So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 13: Get a Clue (Discussion Thread)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Yea, let's get some chatter going on. I've been slacking on questions of the day.

So I've become absolutely freaking OBSESSED with Hamilton lately. It's a historical hip-hop opera focusing on founding father Alexander Hamilton, written and starring Lin-Manuel Miranda who's composing the songs for Moana. I could go on and on about how much I love the soundtrack and all the different layers to the styles of music and the lyrics and thematic high notes that keep getting brought up over and over. A really spectacular production.

It's inspired me to continue writing my adapted musical based on the lyrics of Craig Finn's band "The Hold Steady". Throughout the band's albums they tell a story in non-linear order regarding a group of Irish-Catholic friends who just graduated high school and are getting lost in the drama of relationships and the drug-ridden parties in the Minneapolis underworld. There's a lot of religious imagery I want to work into the show along with the idea of comparing teens migrating from Minneapolis to California to the passing of the red seas. All the songs will be adapted from songs in the band only altered to give lyrics to different characters which fit their established personalities. Right now the first two songs have stage direction already written. Working with a two act outline with 15 songs a piece.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
14 days until @JokersWild and I meet up at Disneyland! This is probably the most exciting trip of my life simply because I'll be staying at a hotel for three nights by myself. It's going to be BRUTAL on my body but I plan on staying until 1 AM when Main Street closes all three nights and go to rope drop once for Disneyland and once for DCA (The first day I'm flying into Anaheim around 1 PM so I won't be able to do a rope drop then obviously) Since I have three days I'm planning on just taking a slow pace and really enjoying myself, not rushing from attraction to attraction and Fastpass to Fastpass (though I'm sure there will be plenty of that as well ;) )

And I can rest easy knowing I don't have to devote three hours to seeing Frozen since neither Jokers or I are inclined to. I will be checking out the new Soarin' which I've gone out of my way to avoid spoilers for. For my money it's the first new Disney attraction that I'm going on where I won't have looked up a video of it beforehand (or even a review for that matter. Monkey and Some Jerk With a Camera both did reviews that I'm not watching until after I've been on it!) It's kind of ironic considering one of my claims to fame is my dislike of Soarin', but it should be fun and interesting going in completely blind.

I'm hoping to get a smart phone before I leave so I can live tweet my drunken escapades after dinner at Trader Sam's the first night ;)

DinoInstitute

14 days until @JokersWild and I meet up at Disneyland! This is probably the most exciting trip of my life simply because I'll be staying at a hotel for three nights by myself. It's going to be BRUTAL on my body but I plan on staying until 1 AM when Main Street closes all three nights and go to rope drop once for Disneyland and once for DCA (The first day I'm flying into Anaheim around 1 PM so I won't be able to do a rope drop then obviously) Since I have three days I'm planning on just taking a slow pace and really enjoying myself, not rushing from attraction to attraction and Fastpass to Fastpass (though I'm sure there will be plenty of that as well ;) )

And I can rest easy knowing I don't have to devote three hours to seeing Frozen since neither Jokers or I are inclined to. I will be checking out the new Soarin' which I've gone out of my way to avoid spoilers for. For my money it's the first new Disney attraction that I'm going on where I won't have looked up a video of it beforehand (or even a review for that matter. Monkey and Some Jerk With a Camera both did reviews that I'm not watching until after I've been on it!) It's kind of ironic considering one of my claims to fame is my dislike of Soarin', but it should be fun and interesting going in completely blind.

I'm hoping to get a smart phone before I leave so I can live tweet my drunken escapades after dinner at Trader Sam's the first night ;)
Have a great time!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'd just like to acknowledge how happy I am that everyone is so enthusiastic about the S.E.A. stuff this project. Using S.E.A. as the basis for the season was a bit of a risk if not enough people were up to speed on the mythology, but the whole cast is really embracing working with the characters and mythology. While not every project will revolve around S.E.A., there will be larger scale projects to come involving them in the future and they'll certainly weave their way through the narrative of the murder mystery storyline.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'd just like to acknowledge how happy I am that everyone is so enthusiastic about the S.E.A. stuff this project. Using S.E.A. as the basis for the season was a bit of a risk if not enough people were up to speed on the mythology, but the whole cast is really embracing working with the characters and mythology. While not every project will revolve around S.E.A., there will be larger scale projects to come involving them in the future and they'll certainly weave their way through the narrative of the murder mystery storyline.
I'd definitely make it a goal to gear the competition towards this genre rather than the horror. I will openly admit I'm not a horror fan so topics like the previous prompt don't interest me in the slightest. I think you would much better off going this route...of Disney story lore.

Just my opinion.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'd definitely make it a goal to gear the competition towards this genre rather than the horror. I will openly admit I'm not a horror fan so topics like the previous prompt don't interest me in the slightest. I think you would much better off going this route...of Disney story lore.

Just my opinion.

The project list is already locked into place, but the theme is more supernatural. Project One was one of the only straight "horror" based projects. Star Wars Villains is coming up soon which I know you'll be into. We've also got two really cool Haunted Mansion projects in the pipeline as well as Breaking Bad which is in the crime thriller genre more than anything else. Don't want to give away too much but I think the project list we have is varied enough that there will be something for everyone. I always aim to make the projects of any given season play to certain people's strengths and play against other people's weaknesses, it's all part of the challenge! And research is definitely an element of SYWTBAI that I've always stressed the importance of.

spacemt354

Chili's
The project list is already locked into place, but the theme is more supernatural. Project One was one of the only straight "horror" based projects. Star Wars Villains is coming up soon which I know you'll be into. We've also got two really cool Haunted Mansion projects in the pipeline as well as Breaking Bad which is in the crime thriller genre more than anything else. Don't want to give away too much but I think the project list we have is varied enough that there will be something for everyone. I always aim to make the projects of any given season play to certain people's strengths and play against other people's weaknesses, it's all part of the challenge! And research is definitely an element of SYWTBAI that I've always stressed the importance of.
It's part of the challenge but I think you'll get more activity with less niche based projects and more things geared towards general knowledge stuff.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
It's part of the challenge but I think you'll get more activity with less niche based projects and more things geared towards general knowledge stuff.

Well we've advertised this season from the beginning as having the overall supernatural theme when it comes to the projects so I don't think anyone's getting into anything they didn't already know they were signing up for. I think most of the prompts are less niche and more based around certain people's strengths. @FigmentPigments is rocking the prompt this round as a big S.E.A. fan. I'm sure you'll be super active during the Star Wars Villains round, and no doubt @DSquared will have something special cooked up when it comes to Gravity Falls.

FigmentPigments

Well we've advertised this season from the beginning as having the overall supernatural theme when it comes to the projects so I don't think anyone's getting into anything they didn't already know they were signing up for. I think most of the prompts are less niche and more based around certain people's strengths. @FigmentPigments is rocking the prompt this round as a big S.E.A. fan. I'm sure you'll be super active during the Star Wars Villains round, and no doubt @DSquared will have something special cooked up when it comes to Gravity Falls.
I couldn't wait for the SEA challenges. It's such an underappreciated storyline. Although the Haunted Mansion challenges will be a close second.

DinoInstitute

We still got 296 pages to go, let's get this discussion thread poppin! :p

To get things going, I have a question/dilema similar to like what @RMichael21 was trying to decide...Later in the month, as I drive down along the coast to WPB, I'm going to stop and stay at Disney for a night. I'm going to be staying at BLT, but that's the extent to what I have planned :p Any suggestions as to what parks I should do?

Flippin'Flounder

We still got 296 pages to go, let's get this discussion thread poppin! :p

To get things going, I have a question/dilema similar to like what @RMichael21 was trying to decide...Later in the month, as I drive down along the coast to WPB, I'm going to stop and stay at Disney for a night. I'm going to be staying at BLT, but that's the extent to what I have planned :p Any suggestions as to what parks I should do?
If your only going for a day, MK, just because it has the most to do. But then again, Epcot has lots of new things to try out.

DinoInstitute

If your only going for a day, MK, just because it has the most to do. But then again, Epcot has lots of new things to try out.
Eh, kind of a day and a half as I'm arriving the middle of the first day. I'm thinking maybe go to MK the first day for the night because it's right by my hotel, and then Epcot the next, but I also wanna see nighttime DAK. Plus, my family really wants to go to DHS, for some reason :rolleyes::p;)

FigmentPigments

Eh, kind of a day and a half as I'm arriving the middle of the first day. I'm thinking maybe go to MK the first day for the night because it's right by my hotel, and then Epcot the next, but I also wanna see nighttime DAK. Plus, my family really wants to go to DHS, for some reason :rolleyes::p;)
I would always choose AK. It's by far my favorite park. Maybe do a park hopper. Spend the morning at DHS and the night at AK. That's what I did on my day off as a CP, although at the time there was no nighttime at AK so I would spend the mornings at AK then hop over to DHS to see Fantasmic. Seriously, that was my perfect day right there.

spacemt354

Chili's
You could always just do 4 parks in one day, then you don't have to make a decision:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom