So they ban selfie sticks...

Dizmunk

We hate the automatic bubble-blowers! Those bubble are in our face everywhere we walk. We had lap loads full of food and drink at Fantasmic and were pleading with everyone around us to please turn those things off!

thomas998

The reasoning had to do with the use of selfie sticks on rides. The ban went into effect shortly after someone had one out on California Screamin' on DCA and dropped it on the tracks. People try to use selfie sticks on rides, but not lightsabers. People stow their lightsabers on rides so they don't drop them.

And for the most part, Disney doesn't care about whether you get hit by an object, but they do care if their $10 million ride does.

I suspect they also care if you get injured on a ride because they allowed someone to use something that they dropped and resulted in some other guests injury. The time is coming when I expect some rides to have bans on phones and camera for safety issues. Expect it to happen very quickly if the Six Flags New Jersey litigation ends in Six Flags having to make a big payout to the rider that got hit in the face with someone's camera on a roller coaster. Even if Disney doesn't want to make such a ban I would expect their insurance provider to require it.

thomas998

Cue the discussion about Disney self-insuring...
I'm sure Disney does self-insure in some areas. Most companies do, although the biggest area where companies self insure is health care. I would bet anyone working for a Fortune 500 company is in one of the self insured plans... though most people never realize as most every company that self insures uses a front like United Healthcare or Blue Cross to handle the customer side so that employees don't know it is the company they work for that is really responsible for the decisions on what to cover and what not to cover and not their own company.

Walt Disney1955

I just have to pipe in with the fact that selfie sticks represent so much of what is wrong with our society. How anti-social are you that you can't ask someone walking by to take your picture with your family or friends? Are we that vain.............well, yeah it seems.

How many of us remember the days when it was incredibly common to ask a complete stranger while you were on holidays to take your picture and no one ever turned you down? They won't bite you!

beertiki

It's simple. Just hate other people's kids. You will learn how to watch for them and avoid being near them. 2 brats with a lightsaber can be spotted 100 yards away. They are predictable, just go to the other side of the street. Oh, it's Disney World, full of brat kids. Suck it up, or stay home. I refer to them as Foxtrot Kilo. Forking Kids.

Tick Tock

How many of us remember the days when it was incredibly common to ask a complete stranger while you were on holidays to take your picture and no one ever turned you down? They won't bite you!
I also remember days when we as children didn't require lightsabers, spinners, or bubble machines to keep us calm & respectfully mannered while in public places. Shocking!

jloucks

We hate the automatic bubble-blowers! Those bubble are in our face everywhere we walk. We had lap loads full of food and drink at Fantasmic and were pleading with everyone around us to please turn those things off!
I cant tell if you're joking or not.

Assuming so because you cannot taste popped bubble in most foods they serve at WDW. I know, I tried it.

Now if you are talking about snot bubbles, that is something else.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Assuming so because you cannot taste popped bubble in most foods they serve at WDW. I know, I tried it.
Taste, schmaste. I don't want airborne soap film popping on, over, or into my food.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
but they sell lightsabers in the park? Got bopped in the face with one today at DHS.

The lightsabers are just as long as the selfie sticks. Just as dangerous.
You probably should have ducked...clearly the force is not with you;););)

As a bunch of other people already said the selfie stick ban was more for people holding them out on rides.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I love those things. We were so busy on our last trip the kids never had time for a bath. Those things at least gave them some contact with soap.;)

Goofyernmost

You probably should have ducked...clearly the force is not with you;););)

As a bunch of other people already said the selfie stick ban was more for people holding them out on rides.
The most lethal item brought into the parks is, hands down, over loaded backpacks brought in by those that don't think they can go anyplace without most of their household strapped to their back. I wouldn't care about that at all if people using them were to give even a seconds thought to where they are in relation to other people. I know, that when I am driving shuttle at the Airport, I cannot tell you how often I get hit in the head with those backpacks. They stick out behind them usually over a foot and a half and clear out everything in their path.

DisAl

Now if you are talking about snot bubbles, that is something else.
Are assuming that the bubbles are "food grade
Taste, schmaste. I don't want airborne soap film popping on, over, or into my food.
Or in my eyes or on my glasses or on my camera.

BigRedDad

I am for banning ECVs and strollers as well. Been run over by both and get the oh sorry look. I want give them the "oh sorry hawaiian punch!!!" to see how they like it.

DisAl

I am for banning ECVs and strollers as well. Been run over by both and get the oh sorry look. I want give them the "oh sorry hawaiian punch!!!" to see how they like it.
That works both ways. Yes, there are idiots driving some of the strollers and ECVs, but there are even more oblivious idiots who will step right in front of a wheelchair in motion expecting you to stop instantly. :mad:

Pixieish

That works both ways. Yes, there are idiots driving some of the strollers and ECVs, but there are even more oblivious idiots who will step right in front of a wheelchair in motion expecting you to stop instantly. :mad:
Or a double-stroller...those things aren't light! (And I can't stress enough how nice it is to not need a stroller anymore.)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The place I volunteer offers both strollers and ECVs to visitors, because, like it or not, we get hundreds every week who just couldn't enjoy the facility without one or the other. Are there some who probably don't "need" them? Yes. But the vast majority of those who ask for them need them. And a good number of those were convinced by their family to use them... they wouldn't have asked for one by themselves.

Yeah, they can be hazardous in a crowd, especially with inexperienced operators. We have areas that they can't go into for visitor and exhibit safety concerns. If they're not careful, well, that's why we have liability laws and such. But they can, if they're careful, see a lot more of the huge facility with them than they could without them.

DisAl

Or a double-stroller...those things aren't light! (And I can't stress enough how nice it is to not need a stroller anymore.)
If you look at my signature line we will have four generations one our next trip. (Last trip too.) The youngest will be 3 1/2, my mother will be almost 89, so we will have both a stroller and wheelchair. We do use a "manual" wheelchair for my mother though, I don't have enough liability insurance to turn her loose on an ECV. ;)
Hmmm..... Maybe if she had a selfie stick she could swing that thing around and clear a path.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

I'm half-way kidding but I'd sorta like to see them ban double-wide strollers. I can understand the double-depth ones when you have multiple little kids but the double-wide ones just take up so much room horizontally and make it really difficult to get around them. Factor in people walking 2+ wide around double-wide strollers and forget about it. I also see people using some of these strollers as nothing more than freight carts for all of the items they seem to think they need to survive in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom