So they ban selfie sticks...

ppete1975

i think the big issue was people standing in the way all the time taking selfies (its one thing to just take a selfie), it takes a lot more footprint for 6 kids to try to use a selfie stick taking pics, or where they just keep it extended all the time taking selfies or vids not paying attention to where they are walking with no regard to others just staring into the camera. I think it was becoming a safety,guest complaint, and clogging the walking paths.

Goofyernmost

i think the big issue was people standing in the way all the time taking selfies (its one thing to just take a selfie), it takes a lot more footprint for 6 kids to try to use a selfie stick taking pics, or where they just keep it extended all the time taking selfies or vids not paying attention to where they are walking with no regard to others just staring into the camera. I think it was becoming a safety,guest complaint, and clogging the walking paths.
No, not even close to the reason because as I stated earlier selfie sticks take up a lot less room in the pathways then the old, ask a stranger to take the picture. That takes up all kinds of time, not only educating everyone on how to use the particular photographic device, but also no one can cross in front of the camera so many are held up. With the selfie stick, no one can walk into the middle of a picture and only takes up a couple of feet of the path. So, that is not the reason. Those six kids you are referring too, will take up a whole lot more room with standard photography.

RHCP Mickey

How satisfying would it be to see that phone get annihilated by a post?

upload_2017-11-20_13-4-9-png.245566

AndyS2992

but they sell lightsabers in the park? Got bopped in the face with one today at DHS.

The lightsabers are just as long as the selfie sticks. Just as dangerous.
My last ride on Space Mountain had a kid swinging one around the entire ride, surprised it didn't hit something and fly in to another guest's face or get stuck in the track and cause a derailment.

peter11435

Had absolutely nothing to do with this. Taking a picture without a selfie stick takes up far more room and is allowed and encouraged.

It was all because of selfie stick use on attractions as has been stated.

drizgirl

Lightsabers, balloons etc can be an issue if parents/kids are not paying attention, but this could kill someone or damage the ride.

View attachment 245564
This is the shot that did it for me back right before they banned them. I saw that and said "that's going to end soon". And for the very obvious reason here. An impulsive teen with one of these could do a lot of damage. Then there's the potential for injury when combined with fast speed on other rides. They really had no choice. Relying on guests to behave reasonably never works out 100% of the time.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This is the shot that did it for me back right before they banned them. I saw that and said "that's going to end soon". And for the very obvious reason here. An impulsive teen with one of these could do a lot of damage. Then there's the potential for injury when combined with fast speed on other rides. They really had no choice. Relying on guests to behave reasonably never works out 100% of the time.
Hence lap bars on Splash. Next comes seat belts on CoP.

Goofyernmost

Hence lap bars on Splash. Next comes seat belts on CoP.
Hey, that might just be the solution to the early departure problem. Seat belts that cannot be unhooked until the ride ends. Love it. Thanks for running that up the flag pole... I was the first to salute.

DisAl

Had absolutely nothing to do with this. Taking a picture without a selfie stick takes up far more room and is allowed and encouraged.

It was all because of selfie stick use on attractions as has been stated.
I have not figured out how taking a selfie holding the camera in your hand takes up more room than mounting the camera on the end of a 3' stick and holding it 3' further out than a hand. :confused:

peter11435

I have not figured out how taking a selfie holding the camera in your hand takes up more room than mounting the camera on the end of a 3' stick and holding it 3' further out than a hand. :confused:
I'm not talking about "selfies." The alternative to taking a group picture with a selfie stick is generally having someone else take the picture for you.

StarWarsGirl

but they sell lightsabers in the park? Got bopped in the face with one today at DHS.

The reasoning had to do with the use of selfie sticks on rides. The ban went into effect shortly after someone had one out on California Screamin' on DCA and dropped it on the tracks. People try to use selfie sticks on rides, but not lightsabers. People stow their lightsabers on rides so they don't drop them.

And for the most part, Disney doesn't care about whether you get hit by an object, but they do care if their $10 million ride does.

The Empress Lilly

I'm ashamed to admit that last week at Disney after the 17th time that day I was on the receiving end of some boy practising waving a big stick at other people I got dangerously close to, shall we say, doing what would've gotten me lifetime ban.

What a nuisance!

* goes back inside, promises nurse to take heart medicine, joins bingo game *

FettFan

Selfie sticks are metal. Lightsabers are light plastic.

Meaning if one gets dropped on a ride, the lightsabers are less likely to damage the ride or injure other riders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom