So why weren't there many strollers back in the day?

Goofyernmost

Do you really think people take much younger children now than before? I don't know, I went at age 2 with my grandparents and mother, and that was in the mid-seventies. I'm pretty sure people have always taken small children.

I don't begrudge people with very young children using strollers...BUT there is such a thing as a ridiculously huge stroller and I do wish people wouldn't take those to the parks. What happened to the little umbrella strollers? I know it's a theme park full of children but there is such a thing as consideration for others, and it's pretty selfish to take an SUV-sized pram into a crowded park and onto Disney property buses, where you're basically taking up the space of five people with that giant stroller.

For the record, I have no problem with putting a small child in a harness. I don't know why they're so frowned-upon.
Without a doubt I think that there are more younger now. I never went until 1983 and there were very few small children and very few strollers. That doesn't mean there were none at all. But, it seemed that everyone I knew waited until the child could actually get something out of it. Many more now use the argument that I loved seeing the reaction my 1 year old had to the bright lights. One could do that at home with a flashlight. Kids are easily amused at that age. That is the main reason why in my era it wasn't worth the effort to bring infants, toddlers still in diapers, kids in between that still didn't eat regular food or where on the bottle or b reast. They got nothing really out of it and the parents had just had a few more things that they had to do to complete the fatigue factor. We just felt it wasn't worth it and had a terrific time later when we all could equally enjoy the experience. But, like we have said over and over... whatever floats ones boat. I am not bothered by strollers and I don't have to change diapers on a public bench or a table in a quick service restaurant so personally I don't really care. I'm just expressing what worked for me and why. Of course we also have to take into consideration that back then it wasn't considered a right of passage. We went to WDW because we wanted too, not because the neighbor took their kids. I missed that joyous time span.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think parents just use the strollers because it makes things easier for them. No kids asking to be carried, you can jam a massive bag into or onto the stroller, etc.. and if the kids pass out at night you can stay on in the parks with a child slumped in the stroller. As someone else said, there's this horrible need now to "do everything" and not miss out. So, easier to shove your kids in a double stroller so you don't need to leave the park when they get too tired.

I detest strollers at the parks.
Here’s my take on leaving the parks when the kids are too tired. For a lot of people Disney is a family vacation. A family vacation is supposed to be enjoyable for the whole family (including even the parents). The family is made up of more than just the youngest child. If you have an older kid or 2 and your youngest falls asleep in the stroller at night it allows the rest of the family to continue enjoying their time. Sleeping in the stroller is not harming the younger kid at all. Everyone stays happy. Kids need to learn at a young age that it’s not always about them. Sometimes they get dragged places the rest of the family wants to go. They learn to take one for the team.

I don't begrudge people with very young children using strollers...BUT there is such a thing as a ridiculously huge stroller and I do wish people wouldn't take those to the parks. What happened to the little umbrella strollers? I know it's a theme park full of children but there is such a thing as consideration for others, and it's pretty selfish to take an SUV-sized pram into a crowded park and onto Disney property buses, where you're basically taking up the space of five people with that giant stroller.

For the record, I have no problem with putting a small child in a harness. I don't know why they're so frowned-upon.
100% agree on stroller size. I blame Disney for this. They need to consider making a rule defining stroller size. People may still break the rule but it would cut down on some of those monster strollers.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't want it to be a big argument as there are people on either side of the debate who are strong willed about it. .............

.... Is it just more families, lazier kids, enabling parents, a younger crowd than years gone by?

My youngest is your age. Her first trip at 2 months old. We had her in a simple umbrella stroller on her first trip in the park. I wasn't going to hold her all day. My son was almost 5 and in Epcot we rented a stroller. If AK existed back then I would have rented one for that park too. I rented strollers until my youngest was 4.5 and most of the time it was parked near where we were by then. I'd rather rent the stroller than carry a kid around Disney Parks. I don't believe children are any lazier or I was an enabling parent in 1988 or 1992 when each of my kids had their first trips, my oldest first trip he was 14 months. They went annually for 2 weeks.

This is why parents bring strollers!
DQlGBPbXcAIOrzJ.jpg

Children have much shorter strides than their parents. Can you imagine what their Fitbit would read?

Disney Strollers were smaller when my kids were small, half the width of most strollers today, at the studio they were umbrella strollers-heavy duty. It was $5 a day for the first kids $6 for the second kid. We rented aside from the umbrella when they were very small as it fit nicely in the bus seats with us. I've been going to the parks since it opened. There was one park and families didn't become exhausted because it was a one day park with far less attractions. As the WDW became a 1, 2 (and 3 week for some over the pond) Children and parents now become physically tired as the days go on. What my kid could do on day one at 4 she couldn't do on day 10 in the heat and humidity in Epcot. Disney Changed not the parents, not the children. Yes there are exceptions but there were plenty of strollers rented everyday by Disney a sea of chrome and blue, they just didn't take the imprint that the tank strollers do in this millennium. And that is Disney's fault. My generation rented strollers for the most part, they were cheap and then Disney was able to keep them off the buses, monorails, trams. But Disney became greedy and the cost of renting strollers became absurd as you could buy one for a week, have it delivered by Amazon and leave it behind cheaper then Disney rental prices, same goes for stroller rental companies. So because of not keeping the stroller prices a fair price per day rental Disney now must contend with huge strollers in the parks and strollers on their transportation. They could fix this if they cared to. They just don't care to.

The same goes for all the off site ADA carts. It is cost prohibited to rent these from Disney now so people rent them and have them delivered. Disney always had free wheelchairs at bus drop offs and you could take them to wheelchair/cart rental. A solution for this is out there too if Disney would keep their prices at an acceptable level. They opt not to so the guests contend with a line of Carts waiting to board Disney Transportation.

So no, I don't think it is about lazy children or enabling parents. It is when greed trumps function of WDW.

J_Carioca

You mean a leash? Prob cause they are for dogs, typically.

As a previous poster mentioned, they're intended to prevent very young children from darting off into potential danger. The intention is good and I doubt that the average two-year-old in a harness feels offended and as though they're being likened to a dog. I understand that one needs to teach children to obey vocal instructions (i.e. not simply be restrained), but I wouldn't judge anyone who uses a harness at a place like Disney or another excessively crowded place.

And by the way, the reason most people have dogs on a leash is because they care about them and want to prevent them running into harm as well.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As a previous poster mentioned, they're intended to prevent very young children from darting off into potential danger. The intention is good and I doubt that the average two-year-old in a harness feels offended and as though they're being likened to a dog. I understand that one needs to teach children to obey vocal instructions (i.e. not simply be restrained), but I wouldn't judge anyone who uses a harness at a place like Disney or another excessively crowded place.

And by the way, the reason most people have dogs on a leash is because they care about them and want to prevent them running into harm as well.

Sounds good to me. I just told you why they were frowned upon. Leashes are usually for dogs. Kids are not dogs. So, when you use a leash for a kid, it sorta has a crossover thing happening that not everyone thinks is copacetic.

jloucks

I think you just agreed with the dog comment.

I never used a pet leash on my kids. I thought about it sure, but I opted for strollers or a combination of super close supervision and avoided places that would require a leash for safety reasons.

I am a bit of a hypocrite tho, because I on occasion had little trackers installed on my kids so that if they did wander too far off, an alarm would sound and I could track them on a little wand. Almost exactly like you track bobcats.

Fankle

Folk are having kids later these days too. We had kids in our mid 20s (earlier than most of our contemporaries). We had less established careers then so less free cash to spend on expensive Disney holidays. We debated about hiring a Disney stroller for our first trip (when our youngest was three) but it didn't get used much. When he was tired we carried him or put him on our shoulders. That was fine in our twenties, ten years on (and one bad back later) there's no way we could have done the same.

Goofyernmost

Yea, but, what kind of fool would want to do the same thing for a child. You can always make another one. I think people have a vision that it was like a collar around the neck when it was closer to being a backpack type design. My sister, who is very intelligent, btw, used to be off like a shot especially in a crowd. I cannot tell you how many times my parents went into a panic when attending crowded events. It didn't matter how many times she was counseled on the dangers of running off. In fact, I went to Europe a couple of years ago and she did the same thing. She would completely forget that she was with someone else and just head off to a target forgetting that others were involved. She is alive today because of that evil (dog compared) harness. This is one of the many cases where unless one has been there one doesn't know how simple little solutions like this have allowed kids to grow up live to make a trip to Europe when they are in their 60's.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Much depends on the kids. When my youngest was 8 we went and did not take a stroller. Day 3 she just plumb gave out. Sat down for about 3 minutes, turned to look because she was uncharacteristically quiet, and she was out cold. She definitely wasn't lazy, just tuckered out. To be fair we'd been up for extra early morning hours in the parks 2 of the 3 days and stayed late for extra hours 1 of them on top of trying to keep up with my spouse's much longer strides during all those hours. She's short like me and it does wear on one.

Not sure what you are doing in the parks that you were sitting half the time as we have definitely never experienced that in Disney. More like hours of standing in lines or walking around punctuated with the short periods one sits on the actual ride. Surely you can't be on the actual rides more than 3-5 minutes at a time? Or maybe it just seemed that short. If you'd care to elaborate what you're doing that allows you to remain seated for half your days in the parks I would very much love to hear it. That is not meant as a smart remark, either. I'm really serious. Please share your secret. Last time we had five days in Disney and I visibly wore down the soles of my hiking boots. I've actually been preparing for this trip already by using a stand up desk at work instead of sitting because I really do not remember much sitting at all on any of our days in the parks.
Much depends on the kids. When my youngest was 8 we went and did not take a stroller. Day 3 she just plumb gave out. Sat down for about 3 minutes, turned to look because she was uncharacteristically quiet, and she was out cold. She definitely wasn't lazy, just tuckered out. To be fair we'd been up for extra early morning hours in the parks 2 of the 3 days and stayed late for extra hours 1 of them on top of trying to keep up with my spouse's much longer strides during all those hours. She's short like me and it does wear on one.

Not sure what you are doing in the parks that you were sitting half the time as we have definitely never experienced that in Disney. More like hours of standing in lines or walking around punctuated with the short periods one sits on the actual ride. Surely you can't be on the actual rides more than 3-5 minutes at a time? Or maybe it just seemed that short. If you'd care to elaborate what you're doing that allows you to remain seated for half your days in the parks I would very much love to hear it. That is not meant as a smart remark, either. I'm really serious. Please share your secret. Last time we had five days in Disney and I visibly wore down the soles of my hiking boots. I've actually been preparing for this trip already by using a stand up desk at work instead of sitting because I really do not remember much sitting at all on any of our days in the parks.

Stuff like Small World is 10-12 minutes long. Hall of Presidents is 22 minutes. Carousel of Progress is 20 minutes. The Peoplemover is a long ride. Pirates, Haunted Mansion are longer. Jungle Cruise, Tiki Birds, etc. Lots of time where you are sitting down, you just have to spread it out. Granted my feet hurt at the end of the day like anyone else though.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
You are entitled to your opinion, but I think the vast majority of people would agree there is nothing wrong with a 3 year old kid in a stroller at WDW. The debate is generally around older kids.

3 is fine, I can understand that. There are actually strollers that fit three year olds. I wouldn't have bothered with our three year old just because she is light and if needed be can be carried. It was our infant that I had it for.

Parrain

We brought the stroller til my youngest was 7 or 8. She is 18 now. Our stroller was AWESOME! It was an umbrella stroller, with 8 (4 sets of 2) wheels, that swiveled! It folded very thin, could be pushed with a finger, and had a canvas platform underneath! It was used as a seat for her during parades and such, but more often as a place to put our collapsible cooler in the bottom, hang the purse and bags off the hooks under the umbrella handles, and stash other items in front of the cooler out of sight! It folded with a quick flip of the wrist and weighed maybe 2-3 lbs! We still have it, but the foam is dried out on the handles😪. I miss the thing because of the convenience, one of the best purchases we made for our trips to WDW! We didn't stop bringing it until my daughter could no longer fit in it.
On the flip side, My brother in law has a young family, and they actually need a stroller. They went the other route. There stroller is a very expensive brand, has a fan, retractable roof, an adult can sit in it with no ill effect, it can carry as much as you can stack on it, weighs more than my daughters beetle, barely fits in their SUV... and my brother is on his second one. He became so angry trying to fold it while boarding the ferry to the Grand Flo at park close during our last summer trip, he threw the darn thing into the 7 Seas Lagoon 😂!!! He completely lost his mind, pulling and pushing and swinging and grunting and sweating... he looked like the Tasmanian Devil for a moment! The captain just looked at him, turned and acted like nothing happened! My Sister in law made him buy another😂! He was beside himself! The entire ferry hurt ourselves laughing! I have no idea of the final fate of that stroller, but the guys on the boat were like 😳"We'll just keep moving along now, nothing to see here, kids!"
But, it seems to have worked out; he did get out of stroller duty... permanently.

Minnesota disney fan

We brought the stroller til my youngest was 7 or 8. She is 18 now. Our stroller was AWESOME! It was an umbrella stroller, with 8 (4 sets of 2) wheels, that swiveled! It folded very thin, could be pushed with a finger, and had a canvas platform underneath! It was used as a seat for her during parades and such, but more often as a place to put our collapsible cooler in the bottom, hang the purse and bags off the hooks under the umbrella handles, and stash other items in front of the cooler out of sight! It folded with a quick flip of the wrist and weighed maybe 2-3 lbs! We still have it, but the foam is dried out on the handles😪. I miss the thing because of the convenience, one of the best purchases we made for our trips to WDW! We didn't stop bringing it until my daughter could no longer fit in it.
On the flip side, My brother in law has a young family, and they actually need a stroller. They went the other route. There stroller is a very expensive brand, has a fan, retractable roof, an adult can sit in it with no ill effect, it can carry as much as you can stack on it, weighs more than my daughters beetle, barely fits in their SUV... and my brother is on his second one. He became so angry trying to fold it while boarding the ferry to the Grand Flo at park close during our last summer trip, he threw the darn thing into the 7 Seas Lagoon 😂!!! He completely lost his mind, pulling and pushing and swinging and grunting and sweating... he looked like the Tasmanian Devil for a moment! The captain just looked at him, turned and acted like nothing happened! My Sister in law made him buy another😂! He was beside himself! The entire ferry hurt ourselves laughing! I have no idea of the final fate of that stroller, but the guys on the boat were like 😳"We'll just keep moving along now, nothing to see here, kids!"
But, it seems to have worked out; he did get out of stroller duty... permanently.

LOL, LOL, so funny! I see guys like that on every trip. Usually they wait til they are about to board and then try to fold it up!
thanks for the laugh.

Tk0021

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the same sort of guilt which comes from relying on a phone, tablet, school, or the government to "raise" their children instead getting off of their lazy and self-interested, self-consumed behinds. :eek:

What does using a stroller at the park have anything to do with the other things that you mention? Why is it lazy? What does it have to do with being self-interested and self-consumed. You assume a lot with that statement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom