So who is going?

World_Showcase_Lover007

Been going to Disney regularly since 1997, and have never even had the slightest desire to go to Universal. Went to WDW twice this year, but prices are outrageous. Began planning a trip to Universal for early 2022. It’s time for something else.

Will still go to WDW, but less often.

Disstevefan1

The words the OP used and what so many others are saying is that only the RICH can afford to go. Thats why I said I'm not rich but I can afford to go. Yes I work hard and am responsible with how I save and spend my money. Just because others are irresponsible with their money and cant afford to go to Disney doesnt mean others cant do what Ive done. Blaming Disney because others are in debt so they cant afford a trip doesnt mean they are being priced out. It means the choices theyve made have consequences. If they wanted to go and save instead of squandering their income thats on them. Even if they have a bad paying job and need every dollar to pay for basic living, there are ways they can save and budget for a lower costly trip. It may take longer to do it, but it can be done....Ive been there years ago when I had a poorly paying job and didnt know how Id pay my bills week to week. I did it... others can too.
Your choices to not go regarding Disneys policies are not stopping you from affording a trip. Rather its your dislike of how theyve decided to structure their business. Thats irrelevant to the OP's query.
Yes I am fortunate and I am very average. I never said crowded parks correlates to guests affording a trip. Theres no way you can tell what income level any of them are at or how they got to Disney. No one says you must spend down your retirement fund or go into debt by charging up costs. Thats how you only see to afford a trip and Im saying thats not the only way.
"because others are irresponsible with their money and can't afford to go to Disney" , thats a good one :)

So it's NOT the runaway price increases at WDW, its folks not being responsible with their day to day spending.

Come on folks! Get responsible with your money so you can save up your money and give it to the mouse :)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think you're going to see a few different camps emerge.

The extremes - There'll be the "I'm still going to go as much as I did and I'll pay whatever it costs" group -Or - the "That's it I'm done." group - these will be in the minority.

Then you'll have:

The "I'm still going but will go less often and/or for shorter duration" faction - the "I'm going to take a year or two off" -And - the "I'm still going but will cut back on park spending" (TS, Merch, possibly Hard Ticket events) people - these will be the majority.

At least that's my take.

GuyFawkes

Been going to Disney regularly since 1997, and have never even had the slightest desire to go to Universal. Went to WDW twice this year, but prices are outrageous. Began planning a trip to Universal for early 2022. It’s time for something else.

I would check out the Annual Passes at Universal and the discounts that go with them.

I prefer the Portofino Hotel at Universal, top notch with Express Pass included. Get a good AP rate on those rooms and it's a very good deal. I've stayed at all 3 hotels on an AP rate.

Remember an AP is a park hopper pass so you only need to go a few days to be a head with an AP as opposed to buying tickets.

Goofyernmost

Go with an open mind. It is different, but it has it's own charm and if you can get past what will be a strong degree of prejudice because you love WDW, you will find that Uni has a lot to offer. It has a different feel but there is real quality there. If there wasn't they never would have been able to survive the power of Disney.

P.S. Many of the newer attractions are designed by people that left Disney when they downsized imagineering and expanded the accounting department. To me Universal is just another Disney Park that isn't being run by Disney with many of the themes that could be mistaken for Disney and others that you cannot find in a Disney Park. That's what makes it more interesting. When you're number two you try harder. Make sure you get the park hopper because the Harry Potter Train Ride is magnificent, you don't want to miss it both ways.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

You will not be disappointed. And if you can, stay at one of the three deluxe resorts with the free express pass. The express pass system is easier than Disney. Your room key is your express pass and you simply get in the express pass line of any attraction you like at any time, no selecting in the app, no return time, none of that.

OG Runner

Basic question. So for a while, we've been saying...
1) Disney is becoming only for the rich
2) Disney no longer has any loyal customers.

So who is going to WDW? Who do you think is a typical visitor?

Hi All. I am not rich. Far from it. I would also consider myself a loyal customer. I will be going to WDW in January.
I will be running the Marathon again. I enjoy the whole atmosphere of a Disney event. My last visit was in January
of 2020 and there will be adjustments to be made but I am still anticipating fun.

Beacon Joe

We are again next year. I'm not looking forward to it at all, especially after this Summer's experience, but hiding it from the rest of the family and trying to be excited about just enjoying the atmosphere again.

My son, who is or was a Disney fanatic, and still watches various Disney and theme park vloggers got pretty disheartened after the disaster that were the parks this Summer, and became really sarcastic about the whole thing once he read about the Genie and whatever extra paid tiers of lines they have now.

So one more year, and then I our regular trips to WDW are most likely coming to an end.

JIMINYCR

"because others are irresponsible with their money and can't afford to go to Disney" , thats a good one :)

So it's NOT the runaway price increases at WDW, its folks not being responsible with their day to day spending.

Come on folks! Get responsible with your money so you can save up your money and give it to the mouse :)
In many cases... yes. People throw their money at all kinds of frivolous, costly things they feel they absolutely need to buy, then cry they cant afford to do things others do. I see it all the time. I could list all sorts of items that could be done without and arent needed to sustain family well being. I agree that Disneys prices being raised and things added to cost makes it difficult to afford a trip in comparison to years ago. But again no one needs to be rich to go to Disney. A Disney trip can be done by anyone who wants to budget and save for it. People certainly can find the money to afford all the extras they want to splurge on for themselves and dont seem to see them saying as examples, the lottery commission or local bar is greedy.

tagoofy

For me it is not a matter of if I can afford it (I can) but the feeling that Disney is generating (or not) for me now. We all know Disney is a business and they mean to make money. But there was always a unspoken contract there: You (Disney) don't let your greed and chasing of more $$ be completely blatant and I will overlook and make jokes about where you do try to get more money from me (like the on-going joke of so many rides dumping you into a gift shop). Well, D has dropped their side of the deal (IMO). They are now blatantly and un-abashedly just after more money. This was happening slowly before (like more and more seating at shows only for packages, etc), but now is a run-away-train (again IMO). So, it is more about how these make me feel as a customer rather than "can I afford it".

Add to this the removal of so many things that made Disney feel special and unique (street-m-sphere, impeccable upkeep and maintenance, etc) and I just don’t have the same desire to go. I’ve been recently and the parks feel much more like any other amusement park, rather than the special Disney feel. Don’t even get me started on the spectacular let down of being there on the 50th (Oct 1) and how much they did not do.

So, we have a trip this Jan. My Daughter is running the Dopey Challenge and my wife I will be there to support her. But are we planning on going into the parks (other than to watch her run)? No. Instead we are planning to visit Universal for the first time (despite going to WDW and central FL several times a year for over 25 years we've been loyal to only Disney parks... until now).

jpinkc

We went over Thanksgiving for my wife's birthday, and even my children saw and felt the difference. They are 18 and 16. My 18 yr old wanted her graduation trip to be WDW but after our Thanksgiving experience she is changing her mind. Its pretty bad when young adults can see and feel the difference from the other trips they have made in there lives.
We dont see a return anytime soon in our future and thats sad as its been our Happy Place for many years. My wife has suggested UO but I get bored of UO after a couple of days. UO is good but I dont see it as a Disney alternative until maybe EU opens and we might be a bit to old for all the thrill rides then. LOL

Disstevefan1

In many cases... yes. People throw their money at all kinds of frivolous, costly things they feel they absolutely need to buy, then cry they cant afford to do things others do. I see it all the time. I could list all sorts of items that could be done without and arent needed to sustain family well being. I agree that Disneys prices being raised and things added to cost makes it difficult to afford a trip in comparison to years ago. But again no one needs to be rich to go to Disney. A Disney trip can be done by anyone who wants to budget and save for it. People certainly can find the money to afford all the extras they want to splurge on for themselves and dont seem to see them saying as examples, the lottery commission or local bar is greedy.
Agreed, and no one absolutely needs to vacation at WDW. It comes down to, is it worth it. To some it’s still yes, to some it’s changing. Each to their own.

Having said that, don’t count out Universal and Seaworld when in Central Florida 😀

jloucks

Agreed, and no one absolutely needs to vacation at WDW. It comes down to, is it worth it. To some it’s still yes, to some it’s changing. Each to their own.

Having said that, don’t count out Universal and Seaworld when in Central Florida 😀
We figured it out early to visit both parks. Funny one year it was Halloween at Uni and Christmas at WDW. It was a funny transition.

SteveAZee

For me it is not a matter of if I can afford it (I can) but the feeling that Disney is generating (or not) for me now. We all know Disney is a business and they mean to make money. But there was always a unspoken contract there: You (Disney) don't let your greed and chasing of more $$ be completely blatant and I will overlook and make jokes about where you do try to get more money from me (like the on-going joke of so many rides dumping you into a gift shop). Well, D has dropped their side of the deal (IMO). They are now blatantly and un-abashedly just after more money. This was happening slowly before (like more and more seating at shows only for packages, etc), but now is a run-away-train (again IMO). So, it is more about how these make me feel as a customer rather than "can I afford it".

Yes, I think the feeling rings true for many people here; it does for me at least.

I sometimes wonder when people talk about "Disney is now only for the rich" what that really means. I suspect there are people here that, between decent income and careful spending, have accumulated some amount of 'rich' over time, or at least have resources to take advantage of to smooth out spending humps, which Disney can certainly be.

What's a good threshold for rich, or for the sake of this discussion, "Disney Rich" in that these cost increases and cutbacks don't really phase them. Is there an income level, a net worth number... something... that probably sets the Disney Rich from the rest of the people who want to go to Disney but can no longer afford it?

Ldno

My family is likely to CANCEL our APR 2022 trip. But not because of WDW....

We simply have no AIRLINE service at this time, per Delta :(. If we can not get there, and back (MI).... we simply can not have a vacation :(.
You could save money using gas, I live in the middle of texas with Disneyland close to 18 hours and Disney World in 12 hours, I spent $260 one way to both parks! Totally worth if you can do it.

DugLovesU

I will be going to WDW in May of 2022. But it will be a resorts only trip. I am a DVC'er and getting a $600 room for $125 is still a really good deal.
But while I won't be visiting the Disney Parks, I do plan to take three days or so to visit Universal and check out their parks, as I've never done so and that will be new to me (Though I have been to the Hollywood version). I figure the cost will be relatively the same especially with a Universal Express Pass (maybe). But as far as I know you don't have to reserve a park ahead of time and/or be stuck on your phone all day trying to get on rides.

tagoofy

Yes, I think the feeling rings true for many people here; it does for me at least.

I sometimes wonder when people talk about "Disney is now only for the rich" what that really means. I suspect there are people here that, between decent income and careful spending, have accumulated some amount of 'rich' over time, or at least have resources to take advantage of to smooth out spending humps, which Disney can certainly be.

What's a good threshold for rich, or for the sake of this discussion, "Disney Rich" in that these cost increases and cutbacks don't really phase them. Is there an income level, a net worth number... something... that probably sets the Disney Rich from the rest of the people who want to go to Disney but can no longer afford it?
While I complain about the cost and can do all of the math, for me if I'm honest, it really has nothing to do with I "can afford it". No one likes to feel like a chump and that they are being taken advantage of no matter what the relative cost.
Disney, and especially Disney parks, are selling a feeling at the end of the day. Walt knew this (of course). Eisner knew that (if not always great at accomplishing it). The new "data driven" Disney seems clueless about this. They are now doing a very poor job (or certainly much worse) of generating that feeling for me. This comes out in complaining about the cost or the creating "tiers" of guests, but that is not really the main point I have discovered for me. How do the changes and policies make me, the guests, feel? That is the real question and the one that Disney seems to have completely abandoned now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom