So why weren't there many strollers back in the day?

Tom P.

It's possible -- just possible, mind you -- that everyone is different. And that what works for one family -- or worked for a family years ago -- may not work for another family. And it's also possible that neither is right or wrong, just different. A revolutionary idea, I know, but there it is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When I was a kid, my first visit in 84' was 3 days and 2 nights. My crazy yankee parents almost literally ran us (and our then 3 year old sister) around the parks all day without any sort of midday break or very many stops to rest. Guess what? We had a great time -and we didn't die. Yes, the 3 year old had a stroller, but also spent a lot of time on my fathers shoulders. Moral of the story -it's silly to think school-aged children need, want, or will have a better time when cooped up in a lazy-mobile. Carry on cupcakes. :cool:
I can’t speak for anyone else’s kids. The last time my kids used a stroller was when my youngest was 3 and his 6 year old brother rode in the stroller some that trip too. He didn’t need it but we had it for his brother so he used it occasionally when the 3 year old was walking. If you happened to see him on that trip you probably judged him as being too old for a stroller, but it wasn’t really his stroller. It’s not always black and white when judging someone on a moment in time. When the youngest was 5 he wanted no parts of a stroller. I don’t judge anyone else for using a stroller longer than that or for not using one at all. Who am I to judge what’s good for other people’s kids.

The point @Alice a was making is that WDW is much larger now. In your example, you had no problem doing it for 3 days, 2 nights but many people visit for much longer than that now in order to see all the parks plus possibly Universal or other area attractions. Maybe some of the “cupcakes” you see in strollers today would also be fine walking for just 3 days but are on the 6th or 7th day of their vacation (or 14th if they are European) going rope drop to park close. Some may just be lazy or spoiled kids. Who knows which is which based on a momentary interaction. Now you can make an argument that maybe people should just do a little less and move at a slower pace so their kids can keep up but in my opinion that’s an individual choice. It’s also shaped by the sheer volume of things to do with 4 parks, the heavily scheduled nature or a trip to WDW today with FP reservations and ADRs and the high prices which push people to do more.

DancingPhoenix

I just want to give my mom a shout out for carrying a 6 month old me in a baby bjorn on her front while at WDW with my 3 year old brother and 10 and 13 year old half siblings. I was a happy baby but still!

drizgirl

I just want to give my mom a shout out for carrying a 6 month old me in a baby bjorn on her front while at WDW with my 3 year old brother and 10 and 13 year old half siblings. I was a happy baby but still!
If she went in the heat of the summer and walked around with you strapped to her body, then I bow to her greatness.

DisneyFans4Life

One of the funny things about discussion forums is that no matter how impersonal they have to be due to the numbers of people reading them someone will always decide that you are talking directly to them. The problem isn't with the people that have a legitimate need for a stroller, but, like scooters it's the unnecessary usage that creates the bottle necks and the navigational problems. You have a 4 year old and a 9 month old, of course you have a legit need for a stroller and in a way you are doing the crowd a service by not having an easily distracted young person putting themselves in harms way every few minutes. So it makes me wonder why, under those conditions you would even feel a need to respond. It didn't even apply to you or anyone else in your situation. Preteens in a stroller or kids walking and piles of unnecessary packages or things brought from home filling one up is not very thoughtful and is self centered. They may not think that they are causing any problems with traffic flow or space, but, they are and that is more what the upset is about.

It does bewilder me how people with older children cannot seem to move an inch without every single thing they own (yes, I know.. an exaggeration) with them. My first visit to WDW was with my wife, myself and my 6 and 9 year old daughters. No stroller, we walked all day long. I had just my regular pockets in my shorts and my wife had a small purse... my girls carried nothing. We made it though each day with no needs or problems. It made being there so much easier and enjoyable to not have to be pushing things around, finding a place to put them so we could take in a ride or attraction, not worry about covering things up that we didn't want stolen and worrying about whether or not the stroller would still be there when we got back. It was a whole lot less stressful to just think, if I need something that bad, I'll just buy it. But, that is me and doesn't necessarily apply to everyone
I decided to respond because, as you said, it's a discussion forum and I want to remind others that there are still reasons why strollers are necessary in the parks. Even when my 4 year old is older...I'll still have a younger child who will need to ride (think she's 5 and 8 or even 6 and 9). Is a 9 year old too old for a stroller...probably...but when the 6 year old still needs it...I might as well use the double stroller...if not for the older child...then at least for backpacks and other things.

FWIW...we went to MK for a couple hours today without the stroller and it was a nightmare. The 9 month old was in the baby carrier...but my 4 year old got worn out pretty quick and all I ended up hearing was "hold me" every 20 minutes. Remind me not to do that again!

Goofyernmost

I decided to respond because, as you said, it's a discussion forum and I want to remind others that there are still reasons why strollers are necessary in the parks. Even when my 4 year old is older...I'll still have a younger child who will need to ride (think she's 5 and 8 or even 6 and 9). Is a 9 year old too old for a stroller...probably...but when the 6 year old still needs it...I might as well use the double stroller...if not for the older child...then at least for backpacks and other things.

FWIW...we went to MK for a couple hours today without the stroller and it was a nightmare. The 9 month old was in the baby carrier...but my 4 year old got worn out pretty quick and all I ended up hearing was "hold me" every 20 minutes. Remind me not to do that again!
OK, then I apologize, it was just that it sounded like you were defending yourself and you really didn't have too. But, just for comparison my two daughters were 6 and 9 and it never even occurred to us that a stroller was necessary.

Everyone is different, but, they never complained or even felt that it was wrong. It just was never even an issue in the early 80's. If the child is healthy with no disabilities then I see no reason why they cannot walk with their parents. My kids used to occasionally whine about how tired they were, but, get them back to the hotel and say who would like to go to the pool and see how much energy they still have. We do have kids that are overweight and I think that this delicate flower way of looking at kids that are actually more able then their parents to be walking, along with the fact that fear of outdoor time and stationary sitting in front of the wide screen TV playing video games has contributed hugely to that problem. I hesitate to call it bad parenting as much as a fault with today's society in general. This is just my opinion and others just need to do what they feel is best. I have never once judged anyone concerning strollers or have even paid attention to what was in them be it a teenager, small child or large bag of overpriced souvenirs.

WDWMPrincess

I don't want it to be a big argument as there are people on either side of the debate who are strong willed about it. But we'll stick with strollers because in my opinion a lot of the debate about scooters is that we've gotten fatter and lazier over time and it has become normal (yes there are genuinely handicapped people who need it today and in 1971 of course). But let's keep it to strollers.

Old pictures pop up and just like today there were kids at WDW. I went in 1991 but was old enough to be out of a stroller (I was 10). I know full well there were kids when I went too. Families and such were all around us. But looking at old pictures not only is the park less busy, there are clearly tons of less strollers. So what do you think changed? To me it is kids being as lazy and obese as they have ever been and parents being as lenient as they've ever been. Which is a bad combo. We went in November 2017. My kids were 6, 3, 18 months. The only one who was in the stroller was the 18 month old. Our three year old is pretty light and at the end of the night she just slept in my arms for the final hour (even through Haunted Mansion). So if we didn't have our 18 month old there would be no stroller at all for us. Our kids can walk just fine. Plus it is a nuisance parking it and un-buckling a toddler over and over.

We probably are going in October of this year. This means my kids will be 7, 4 and 2 and a half years old. Chances are I am going to go without the stroller (there are other family members who will likely stay back at the resort and gladly take the youngest for the day). Even with her though, I am thinking of going without it. It likely won't be needed. She'll be bigger by then, that's 7 months. It was such a pain in the neck getting the stroller collapsed and up into the tram taking us back to our car.

Anyway, that is my take, so what is your take? Without getting into a battle with each other, what is the main cause for the spike in strollers in the parks? Is it just more families, lazier kids, enabling parents, a younger crowd than years gone by?

I'm new to this forum so all I have is my experience. Wondering are you certain those old photos you speak of weren't staged? Definitely at least as far back as the late 70s you could rent a stroller in the park, and some folks did. My youngest siblings were in umbrella strollers when we were there then and they definitely weren't the only kids there in umbrella strollers. We've got a picture of the line at Peter Pan with a whole row of people with kids in umbrella strollers. I don't recall seeing many larger or rented strollers, though.

Returned to the parks in the mid - 90s and again in 2002 with my own children. Lots more of those heavy duty larger strollers, loads more rented strollers, and yup saw kids in umbrella strollers. In my memory I noticed a lot more when my own youngest was in one in the 90s but that may just be confirmation bias as I didn't have anyone in a stroller in 2002 so I didn't notice kids in strollers as much.

Also whereas folks were parking the heavy duty strollers in the provided stroller parking, people with umbrella strollers normally did as we did. Just close it up and take it on the ride with you. Most of the rides for the youngest set could accommodate. Twice saw someone come off a ride to find their rental stroller gone, not because anyone intended to steal it, but because they were all identical. Very easy to take the wrong one.

What I notice it seems to me there are a LOT more very young children in the parks now. Personally I'd never take a child under 8-9 years old in without an umbrella stroller unless I planned on a long afternoon nap break and was staying in the park. If you want to know why take a walk beside someone twice your height. My spouse is almost twice my height - yup, I'm short - and it wears me out to try to keep up if he walks his normal pace. I don't think there is anything lazy about someone with legs half the length of yours or less not wanting to leg it all over acres and acres of park all day long trying to keep up with you.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I'm new to this forum so all I have is my experience. Wondering are you certain those old photos you speak of weren't staged? Definitely at least as far back as the late 70s you could rent a stroller in the park, and some folks did. My youngest siblings were in umbrella strollers when we were there then and they definitely weren't the only kids there in umbrella strollers. We've got a picture of the line at Peter Pan with a whole row of people with kids in umbrella strollers. I don't recall seeing many larger or rented strollers, though.

Returned to the parks in the mid - 90s and again in 2002 with my own children. Lots more of those heavy duty larger strollers, loads more rented strollers, and yup saw kids in umbrella strollers. In my memory I noticed a lot more when my own youngest was in one in the 90s but that may just be confirmation bias as I didn't have anyone in a stroller in 2002 so I didn't notice kids in strollers as much.

Also whereas folks were parking the heavy duty strollers in the provided stroller parking, people with umbrella strollers normally did as we did. Just close it up and take it on the ride with you. Most of the rides for the youngest set could accommodate. Twice saw someone come off a ride to find their rental stroller gone, not because anyone intended to steal it, but because they were all identical. Very easy to take the wrong one.

What I notice it seems to me there are a LOT more very young children in the parks now. Personally I'd never take a child under 8-9 years old in without an umbrella stroller unless I planned on a long afternoon nap break and was staying in the park. If you want to know why take a walk beside someone twice your height. My spouse is almost twice my height - yup, I'm short - and it wears me out to try to keep up if he walks his normal pace. I don't think there is anything lazy about someone with legs half the length of yours or less not wanting to leg it all over acres and acres of park all day long trying to keep up with you.

8 or 9 you say? Yeah, I just can't imagine that. I have no memories of being in a stroller but I would have at 8. I was just never in one at that age. Kids can walk. They have the energy. Our middle child was 3 and the only reason we had a stroller was for her younger sister. I would have never had one for her if she was the youngest. She walked all day with us and when necessary, she got carried. You are sitting down half the time so I never saw a problem with it and she wasn't tired until nighttime anyway.

As for the old photos, no, they are just random photos of people. That is the one thing I notice is that there are less strollers. Those are genuine photos. People on this thread have covered the reasons why there are more strollers. Possibly younger crowds, lazier kids, more enabling parents, bigger strollers in general that take up more space, etc.

WDWMPrincess

8 or 9 you say? Yeah, I just can't imagine that. I have no memories of being in a stroller but I would have at 8. I was just never in one at that age. Kids can walk. They have the energy. Our middle child was 3 and the only reason we had a stroller was for her younger sister. I would have never had one for her if she was the youngest. She walked all day with us and when necessary, she got carried. You are sitting down half the time so I never saw a problem with it and she wasn't tired until nighttime anyway.

As for the old photos, no, they are just random photos of people. That is the one thing I notice is that there are less strollers. Those are genuine photos. People on this thread have covered the reasons why there are more strollers. Possibly younger crowds, lazier kids, more enabling parents, bigger strollers in general that take up more space, etc.

Much depends on the kids. When my youngest was 8 we went and did not take a stroller. Day 3 she just plumb gave out. Sat down for about 3 minutes, turned to look because she was uncharacteristically quiet, and she was out cold. She definitely wasn't lazy, just tuckered out. To be fair we'd been up for extra early morning hours in the parks 2 of the 3 days and stayed late for extra hours 1 of them on top of trying to keep up with my spouse's much longer strides during all those hours. She's short like me and it does wear on one.

Not sure what you are doing in the parks that you were sitting half the time as we have definitely never experienced that in Disney. More like hours of standing in lines or walking around punctuated with the short periods one sits on the actual ride. Surely you can't be on the actual rides more than 3-5 minutes at a time? Or maybe it just seemed that short. If you'd care to elaborate what you're doing that allows you to remain seated for half your days in the parks I would very much love to hear it. That is not meant as a smart remark, either. I'm really serious. Please share your secret. Last time we had five days in Disney and I visibly wore down the soles of my hiking boots. I've actually been preparing for this trip already by using a stand up desk at work instead of sitting because I really do not remember much sitting at all on any of our days in the parks.

Starlight67

It's interesting looking back at those old 1970's photos/videos--there's just LESS stuff in general around the people walking around. There's actually people walking around with NOTHING slung over their backs or looped around their arms. And any strollers seem to just have a kid in them (not a kid surrounded by enough items to fill a checked bag at the airport.)

Fast forward to now. There are exceptions of course, some people still carry nothing. But backpacks slung over guests shoulders seems to be the norm. I have one I use in the parks too. It's a small one, but still, it's there. It's not all that uncommon to see pocketbooks the size of beach bags. And of course there's the increased size of the strollers. Add to this the scooters. That's a lot of STUFF taking up space in the parks!

I'm not sure what changed, and why we became a society that likes to tote around a bunch of stuff. And this is just another random observation that I think this was already mentioned, but I am not sure when we became such a thirsty society either. Cup holders in everything, bottled water tucked in mesh pockets in the sides of backpacks. A whole product developed just to carry bottled water! This is me too, in almost every recent picture of me at Disney I have a water, coffee or soda in my hand. Not just Disney, I always have one of these drinks on my desk at work too...it's just weird. Clearly no one can be that thirsty, and it's rare that I actually finish these drinks. I don't remember having a drink with my ALL the time when I was a teen and young adult. Not sure that bottled water was even a thing back then. Pretty sure we just drank water from the tap. At any rate, I know bottled water didn't take up a whole aisle of the grocery store back then.

At least the days of the video cameras the size of a breadbox are long gone. I do remember seeing those quite often in the parks in the 90's.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think the vast majority of people would agree there is nothing wrong with a 3 year old kid in a stroller at WDW. The debate is generally around older kids.

OneofThree

It's interesting looking back at those old 1970's photos/videos--there's just LESS stuff in general around the people walking around. There's actually people walking around with NOTHING slung over their backs or looped around their arms. There are exceptions of course, some people still carry nothing. But backpacks slung over guests shoulders seems to be the norm.

Maybe it's something in the food or water, possibly GMO's? Whatever the case, there seems to be some sort of alteration to the human genome wherein the millennials and their offspring now emerge from the womb with complete with said backpack.
1522072113841.png

Last edited:

J_Carioca

I think parents just use the strollers because it makes things easier for them. No kids asking to be carried, you can jam a massive bag into or onto the stroller, etc.. and if the kids pass out at night you can stay on in the parks with a child slumped in the stroller. As someone else said, there's this horrible need now to "do everything" and not miss out. So, easier to shove your kids in a double stroller so you don't need to leave the park when they get too tired.

I detest strollers at the parks.

Goofyernmost

I think parents just use the strollers because it makes things easier for them. No kids asking to be carried, you can jam a massive bag into or onto the stroller, etc.. and if the kids pass out at night you can stay on in the parks with a child slumped in the stroller. As someone else said, there's this horrible need now to "do everything" and not miss out. So, easier to shove your kids in a double stroller so you don't need to leave the park when they get too tired.

I detest strollers at the parks.
That is true, but, it is also an affect of the fact that people bring much younger children to the parks then they once did. Strollers are an absolute necessity if you have kids 5 and under otherwise those miles you have to walk now have you carrying a sleeping or dead weight child. No picnic at all. Again the whole upset should be about those that are healthy, 6 years old and above becoming lazy little blobs of fat because they haven't, as of yet, flexed enough muscles to burn off the 8 snacks plus meals a day. There are many reasons that use of a stroller is actually a help to those that don't need one. There is the stigma associated with using a child harness to keep a child that is prone to just take off in a crowd with you, is now looked upon as a mortal sin by those that have never had that happen. So they use a stroller. Perfectly legit! However, most of the complaining comes from people that don't have young children with them or don't have children at all. It's not going to change anytime soon anyway, so we might as well just look the other way and try to find something else to concentrate on in a theme park that has about a zillion other things to concentrate on.

J_Carioca

That is true, but, it is also an affect of the fact that people bring much younger children to the parks then they once did. Strollers are an absolute necessity if you have kids 5 and under otherwise those miles you have to walk now have you carrying a sleeping or dead weight child. No picnic at all. Again the whole upset should be about those that are healthy, 6 years old and above becoming lazy little blobs of fat because they haven't, as of yet, flexed enough muscles to burn off the 8 snacks plus meals a day. There are many reasons that use of a stroller is actually a help to those that don't need one. There is the stigma associated with using a child harness to keep a child that is prone to just take off in a crowd with you, is now looked upon as a mortal sin by those that have never had that happen. So they use a stroller. Perfectly legit! However, most of the complaining comes from people that don't have young children with them or don't have children at all. It's not going to change anytime soon anyway, so we might as well just look the other way and try to find something else to concentrate on in a theme park that has about a zillion other things to concentrate on.

Do you really think people take much younger children now than before? I don't know, I went at age 2 with my grandparents and mother, and that was in the mid-seventies. I'm pretty sure people have always taken small children.

I don't begrudge people with very young children using strollers...BUT there is such a thing as a ridiculously huge stroller and I do wish people wouldn't take those to the parks. What happened to the little umbrella strollers? I know it's a theme park full of children but there is such a thing as consideration for others, and it's pretty selfish to take an SUV-sized pram into a crowded park and onto Disney property buses, where you're basically taking up the space of five people with that giant stroller.

For the record, I have no problem with putting a small child in a harness. I don't know why they're so frowned-upon.

Goofyernmost

I would disagree, because I think those of us who do have a lot of experience with kids are less likely to buy some of the bologna being sold here.
I'm confused, I think that is what I said... were did I mis-communicate. I stated that those with small children 5 and below had very legitimate reasons for using strollers. I have, through experience with my own family have determined that those 6 and above don't. Do you think that older then that are still needy enough to not walk upright like we were designed to do? Please explain what you disagree with if you would like too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom