So much for romantic......

Pooh88

I just got back from what was probably my 7th trip to Disney. My husband and I were celebrating our 10th anniversay and had heard the Wilderness Lodge was considered one of the most romantic resorts. Was that with or without the hundreds of screaming toddlers :hammer: or the Whispering Canyon Cafe doing the Hokey Pokey? Don't get me wrong, I love kids and taught for twelve years its just that I was hoping that the first week in November would be a quieter week!

BRER STITCH

Try as hard as you like...you won't find an "Adults Only" resort at WDW.

Looks like the new ad campaign is paying off!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 10th ANNIVERSARY!!!

:sohappy: :wave: :sohappy: :wave: :sohappy: :wave:

Upvote 0

Pooh88

Original Poster
Thanks....

But wouldn't that be a great idea for a new resort?? Adults only??? Especially those celebrating anniversaries?

:D

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Did you eat at the Whispering Canyon? That is a very family friendly place....You would have had a more romantic evening in Artist Pointe. Don't give up on the Wilderness...its a great place.:wave:

Upvote 0

ehren

My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary last year by staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was great! The people who were there with their kids controlled them, and the restaurants all seemed fairly quiet. I guess all resorts have busier times. We just got lucky.:)

Upvote 0

Pooh88

Original Poster
We did eat at Artiste Pointe for the second time. 2 years ago was great but this time not so good. It took forever to get served, lots of kids even late in the evening and even after about an hour waiting for food, my filet came out so rare it was mooing and they had to take it back. Considering the prices it was pretty dissappointing this time. :(

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Wow...sorry. We have stayed there numerous times at various times of the year and have never seen it like that. The place was packed in August, but Artist Pointe was almost always empty.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by Pooh88
I just got back from what was probably my 7th trip to Disney. My husband and I were celebrating our 10th anniversay and had heard the Wilderness Lodge was considered one of the most romantic resorts. Was that with or without the hundreds of screaming toddlers :hammer: or the Whispering Canyon Cafe doing the Hokey Pokey? Don't get me wrong, I love kids and taught for twelve years its just that I was hoping that the first week in November would be a quieter week!

Congrats on your 10th, we just celebrated ours there this past Aug. (we took our own screaming tolder with us.) I wonder though, after being there 7 times, didn't you know most resorts having young children? It doesn't mater what time of year since they are not bound by school years. Infact resorts closer to MK tend to have more young kids since it is easy to get there.

Also Whispering Canyon Cafe is known for it's crazy kid things, that is kinda the point. I recomend Artist Point and California Grill instead (a little too late).

WDW can be romantic for just adults, but there is going to be kids almost everywhere you go. If it isn't for kids, it is most likely an expensive place. (or PI and full of smoke, can't win!) It is kinda of a grin and bear it thing. Some places are better then others, but some you just need to expect it. That is one of the reasons when given the opprotunity to go to WDW with out my DD we declined. If I was going to bother going some place with out her, I would pick a place that wasn't already filled with other peoples children.

I do sympathize with you, but I think it is a little unrealisic. I am not one of those people who think anyone who doesn't have a young kid in tow shouldn't go to WDW, but you have to be able to tolerate other peoples. Just be happy you didn't have to take care of them and could walk away from them.

WDW is for everyone, I have been there 6 times with my husband before DD came into our lives, I too was teaching for most of that time. Next time if you are avoiding young kids take a cruise with an adults only option or go resort that is for adults only.

Sorry, I don't mean to crass, but it is WDW, even GF is full of young kids! Relax and enjoy the fact they aren't yours! Admire them when they are cute, walk away when they aren't.

Upvote 0

WDWSwashbuckler

You could always save your pennies and try the Grand Floridian... Doens't seem to be too much of a "kid friendly" atmosphere... I dunno, just a weird thrown out suggestion... :animwink:

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Originally posted by dadisneynutter
You could always save your pennies and try the Grand Floridian... Doens't seem to be too much of a "kid friendly" atmosphere... I dunno, just a weird thrown out suggestion... :animwink:

Just not when we are staying there. :lookaroun In our case, it's my husband and his brothers you will want to avoid. I try to keep my kids' screaming to a minimum, but the guys are all much bigger than me. I can't drag them to the bathroom for a timeout and the "This will stop RIGHT NOW or you go back to the room and spend the rest of the day napping!"speech. :lol: Seriously, sorry you were disappointed. :( Perhaps next trip will be better.

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Hey, congrats on 10! DW and I are celebrating number 4 today (on the Disney Magic :) ).

Had you eaten at Whispering Canyon before? It's not at all a quiet, romantic place (even though the name might suggest that). It's probably as romantic as the Hoop Dee Doo Review. ;)

We had a very quiet room when we celebrated our honeymoon at the Grand Floridian and made sure to get a honeymoon room on the conceirge level. Very few kids and great view of the Cinderella Castle.

As for quiet, romantic places to eat, the Cali Grill is nice, but I don't think anything can beat V&A's.

-sig

Upvote 0

civileng68

Account Suspended
romantic

Well I can tell you this about romantic after going for two weeks on a honeymoon.

dont do any resort stuff if you want to be romantic because that's where the kids flock, that and the MK.

the best PARK to go to for a romantic evening is Epcot. First off, Illuminations can be considered romantic if you approach it right. Also, the kids tend to not really like Epcot and so most families with real young children leave after Epcot closes and want nothing to do with WS.

Go to a restaraunt in WSL and then go to Illuminations, that will be romantic. Trust me.

If you tell those restaraunts you are having a special occassion they will try to get you the most romantic place in the restaraunt.

Upvote 0

Pooh88

Original Poster
We do spend a lot of time in the WS at Epcot. We agree that that is the most romantic spot. We ate at England and they put us outside so we could see Illuminations.

We did not eat at Whispering Canyon. Just watching was enough. We're not real "participatory" eaters.

:)

Upvote 0

DVCMommy

Sorry to hear about your experience Pooh88! This isn't going to help you much, but we found out that there was a huge media campaign, (Space and Philharmagic) whereby Disney packed the resorts by extending promotional resort rates. In essence, you went during the time that there was guaranteed to be alot of pre-school aged children making their first trip to Disney!

Still, there are a few resorts that are more 'Adult-Friendly', but alas, a bit more costly. The Grand Floridian, The Disney Institute, and (so I hear) the Polynesian(sp) are, as I understand it, more likely to be 'screaming toddler' free.

As a Mom of a screaming toddler, I've tried to make sure that my kiddo understands how to behave in restaurants/public, and I make sure to keep her rested and check to see if she's just too tired to be out in the thick of things. I personally keep her away from the higher-end eateries like Cinderella's Castle, Artist's Point, ect. Still, you never know when the surprise melt-down will occur, and although we move as quickly as we can to spare those around us, it doesn't always happen fast enough to avoid a display. One thing I can tell you is that we tried to eat early, so as to avoid embarrassment. My guess is that 5:00-6:30 has to be the highest period for family dining.

Hope that helps for your next trip!

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by Pooh88
Thanks....

But wouldn't that be a great idea for a new resort?? Adults only??? Especially those celebrating anniversaries?

:D

There was a rumor about making Discovery Island a 'honeymoon resort'. I don´t know what happened next, but the idea, for me, was excellent. ;)

Upvote 0

DVCMommy

Originally posted by Maria
There was a rumor about making Discovery Island a 'honeymoon resort'. I don´t know what happened next, but the idea, for me, was excellent. ;)

That would be a great idea. They could also put one a bit closer to Pleasure Island...hint-hint to Disney Corp!

Upvote 0

civileng68

Account Suspended
kids

Originally posted by DVCMommy

As a Mom of a screaming toddler, I've tried to make sure that my kiddo understands how to behave in restaurants/public, and I make sure to keep her rested and check to see if she's just too tired to be out in the thick of things. I personally keep her away from the higher-end eateries like Cinderella's Castle, Artist's Point, ect. Still, you never know when the surprise melt-down will occur, and although we move as quickly as we can to spare those around us, it doesn't always happen fast enough to avoid a display. One thing I can tell you is that we tried to eat early, so as to avoid embarrassment. My guess is that 5:00-6:30 has to be the highest period for family dining.

Hope that helps for your next trip!

You are the type of parent I respect and the type I will be when Im a parent hopefully in a few years.

You never know when a child may have a "meltdown" and its always going to happen, but at least you teach your children how to act in public, even as small children. My parents did that with me and said I was a pleasure to be around in public.

That is the problem with many parents, they literally can't tell their kids no, and don't know how to discipline and their children run all over them and are super loud and super out of control. I can't even be in the room with those kids or parents.

Upvote 0

DVCMommy

Thanks! I think it's because we went a long time before we had any, so we got the full treatment as a -y couple, and we had time to learn from our friend's mistakes. It's no fun for the kids if they're not being managed well. They have no idea how to plan ahead, so it's really up to the parent to make sure there is structure and fail-safes so that everyone is having a good time.

I'm happy to say, we didn't have a single public melt-down! That's not to say that we weren't in the baby station with a red-faced child once or twice...

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by DVCMommy
Thanks! I think it's because we went a long time before we had any, so we got the full treatment as a -y couple, and we had time to learn from our friend's mistakes.

LOL! By the time I have kids, my patience level will be sooo little, that I will make sure there is no public meltdown! :lol: (probably MY own meltdown though... :eek: ) :lookaroun

:animwink:

Upvote 0

Pooh88

Original Poster
Parents in general don't seem to want to say no. In fact, at the Liberty Tree Tavern, one Mom encouraged her barefoot toddler to stand up and run around on the booth while she played with her and thought it was cute. Another Mom at the airport said no only once and then gave up while her daughter had her hands in and sat on the luggage belt that was about to start up at the airport.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom