So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

TheOriginalTiki

Pixar rankings (part one)

The Good Dinosaur - HUGE waste of potential as far as a Pixar dinosaur movie goes. Lazy characters, baffling tone, nothing story. Pretty much just a tech demo for pretty backgrounds.

Monsters University - The ending really sticks to landing, but that doesn't forgive the fact that I've just never been into college movies and this leans into them super hard. The side characters that weren't in the original aren't really that memorable, and even Randall was so much less interesting than he could have been.

Cars 2 - I think this has some of the best action scenes in Pixar as far as just kinetic action goes. I also sort of enjoy the world-building of the Cars universe and Luigi and Guido are my favorite Cars side characters so them having an upgraded role and the stopover in Italy was great fun for me. Other than that...yea, pretty much all the Mater stuff is trash and Lightning feels like a shell of his former self. I do ironically enjoy the Michael Caine spy car though.

Brave - I actually don't mind the twist as much as most people do and it genuinely has a great first act. This isn't my type of movie, but I respect it for being a potential mother/daughter movie night classic.

Finding Dory - I really think Dory's story in this one was top tier. The pebble trail alone puts this above all the films below it. Much like the ending to Monsters University though, that's about all I get out of this one. The aquarium plot feels really cobbled together and the action is a lot more cartoony. Marlin and Nemo genuinely feel like they could have just been cut from the main story and it would have been all the better for it by giving more time to focus on the new characters. All that said though, Hank is a great addition to the Pixar character canon and the animation technique used on him is still kind of mindblowing.

Cars 3 - So much better than it had any right to be. Truly mature and grounded themes of legacy and being past your prime. Basically Pixar's attempt at a Rocky type movie about the veteran training the rookie, but with the twist that the rookie is trying to train the veteran. I also loved some of the stop-offs like the beach, the monster truck rally, and the old race track. The film also did a great job of mirroring Lightning's story with Doc Hudson's.

The Incredibles 2 - Honestly if it weren't for the Jack Jack vs. the raccoon scene, this would be near the bottom. Pretty much everything with Jack Jack and Violet's character development works well enough that it elevates truly bottom tier material when it comes to the """"twist"""" villain, the gender-swapped plotline recycled from the first, the absolutely AWFUL character designs on some of the new Supers. Like I said, certain moments and scenes with Jack Jack and Violet (one of my all time favorite Pixar characters in general) and DEM GRAPHICS in the action scenes really elevate the most disappointing film in Pixar's cannon.

A Bug's Life - It really shouldn't be this high. It's a pretty forgettable footnote towards bigger and better things. With that being said I have MAD nostalgia for it and think basically every side character is iconic. Hopper is easily a top tier Pixar villain. At the time the amount of characters on screen in the ant colony scenes really was a big technical step up from Toy Story.

Soul - Definitely my most controversial ranking. I respect the hell out of the high concepts. I respect the hell out of how dark it can get. I respect the hell out of it being the most culturally relevant film Pixar's ever done. All that said, the body swap twist just REALLY didn't land for me with the one exception of the barbershop scene. Like, I had as negative a reaction to it as most people did to Brave's similar twist. That and for me the third act as a whole sort of falls apart under the weight of its own ambition and I really wasn't a fan of how quick and easy the resolution was. Some top tier stuff, but easily my least favorite of the Pete Doctor movies.

Cars - The idea of the small town tourist destination being bypassed by freeways hit SUPER hard with me at the age I saw it. Our Town is easily the most under-rated heavy hitting emotional Pixar moment. Much like A Bug's Life, this movie is an embarrassment of riches as far as likeable side characters are concerned. I also have a super vivid memory of seeing the waterfall cliffs in theaters and thinking how great it would be if one day that got added to California Adventure. Here we are and Cars Land is among the best creations Imagineering has ever built in my view and all that is owed to just how darn great the world-building for the singular town was.

Wall-E - I feel like this is my other controversial take besides Soul. I respect the ambition behind it. The first half is genuinely some of the greatest stuff Pixar has ever done with world-building and silent character animation. I think the movie just doesn't hold up in the second half though. I'm not a big fan at all of the blobby human character designs. Obviously I get what they're going for thematically but ascetically I just don't like looking at them haha. I'll admit it's been a long time since I've watched this one so I'll need to give it another go. It might very well jump way up in my rankings with more mature eyes.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Pixar rankings (part one)

The Good Dinosaur - HUGE waste of potential as far as a Pixar dinosaur movie goes. Lazy characters, baffling tone, nothing story. Pretty much just a tech demo for pretty backgrounds.

Monsters University - The ending really sticks to landing, but that doesn't forgive the fact that I've just never been into college movies and this leans into them super hard. The side characters that weren't in the original aren't really that memorable, and even Randall was so much less interesting than he could have been.

Cars 2 - I think this has some of the best action scenes in Pixar as far as just kinetic action goes. I also sort of enjoy the world-building of the Cars universe and Luigi and Guido are my favorite Cars side characters so them having an upgraded role and the stopover in Italy was great fun for me. Other than that...yea, pretty much all the Mater stuff is trash and Lightning feels like a shell of his former self. I do ironically enjoy the Michael Caine spy car though.

Brave - I actually don't mind the twist as much as most people do and it genuinely has a great first act. This isn't my type of movie, but I respect it for being a potential mother/daughter movie night classic.

Finding Dory - I really think Dory's story in this one was top tier. The pebble trail alone puts this above all the films below it. Much like the ending to Monsters University though, that's about all I get out of this one. The aquarium plot feels really cobbled together and the action is a lot more cartoony. Marlin and Nemo genuinely feel like they could have just been cut from the main story and it would have been all the better for it by giving more time to focus on the new characters. All that said though, Hank is a great addition to the Pixar character canon and the animation technique used on him is still kind of mindblowing.

Cars 3 - So much better than it had any right to be. Truly mature and grounded themes of legacy and being past your prime. Basically Pixar's attempt at a Rocky type movie about the veteran training the rookie, but with the twist that the rookie is trying to train the veteran. I also loved some of the stop-offs like the beach, the monster truck rally, and the old race track. The film also did a great job of mirroring Lightning's story with Doc Hudson's.

The Incredibles 2 - Honestly if it weren't for the Jack Jack vs. the raccoon scene, this would be near the bottom. Pretty much everything with Jack Jack and Violet's character development works well enough that it elevates truly bottom tier material when it comes to the """"twist"""" villain, the gender-swapped plotline recycled from the first, the absolutely AWFUL character designs on some of the new Supers. Like I said, certain moments and scenes with Jack Jack and Violet (one of my all time favorite Pixar characters in general) and DEM GRAPHICS in the action scenes really elevate the most disappointing film in Pixar's cannon.

A Bug's Life - It really shouldn't be this high. It's a pretty forgettable footnote towards bigger and better things. With that being said I have MAD nostalgia for it and think basically every side character is iconic. Hopper is easily a top tier Pixar villain. At the time the amount of characters on screen in the ant colony scenes really was a big technical step up from Toy Story.

Soul - Definitely my most controversial ranking. I respect the hell out of the high concepts. I respect the hell out of how dark it can get. I respect the hell out of it being the most culturally relevant film Pixar's ever done. All that said, the body swap twist just REALLY didn't land for me with the one exception of the barbershop scene. Like, I had as negative a reaction to it as most people did to Brave's similar twist. That and for me the third act as a whole sort of falls apart under the weight of its own ambition and I really wasn't a fan of how quick and easy the resolution was. Some top tier stuff, but easily my least favorite of the Pete Doctor movies.

Cars - The idea of the small town tourist destination being bypassed by freeways hit SUPER hard with me at the age I saw it. Our Town is easily the most under-rated heavy hitting emotional Pixar moment. Much like A Bug's Life, this movie is an embarrassment of riches as far as likeable side characters are concerned. I also have a super vivid memory of seeing the waterfall cliffs in theaters and thinking how great it would be if one day that got added to California Adventure. Here we are and Cars Land is among the best creations Imagineering has ever built in my view and all that is owed to just how darn great the world-building for the singular town was.

Wall-E - I feel like this is my other controversial take besides Soul. I respect the ambition behind it. The first half is genuinely some of the greatest stuff Pixar has ever done with world-building and silent character animation. I think the movie just doesn't hold up in the second half though. I'm not a big fan at all of the blobby human character designs. Obviously I get what they're going for thematically but ascetically I just don't like looking at them haha. I'll admit it's been a long time since I've watched this one so I'll need to give it another go. It might very well jump way up in my rankings with more mature eyes.
I was so confused for a moment because I thought you were starting with your number 1 and I was like “OH SPICY TAKE COMING IN HOT!!”

DashHaber

To all the DC Comics fans here: two new digital-first comics that DC will be doing are Superman '78 and Batman '89.

image002-2-2.jpg

Mickeynerd17

For funsies I’ll post one of my lists here

View attachment 555916

Ooh, if we're sharing Pixar rankings I just finished watching them a few months ago:
  1. Coco
  2. Up
  3. Inside Out
  4. Ratatouille
  5. Toy Story 3
  6. Toy Story 2
  7. Monsters Inc.
  8. Soul
  9. A Bug’s Life
  10. Toy Story
  11. WALL-E
  12. The Incredibles
  13. Monsters University
  14. Toy Story 4
  15. Finding Nemo
  16. Incredibles 2
  17. Finding Dory
  18. Brave
  19. Cars
  20. Onward
  21. Cars 3
  22. Cars 2
  23. The Good Dinosaur
I seriously don't understand why Cars 2 is hated so much. Its so good! The whole James Bond theme going on is really fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom