So no Star Wars in the forseeable future

Nick Wilde

No. We don't. We know it's based on Frozen. You can imagine that it'll be awful, but you and I know exactly as much about the actual new ride as anyone else here (unless there's an Imagineer lurking the thread). Sure, it might be terrible. But is it crazy to be open to the idea that it might not be terrible? I'm willing to actually ride it before making silly assumptions.
We know more than just it being about Frozen. It's going to be about the movie, as stated on the Disney Parks blog, and it's not going to include ANYTHING about Norway, just scenes and songs from the movie. I'd be fine if it taught you more about Norway, like the World Showcase was intended to do, not have you prance around with Olaf, while Iger laughs all the way to the bank, with his quick, shoe-in attraction. So in doing so, it has, in fact, ruined Maelstrom and Norway.

Otterhead

We know more than just it being about Frozen. It's going to be about the movie...
As I said, you and I know nothing more about the ride than "it's based on Frozen". And given that Arendelle is not Norway, I wouldn't expect it to teach me anything about Norway. Hey, I'm nostalgic about Maelstrom, too. But until you actually see the new attraction, assuming it's lousy is really ridiculous.

Nick Wilde

As I said, you and I know nothing more about the ride than "it's based on Frozen". And given that Arendelle is not Norway, I wouldn't expect it to teach me anything about Norway. Hey, I'm nostalgic about Maelstrom, too. But until you actually see the new attraction, assuming it's lousy is really ridiculous.
I notice you only took the part of my post that you liked and replied to it. And, the fact that Arendelle is not Norway is exactly why it shouldn't be there. Also, I said nothing about the attraction being "lousy". Just that it ruined Norway and Maelstrom.

Nick Wilde

I notice you only took the part of my post that you liked and replied to it. And, the fact that Arendelle is not Norway is exactly why it shouldn't be there. Also, I said nothing about the attraction being "lousy". Just that it ruined Norway and Maelstrom.
Anyways, getting off track. STAR WARS. GIVE IT TO ME NOW IGER. ME WANT.

Otterhead

I notice you only took the part of my post that you liked and replied to it.
No, I added an ellipsis (...) to indicate there was more after my cut. Your post said exactly what I replied to: you and I know exactly the same amount about the upcoming ride, which is what's been reported on the blog. Jeez, man. Relax.

tman2000

So, my pet theory is that Star Wars will be moved to where Tomorrowland is. Tomorrowland will then "take over" EPCOT future world.

Mostly, my evidence for this comes from a few rumors lately about the Tomorrowland film getting a presence in EPCOT. And I thought, well - that's a good idea, but what would go where Tomorrowland is now? Only Star Wars could fill that hole.

And then it starts to make sense: Magic Kingdom has a gender-neutral area to the left, and a girl area strait ahead, so it needs a stronger boy area to the right (current tomorrowland is sort of blah). Star Wars is perfect for this.

Also, Star Wars has had a presence at DHS because Star Wars is considered a film property. I imagine Disney would want to transform Star Wars into a general, multi-media, space fantasy universe. Putting its presence in MK solidifies this framing, and it lets everyone know that Disney IS Star Wars and Star Wars IS Disney.

That said, such a huge move would require the Tomorrowland movie to do decently, and also - especially - the new Star Wars film. The new Star Wars film will undoubtedly sell tickets. But will it sell toys? How many? How many hours will 5-year old boys wait in line to see "Kylo Ren" or "Poe Dameron" or even Luke Skywalker? Or will the new Wars be like JJ Abrams' Trek? Well-received but fading quickly.

I imagine we'll have to wait a year or so after the first movie comes out before we get an actual plan for a Star Wars long-term presence.

I think at one time the obvious thing to do was to just juice up the DHS presence. Convert nearby fast food to Mos Eisley Cantina. Build permanent structures for Star Wars weekend stuff. Maybe build a new C-ticket. They probably quickly decided (thankfully) that that wouldn't cut it. I'm sure they want to make a huge investment in this, but they're waiting to see how huge.

I'm predicting it will be 2020 before we'll see any major Star Wars presence finished.

ItlngrlBella

I just hope that some major news is announced at D23 so some of these threads can cease speculation.

...but... any announcement will bring more speculation anyway. Soooo....

gljvd

Yea , they will have a star wars movie every year and each one will gross close to 1B a year. They will have multiple star wars games , tv shows , toy lines , clothing lines and so on.

I'm sure we will see stuff at d23 and yes it will take 3-4 years for it to come out. But when its ready we will be back into the eb and flow of star wars.

PhotoDave219

Could be wrong, but i'm sure i read Iger stated he wanted to wait till the Star Wars films came out before they decided what they would do with any future attractions for the park - it had nothing to do with not wanting to invest in the parks. The primary reason given was the film was top secret, plots, characters were all a tight nit secret that no one knew.

Hard one to believe when you concider that surely all of Disney executives who are signing of on the project like Iger must know the plot and characters! Then we have the video game in development, that has been in development for a year or so now - so we have to assume they know the characters! Then we have all the merchandise that is being created and worked on - so i guess those guys know too !

So i guess the only ones who aren't in the loop are the creative people at the parks.

Doesn't have anything to do with not wanting to invest in the parks? Iger is a disgrace - a CEO man more interested in profits than investing in the parks. Any long term damage to the parks won't be his problem as he'll be long gone. A CEO whose salary is determined on profit, thus any expenditure on the parks hits his salary !!!!

Just back from Hollywood Studios - the park is a disgrace.

CORRECTAMUNDO!

DDLand

It's happening. It's in development. It's going to be a huge addition to every single Disney park. Some folks just aren't happy that it isn't already here.
That's what I'm thinking, but if @marni1971 calls it into doubt, I know better then to question his insider knowledge. He's good.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You mean like not happening right now, or like not happening at all? @marni1971 you're scaring me...
Not happening yet after the almost spades in the ground scenario 18 months back. Sorry to scare you.

There's six films already. A SW land could already be started if it was going to be a truely stunning, large land with multiple attractions that the franchise demands. They've a large expansion pad and a parking lot to play with (if they'd stuck to the original plans)

DDLand

Not happening yet after the almost spades in the ground scenario 18 months back. Sorry to scare you.

There's six films already. A SW land could already be started if it was going to be a truely stunning, large land with multiple attractions that the franchise demands. They've a large expansion pad and a parking lot to play with (if they'd stuck to the original plans)
Thanks! You never know with Disney these days... Hey, I may even be alive by the time it opens!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom