So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

Chaos Cat

So, I have a phone interview in about an hour, so I decided to practice answering some potential questions. One of these questions was "What do you do in your personal time?" (Unlikely to come up this early, but doesn't hurt to be prepared.)

It was then that I realized that Armchair Imagineering is one of the most difficult to describe hobbies that I could have. Like, how do you explain that to a non-theme park fan?
Okay, quick update on this:
  1. It was 3, not 3:30
  2. This was more of an introduction than an interview, so I had overprepared significantly (though at least that thankfully meant the hobbies question never came up)

TwilightZone

View attachment 567190

……ha!

It’s time once again for everybody’s 4th favorite summer Imagineering game, TTF!!!

This go around, I wanna know your favorite portable video games!

And this time, we’re expanding the top four to a TOP SIX!!

For the purposes of this discussion topic, we’re talking about games that are played on uniquely portable consoles, with removable cartridges/discs. That means no Tiger electronic games, no Nintendo Game and Watch, and no Nintendo Switch.

Here are my top 6:

6. New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo DS)

The return of Mario to 2D platforming after a nearly 15 year hiatus! And what an absolute joy this game is! To this day it’s fun to replay it from start to finish. I found the level design to be clever and fun, the new power ups to be mostly enjoyable to use, the difficulty curve is very well balanced, and the little gimmicks such as star coins are a welcome addition. And the game sold like 30 million copies so I’m clearly not the only one who absolutely loved it!

5. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (Gameboy Advance)

I am a sucker for any Mario themed turn based RPG! I find the characters and stories to be incredibly charming, and surprisingly deep at times. The first three Paper Mario games actually made me cry! The Mario & Luigi series is a little more lighthearted in nature. Don’t get me wrong, there is still a great story at work, but there is also a great deal of levity, and that really makes these games stand out. Controlling both Bros at the same time is a fantastic mechanic that works effortlessly on the GBA’s simple two face button/two shoulder button controls. I had an absolute blast playing through this and cannot recommend it enough!

4. Metroid Zero Mission (Gameboy Advance)

As the title suggests, this is the original Metroid adventure remade for the GBA. And it is a monumental step up in every way imaginable. The NES classic, while historically significant, is nearly unplayable by modern standards. Zero Mission fixes all of that. Obviously there are significant graphic and sound upgrades, but it goes so much deeper than that. Samus gains many new abilities as established in subsequent titles, many of the rooms have been totally redesigned, there are multiple additional bosses, and the story has been dramatically expanded. And I nearly had a panic attack the first time I ventured into the depths of Tourian. I have replayed this game multiple times, and probably will again ahead of Metroid Dread.

3. Metroid Fusion (Gameboy Advance)

This may just be the most terrifying entry in the entire mainline franchise. Fusion deviates slightly from the norm in Metroid games as the story unfolds in a very linear fashion. But there is still a heavy element of exploration, and it is possible to uncover certain power ups earlier than you’re supposed to. However, my experience with the linear story was absolutely gripping. I felt a true sense of unease that often turned into outright panic and fear throughout my first play through. There were moments when I had chills. Even the on screen dialogue is presented in such a way that the entire experience feels ominous, like something terrible could happen at any moment. Because it can! This game is best experienced late at night in the dark with zero distractions. It was such a rush the first time I played through it that I immediately started a new file and played through it again!

2. Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World (Gameboy Advance)

When I was a very tiny child, Super Mario World for Super Nintendo was my favorite video game of all time, and remained in that position for two decades. There is something indescribably charming and endearing about the SNES’s 16-bit graphics and sound that I don’t think quite carries over the same to previous or subsequent console generations; it’s just quintessential “video game” in the most classic way possible. This remake takes everything that was absolutely wonderful about the original game and amplifies it. I was skeptical at first that the handheld version would be able to live up to my boundless admiration for the home console version, but all of my fears quickly subsided! This is my favorite way to experience my first favorite game! And it feels just as fulfilling to beat SMW on GBA as it does on SNES.

I said Super Mario World was my favorite game of all time for most of my life. I also said that this is my favorite way to experience the game. So why is it number 2? Because my favorite game of all time is number 1.

1. Metroid: Samus Returns (Nintendo 3DS)

Metroid II on Gameboy took everything great about the first NES game and made it better, creating a larger, but more sinister world to explore that becomes more terrifying the further you progress. The Gameboy’s visual and audio limitations only add to the dreadful atmosphere. Many years later, Nintendo gave the classic a remaster for the 3DS, and it is an absolute blast!

The gameplay itself is a riot, with Samus gaining some brand new abilities, including a series of counter attack which can be used in close quarters combat, as well as a range of powerful beam weapons and suit upgrades.

Some of the atmosphere of the original Metroid II is lost here, as Nintendo did want this title to appeal to newer players as well. But they more than make up for it with a plethora of new boss fights, and standard enemies.

One subtle detail of Metroid II that helps create the dreadful atmosphere is the absence of living creatures as Samus ventures further into the Metroid nest. By the final stages, the only living things anywhere around are Metroids. And they are terrifying!

In Samus Returns, the final levels are structured more like a standard Nintendo action platformer with a gauntlet of baddies to defeat near the end of the main portion of the game. However what makes up for this is the “Metroid counter” at the bottom of the screen, which serves as a radar of sorts, it’s beeping increasing in frequency as you get closer to one of the creatures.

And, the sense of fear, panic, and dread becomes all too real when Samus finally enters the Metroid nest. The battle with the Queen Metroid is vastly upgraded from the original, as she is now one of the most challenging bosses in any Nintendo game.

But the real reason this game is my number one is because of the special moment that follows that battle. A moment that is essentially the apex of the entire franchise. I won’t spoil it here, in case anyone wants to experience this game and story for themselves prior to Metroid Dread, but I will say that I flat out ugly cried. I uncontrollably sobbed and also felt the most incredible and genuine sense of accomplishment and also relief at getting to this moment. And every detail that follows for the remaining portions of the game, and the subtle details that change on the games menu screen afterwards just serve to reinforce that unfathomable moment of pure bliss.

Some people might scoff at the idea of playing Metroid for the story. But I digress. The Metroid games feature elements of action, exploration, and horror, but dig a little deeper, and the Metroid games are truly about something else entirely; motherhood. I won’t go into any further details here, but I sincerely invite anyone who has not played through the mainline Metroid franchise to do so and experience it for yourselves.

The correct order is Zero Mission, Samus Returns, Super Metroid, Other M, Fusion, with the forthcoming Metroid Dread to serve as the end of this story arc which all revolves around the pivotal, apex moment that takes place in Samus Retuns, my favorite video game of all time.

What are your top six?
In no particular order and excluding switch games cause that feels kinda like cheating to me : P
6. It's hard to choose just one Pokemon game, but the one I always came back to is Black 2. Cool pokemon, unique locations, and a simple but engaging story. Lots of fun and nostalgic since it was my first one.
5. Yoshi's Island (GBA) is another one I always seem to come back to. Cute story, fun gameplay and is yoshi at it's best. The ending always makes me tear up a little.
4. Mario Kart Super Circuit is an underrated entry in the Mario Kart franchise, it's super unique and has lots of ideas that aren't seen in other Mario Kart games like going on a planet made out of cheese, going through a Shy Guy Village, and even a (sorta) paper mario themed level in the form of a cameo.
3. Sega All Stars Racing Transformed also exists on home consoles, but the game is really top notch racing with cool gimmicks that integrate with the racing gameplay really well. Plus all the little nods to sega history make it really fun entry for those who want to learn more about the company and what they offer.
2. Super Mario 64 DS has been my go to game for vacations and other trips for years. Perfect length, fun gameplay, and incredibly replayable. My only complaint is the characters clearly aren't balanced very well, and unless you don't play as yoshi you will always need to backtrack to the character changing room.
1. Puzzle games that aren't tetris: I could never figure out tetris but I love poyo poyo, bust a move, puzzle league, etc. Fun match color games that I can win at!

tcool123

I gave this it’s own thread but…

Question Of The Day (By Someone Who Dropped Out So Why Am I Even Doing This?):
I Don’t Really Understand This Idea So I’m Curious, How Would You Go About A Music-Centric Park?​
While not me personally back in Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 3 @RMichael21 submitted his concept of a Disney music theme park; mind you this is prior to the releases of such music based films such as Coco and Soul, but still an interesting handle of things:

Unfortunately the concept lost, but hey I can't complain I was the winner ;)

If it were me I'd take a few pages from RM's book, and do lands by groupings. The main entrance would be based on a combination of Silly Symphonies and Fantasia with the park icon being pulled from the Music Land short. Then each land be based on a genre of music: Latin (Coco, Encanto, Three Caballeros, Saludos Amigos), Jazz (Princess and the Frog, Soul, Aristocats), Techno (Tron, Wreck It-Ralph, Big Hero 6) or Rock (Big Hero 6 and ??? maybe Incredibles?) , Pop (Disney Princesses/Queens, cause of the term Queen/Princess of Pop), Broadway/Showtunes (Broadway style land w/ your choice of any of Disney's musicals). This is assuming you want a Disney park of course! If not I would say the best rout was the Hard Rock Park :D

Orange Cat

While not me personally back in Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 3 @RMichael21 submitted his concept of a Disney music theme park; mind you this is prior to the releases of such music based films such as Coco and Soul, but still an interesting handle of things:

If it were me I'd take a few pages from RM's book, and do lands by groupings. The main entrance would be based on a combination of Silly Symphonies and Fantasia with the park icon being pulled from the Music Land short. Then each land be based on a genre of music: Latin (Coco, Encanto, Three Caballeros, Saludos Amigos), Jazz (Princess and the Frog, Soul, Aristocats), Techno (Tron, Wreck It-Ralph, Big Hero 6) or Rock (Big Hero 6 and ??? maybe Incredibles?) , Pop (Disney Princesses/Queens, cause of the term Queen/Princess of Pop), Broadway/Showtunes (Broadway style land w/ your choice of any of Disney's musicals). This is assuming you want a Disney park of course! If not I would say the best rout was the Hard Rock Park :D
Pushing it a bit but that’s a fair approach

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No

Using the Silly Symphonies is genius!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
What do you call a magician that‘s lost his magic? Ian
That just sounds like a way to insult a magician named Ian
1625012921089.png

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
So, I have a phone interview in about an hour, so I decided to practice answering some potential questions. One of these questions was "What do you do in your personal time?" (Unlikely to come up this early, but doesn't hurt to be prepared.)

It was then that I realized that Armchair Imagineering is one of the most difficult to describe hobbies that I could have. Like, how do you explain that to a non-theme park fan?
Lmao, try explaining this to potential employers AND your parents without getting judgy looks (I have my job interviews over Zoom/MS Teams with cameras on so I can definitely see their faces)...

Chaos Cat

Lmao, try explaining this to potential employers AND your parents without getting judgy looks (I have my job interviews over Zoom/MS Teams with cameras on so I can definitely see their faces)...
Thankfully, my dad works at Mission Space (he's a technician, so don't go trying to find him next time your there), so my parents at least know what Imagineering is, which makes it easier to explain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom