So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

djkidkaz

Original Poster
It seems all construction has come to a halt for a few months now. What's going on here? Have they scrapped the project or are they reworking the plans?

GrumpyFan

I'm curious too.
If I had to guess, I would say they probably ran out of sponsors willing and ready to move in, or back the construction bill. Seems there's still a lot of economic uncertainty going around.

trr1

lets ask Keith Bradford, vice president of Downtown Disney .He stated that an amphitheater-style park on the lakeside would be the first area ready for guests. He expects the park, next to the Paradiso 37 restaurant, will be ready by the summer of 2011.

TP2000

lets ask Keith Bradford, vice president of Downtown Disney .He stated that an amphitheater-style park on the lakeside would be the first area ready for guests. He expects the park, next to the Paradiso 37 restaurant, will be ready by the summer of 2011.

Ooh, thanks for reminding us. Bradford did go on record with multiple media sources last November stating that the ampthitheater-park would be ready in "Summer, 2011".

I guess you could give him the benefit of the doubt by saying that the Summer Solstice was just this past Tuesday, and that he's got about 90 days until the Autumnal Equinox on September 21st to get it done. Hey Keith, you got a park to build, it's time for a Home Depot run! :lookaroun

captainkidd

Just reopen the clubs, put something INTERESTING in to Virgin Megastore, and move on already. This is getting embarrassing.

SeaBase86

Just reopen the clubs, put something INTERESTING in to Virgin Megastore, and move on already. This is getting embarrassing.

It really is. I still don't understand why they closed ALL the clubs. It makes no sense. If no one is planning on moving in, TAKE MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS!!! Open the clubs back up trust me everyone will win that situation.

71jason

It really is. I still don't understand why they closed ALL the clubs. It makes no sense.

You know, I do understand why they closed the clubs. It was a short-sighted, mercenary decision, done without even the most basic research or an understanding of the fundamental differences between the Orlando and Anaheim properties, but I do understand it.

What I don't understand is the failure to fill empty buildings in a prime location 3 years later, when it became obvious your initial plan to use 3rd parties was clearly doomed to failure 6 months in.

71jason

Seems there's still a lot of economic uncertainty going around.

Not in the touristy part of Orlando. Tourist-oriented restaurants are springing up like mushrooms on west 192 (seven or eight in the last year), and a fair number of places either opened or are opening on I-Drive (including a huge Dave & Busters, once a rumored replacement for Virgin).

Of course, even those high-rent districts don't demand $1m/year plus 30% of the gross. Which makes you wonder--at what point does the bad show of empty buildings inspire you to lower your rents to a more realistic level?

JWG

I don't buy the economic excuse. City Walk seems to be doing ok. Disney has screwed the pooch here somehow. Though as Universal slowly catches up, sooner or later it will spark action by Disney. Competition is good and imhope Universal keeps investing.

Heck, I may even give up a few days at Disney to stay over there soon. Money talks and Universal is starting to earn some from me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom