So who is going?

Disstevefan1

Yes, I think the feeling rings true for many people here; it does for me at least.

I sometimes wonder when people talk about "Disney is now only for the rich" what that really means. I suspect there are people here that, between decent income and careful spending, have accumulated some amount of 'rich' over time, or at least have resources to take advantage of to smooth out spending humps, which Disney can certainly be.

What's a good threshold for rich, or for the sake of this discussion, "Disney Rich" in that these cost increases and cutbacks don't really phase them. Is there an income level, a net worth number... something... that probably sets the Disney Rich from the rest of the people who want to go to Disney but can no longer afford it?
Agreed, for all the folks who have become priced out or simply no longer see any value in a WDW vacation, there are plenty of "Disney Rich" that will return no matter what, and "first visit" folks who don't know any better.

It does not matter what TWDC does, or does not do, at their theme parks. Folks will show up and spend $$$.

In my opinion, I see no end to it.

SteveAZee

Agreed, for all the folks who have become priced out or simply no longer see any value in a WDW vacation, there are plenty of "Disney Rich" that will return no matter what, and "first visit" folks who don't know any better.

It does not matter what TWDC does, or does not do, at their theme parks. Folks will show up and spend $$$.

In my opinion, I see no end to it.
I suspect that the 'word of mouth' on Disney, at the moment, is about as bad (or worse) than it's ever been. That will have some impact in the long run. I think an economic downturn could compound that problem as well. If Disney gets through the next three to five years without significant impact, you may be right (about no end to it).

COVID has had a different impact than a recession will... it probably built up demand rather than eased it.

Jrb1979

I suspect that the 'word of mouth' on Disney, at the moment, is about as bad (or worse) than it's ever been. That will have some impact in the long run. I think an economic downturn could compound that problem as well. If Disney gets through the next three to five years without significant impact, you may be right (about no end to it).

COVID has had a different impact than a recession will... it probably built up demand rather than eased it.
Agreed. I was just going to say the same thing. I personally think there will significant impact especially when Epic Universe gets finished. I'm not so sure there was UNPRECEDENTED DEMAND ever. IMO a lot of that was people making up for canceled vacations.

Though I do have to wonder how much of the thinking that Disney can't be hurt is fans not wanting to see Disney go down hill.

drizgirl

Agreed. I was just going to say the same thing. I personally think there will significant impact especially when Epic Universe gets finished. I'm not so sure there was UNPRECEDENTED DEMAND ever. IMO a lot of that was people making up for canceled vacations.

Though I do have to wonder how much of the thinking that Disney can't be hurt is fans not wanting to see Disney go down hill.
Unprecedented demand but also a lot of people using up travel vouchers and timeshare points before their deadlines.

Weather_Lady

While I complain about the cost and can do all of the math, for me if I'm honest, it really has nothing to do with I "can afford it". No one likes to feel like a chump and that they are being taken advantage of no matter what the relative cost.
Disney, and especially Disney parks, are selling a feeling at the end of the day. Walt knew this (of course). Eisner knew that (if not always great at accomplishing it). The new "data driven" Disney seems clueless about this. They are now doing a very poor job (or certainly much worse) of generating that feeling for me. This comes out in complaining about the cost or the creating "tiers" of guests, but that is not really the main point I have discovered for me. How do the changes and policies make me, the guests, feel? That is the real question and the one that Disney seems to have completely abandoned now.
So well put!

Goofyernmost

Even though I do complain about the price, I'm not broke, I just have to be selective on what I spend my money on so if I am not feeling that current prices are on the same level as the quality of the experience than I am not going to spend that said money. That is how I feel at that moment. I have always traveled to known places like WDW with a "what do I feel like doing today" attitude. Up until recently I could do that with just a minor amount of flexibility on my part. Now nothing is allowing me to do and plan what I want to do, when I want to do it. I was willing to spend some time with Fastpass+ because it didn't vary all the much from the original Fastpass and in some ways was close to as flexible as the very original no special ride pass at all. Yet, imagine this, somehow or the other we always managed to see everything and in my case multiple times. I had been known, since I stay offsite, to go to a nice $5.00 (probably higher priced now) breakfast buffet and head out toward the entrance to World Drive and somewhere between the restaurant and the entrance decide I didn't want to go to WDW today and pointed toward the Kennedy Space Center or maybe Universal or SeaWorld. Maybe even Bok Tower or even Silver Springs. Never had to worry about it because I never had to decide what day I wanted to go to WDW ahead of time.

Now I feel like I pay to be the guy they put through the maze to see if I can find my way out before my money runs out. Chances are if there is a piece of cheese at the end of the maze the mouse will have already eaten it by the time I get there. In short it simply is no longer any fun for me. The joy was taken over by the degree of effort I have to put into it and it simply is not worth it so maybe it isn't all just directly because of cost for me. However, even though I have money and live a lifestyle quite like I have over the last 39 years and 46 visits I have to look at the future and make decisions, but many did have to "find" the money to go and just cannot go now. If now you are deprived of something that you loved because you can no longer come up with the money to do it, it is psychologically similar to losing ones sight when they had it before and know what they are missing.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

While I complain about the cost and can do all of the math, for me if I'm honest, it really has nothing to do with I "can afford it". No one likes to feel like a chump and that they are being taken advantage of no matter what the relative cost.
Disney, and especially Disney parks, are selling a feeling at the end of the day. Walt knew this (of course). Eisner knew that (if not always great at accomplishing it). The new "data driven" Disney seems clueless about this. They are now doing a very poor job (or certainly much worse) of generating that feeling for me. This comes out in complaining about the cost or the creating "tiers" of guests, but that is not really the main point I have discovered for me. How do the changes and policies make me, the guests, feel? That is the real question and the one that Disney seems to have completely abandoned now.
Nailed it! DDD - Data Driven Disney

DfromATX

We are a family of 6. Our kids range from 19-26 and we took them a lot when they were little. Their first time was also our first time. We all went together last in 2018, plus we brought my son's girlfriend. My husband and I went last February for our first time by ourselves and we had so much fun! We have a trip booked for January, but we might have to cancel it because my mother-in-law fell and fractured her hip - she's 94! I'll be disappointed, but there's no doubt we'll go again. Since it's just the two of us, it is easy, plus we can usually fly free. We might even stay in more deluxes, which we don't usually do with all of us. If I ever have any grand children, I would certainly take them. Our kids always say they want to go, but now they need to pitch in some $$ and so far they haven't lol. Not sure if we are "typical" but we love it!

P.S. - On the bus back to the airport last trip, we sat in front of an elderly couple. I'm guessing they were in their 70's/80's! Their kids were grown and busy with their lives, so it was just the two of them enjoying it. Talk about relationship goals!

mysto

Yes! The price is the price, whatever. It's the (lack of) soul behind the constant requests for tithe that seems corrupt, seems un-disney.

hsisthebest

Ironically to the OP- I am much wealthier now than 20 years ago when I became a big WDW fan, but I have no desire to try out Genie+ and LL or ILL or whatever all the names are. Fastpass+ was the best for my family of 6- I got on all major rides even with just a 30 day window for staying offsite. Now we're back to the days of rushing constantly on vacation to figure out how to get on the newer rides. We used to do 10+ days a trip at WDW, last time we went 8 at WDW 2 at Uni. Our next trip we're trimming it to 3 at WDW 7/8 elsewhere. EPCOT was completely torn up when we went last (2018) and looks like it's still torn up now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom