Mandalorian/ Grogu in a storeroom behind Oga's, but I do have a few logistical issues with it. Firstly, you mention it being through a nondescript door inside Oga's Cantina. Does that mean it's only accessible through the Cantina, or can guests from outside also do the meet n greet through a separate entrance? Oga's is pretty small and famously hard to get into, so I foresee the pair playing to an empty storeroom more often than not if the former is the case.

I really like most of the steps you took to update the characters to fit the sequel trilogy. The Mandalorian and Grogu were probably the toughest to adapt to Galaxy's Edge, but I think that you guys did pretty well. My only real qualm, and it's a pretty subjective one, is with how little you actually aged up Grogu. I know that it's only been 25 years and we don't really know a ton about his species' lifecycle, but personally I think that it might have been a bit more interesting to age him up just a little bit more to make him more like a classic Padawan rather than a toddler. I still like the updates you guys made - I just have been interested to see a Grogu that was a bit more different than the one that we met in the show.

I love the website. I had a few issues with how the posts were broken up, but I really appreciate the lengths you guys went to make this look like the actual Star Wars website.

Great job all around. I really enjoyed what you guys came up with, despite some nitpicks.

Creativity: 8/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 9/10
Teamwork: 9/10
Total: 43/50

Team Barnum - Max Rebo
First off, thanks for being so gung-ho about this Max Rebo thing. It was a kind of out there idea I had since Max Rebo is such a weird, and weirdly iconic, character so I'm really glad to see that you guys were so ready and willing to work on it. And, honestly, you guys knocked it out of the park. I really loved everything about it. While you guys took a very similar approach to Team Bailey in that this is more of an experience than a simple meet 'n greet, you still made sure that the meet 'n greet was the center of your project. The more show-y elements were pretty loose and honestly just quintessential Star Wars - super wacky and almost overwhelming, but framed in a weirdly rational way with some lore thrown in.

While I wouldn't have expected Rotta the Hutt, he was a very welcome addition. I think in the Clone Wars all of the Hutts with the exception of Jabba are killed, but Rotta is never given closure so it's pretty realistic that he'd still be slinking around somewhere. And while you ignore the lore a little bit with Max Rebo and his band, I'll forgive it since it's kind of open-ended. Black Spire Outpost is a perfect place for a Hutt outfit. I like how you experience really expands the world of Batuu and Black Spire Outpost. There's already a little underworld present with Hondo and the datapad, but bringing the Hutts in to the mix really helps liven it up.

In terms of the actual experience, I really love it. The details (especially the editorialized tales of Jabba the Hutt) are all fantastic and very fitting. The actual show is a ton of fun while not dragging too long, and the character interactions are a ton of fun as well. And again, the actual meet n greet is great, and I really appreciate that you guys kept it front and center. My only real question is how would Max work as a costumed character? The boy doesn't have arms so he wouldn't be able to use the props you described. Other than that everything sounded perfectly realistic.

Really great turnaround, guys. You really took mine and Tiki's critiques the last two rounds to heart and came out with a really unique meet n greet.

Detail: 9/10
Realism: 8.5/10
Teamwork: 10/10
Total: 45.5/50

Team Bailey - Paths of the Force with Ahsoka
This is probably the most unique of the three. While you technically bent the rules ever so slightly by setting your meet n greet in the World Between Worlds, I personally have no issue with it. It's a really striking setting that would set it apart from the rest of the land really well. That being said, I don't think that you guys focused on the actual meet n greet as much as you should have. This feels more like a show with a very small meet n greet at the end, almost as an afterthought. It kind of reminds me of something like Enchanted Tales with Belle - there's a full multi-part show with a small meet n greet at the end. And I love the show, it's really cool and sort of retroactively introduces Palpatine to the sequel trilogy in a really interesting way (though that does cause some continuity errors with the films is Ahsoka is actively aware that Palpatine has returned, but chooses not to tell anyone.)

Despite issues with this not quite being a proper meet n greet, I really love the setting and celebration of all three trilogies. The art is really great - something that you should absolutely keep pulling out in future rounds, @DisneyFan18, and the video and voice work by @PerGron and @monkey92514 were all standouts. My only real issue with this, much like Team Barnum last project, is that there wasn't enough focus on the actual meet n greet experience.

Presentation: 9/10
Teamwork: 8/10
Total: 44/50

Last edited:

JokersWild

Original Poster
THE RESULTS

The time has come, boys, girls, and nonconforming. Tiki will have his review up for Team Ringling soon, but we have reached a consensus:

Team Barnum
With a mix of taking the twist in stride and coming up with a super unique concept that expanded the world of Batuu, Team Barnum has taken the win. Congrats, guys.

And with that, it's time to move on to the first of the dreaded double eliminations. As we said, one person from each losing team will be sent home.

Team Bailey - @b-wolf95
Team Ringling - @mickeyfan5534

Sorry to see you go, guys.

Tiki will be posting the next project soon, so keep on the lookout.​

TheOriginalTiki

Just some more context for the eliminations.
@b-wolf95 love you in the podcast chats, and you're a great part of the community with your commentary. That being said you literally didn't have a single thing credited to your name in this past project and generally speaking have been relatively inactive compared to most people still in the cast, making this a relatively easy decision.

@mickeyfan5534 this...however, was a brutal decision. You really struggled the first few rounds of the game but came into your own in the later half of the pre-merge stepping up as Project Leader and leading your team to victory. Along with that you managed to craft some really great stuff for this project while on a WDW trip...a feat that's seriously impressive. All that said though, @Mickeynerd17 was the other nominee alongside you and while you've been making great strides in activity, Mickeynerd has been one of the most active people from the jump. Unfortunately it really does come down to consistency here, and Mickeynerd just seems to have a lot more time to devote to this. We loved seeing you play this season, Alex. You showed great perseverance by not dropping out in spite of your scheduling conflicts. You're obviously a fixture of the community and you will be missed in this game.

Walt's Vault was passed off to @AceAstro this past round, who has opened the Vault and discovered the single most powerful twist so far this season hidden within. INSTANT PoMVP. This is simple. Ace automatically won PoMVP for the final pre-merge round of the game and will be SAFE going into this double elimination. As for the rest of you, you're all on the chopping block and with Alex's elimination it goes to show that nobody is safe. You REALLY have to fight to stand out going forward. The post-merge of this season is going to be insane with the level of competition. As a reminder, since all three teams have four members a piece Project Leaders will be giving me ONE name for PoMVP and the other two team members will be up for elimination. Project Leaders are also vulnerable. Obviously with Team Ringling, Ace is safe and so all three remaining members on that team are vulnerable from the jump. Should be a heart-pounding way to enter the merge.

I just woke up in the middle of the night and am going to go on a True Detective binge. The next project along with brainstorming conversations should be sent out before I go back to sleep haha.

TheOriginalTiki

Team Ringling

This was a really great straightforward project that brought the characters to life in a super cool way. I'll get my nitpicks out of the way first. The blog was a cool idea and visually tying it to the Star Wars website was really novel. That being said it lead to some confusing navigation issues at least on my end. While the format certainly made your project stand out, it also didn't really flow as much as the other two because of having to click around especially when half the links were external haha. I love the location being a back room of the cantina, but I do have a problem with how that was executed. First of all, you're knocking out a booth which might seem small but anyone who's actually been inside Oga's knows just how valuable that real estate is. Secondly, I had a hard time visualizing how the flow of guests would work going into the cantina vs. going into the meet n' greet.

The meet n' greet itself however, was wonderful and maybe the most pure example of the genre we got between the three projects. Mando's demeanor is very under-stated and realistic. I can totally picture it in my head and you don't need a ton of detail to convey it. The character pretty much speaks for himself. Grogu on the other hand was handled in a really fantastic way. Not only were the descriptions very apt and in-universe, I LOVED the force encounters and how natural they felt. This was easily the highlight of the project for me. It felt really natural and spontaneous and would definitely give this experience a WOW factor. I also appreciate the fact that your queue was easily the most under-stated of the three. We had some really stiff competition and you guys didn't quite manage to rise to the top, but you should still be proud of what you accomplished.

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 8/10
Group Work: 9/10
Total: 42/50

In first place, Team Barnum gets their first pick of Infinity Train for the next project. In second place, Team Bailey also gets their first choice of Over the Garden Wall for the next project. This leaves Team Ringling with Adventure Time. Prompt coming soon.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom