So I kind of miss the Diamond Celebration already

brb1006

if you thought that was exciting, you should have been around during the 50th in 2005 ;) geez, nearly 15 years ago.. i honestly think that the golden age (no pun intended) for disneyland of the 2000s was the 50th, so much activity, and magic, and love poured into every square inch of the park
Don't forget "Parade Of Dreams" which was a parade dedicated to the park's 50th Anniversary. The floats was so impressive to see in motion, especially the Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, and Alice in Wonderland sections.

Last edited:

VJ

Don't forget "Parade Of Dreams" which was a parade dedicated to the park's 50th Anniversary. The float was so impressive to see in motion, especially the Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, and Alice in Wonderland sections.
Exactly! Parade of Dreams and Remember... Dreams Come True were so (overused buzzword incoming) magical to watch live and in person. Videos absolutely do not do those two justice, especially Remember in its original uncut configuration.

Californian Elitist

Exactly! Parade of Dreams and Remember... Dreams Come True were so (overused buzzword incoming) magical to watch live and in person. Videos absolutely do not do those two justice, especially Remember in its original uncut configuration.

Yes, I would like to hear from those who were actually there and not from videos.

brb1006

One of my favorite floats from "Parade Of Dreams" is the giant Ursula float and the entire Pinocchio section.

VJ

Yes, I would like to hear from those who were actually there and not from videos.
I was two-months-from-turning-10 when the celebration started (and 11 by the time it ended) so my memories are kinda foggy, but I remember the atmosphere of the park being really joyous, truly like a homecoming for everyone who came to the park. It made me feel like I was a part of something really special. I honestly cried when I read the Visions Fantastic update from September 2006 and saw that all the decorations were removed, because the 50th meant so much to me and I was sad to see it end. That year, I was pretty immersed in everything Disney; I played Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) its entire run, I visited Walt Disney World for the first time in June 2005.. 2005 and 2006 were just really special years for me, and I thank the magic of Disneyland for being the centerpiece of that.

TwilightZone

I don't remember much, but it was beautiful. The garden at the front was eye catching, there was gardens everywhere. The entrance had paint the roses red playing (I know this since it always plays when we get there, so it's like the unofficial disney theme song for me). MSEP was taller than me and Soarin' made me feel like I was actually there.

It was a wonderful time, but luckily for me, I can always recreate it with other park visits. : )

Phroobar

You mean Magic Kingdom's castle. ;)
I think you are thinking of White Castle.

White_Castle_Slider__27759.1449503682.350.350.jpg

TROR

The Disneyland 50th was a huge deal, much more so than the 60th. The merchandise was amazing and tons of things based on old attractions whether it be posters, disneyana, etc. They sold giant posters of the original map for Disneyland as well. Space Mountain redo was absolutely impressive. I was fortunate enough to go about a month after the re-opening of Space Mountain and was blown away. Remember Dreams Come True was awesome in its original run. The whole thing was much better ran (with a focus on Disney history) and felt a lot classier than the Diamond Celebration.

For me the Diamond Celebration Peter Pan and Alice are improved, but the Matterhorn Yeti is way too quiet now and they took away my favorite scene (the crystals).
Fixed. But elsewise I agree. Definitely would love a return of the crystals and the removal of the literal garbage. I hate meta references that are anything but subtle.

TwilightZone

The Disneyland 50th was a huge deal, much more so than the 60th. The merchandise was amazing and tons of things based on old attractions whether it be posters, disneyana, etc. They sold giant posters of the original map for Disneyland as well. Space Mountain redo was absolutely impressive. I was fortunate enough to go about a month after the re-opening of Space Mountain and was blown away. Remember Dreams Come True was awesome in its original run. The whole thing was much better ran (with a focus on Disney history) and felt a lot classier than the Diamond Celebration.

For me the Diamond Celebration Peter Pan and Alice are improved, but the Matterhorn Yeti is way too loud now and they took away my favorite scene (the crystals).
50th was my first ride on Space mountain. It was fantastic, helped ease my fear of coasters.

Phroobar

For me the Diamond Celebration Peter Pan and Alice are improved, but the Matterhorn Yeti is way too loud now and they took away my favorite scene (the crystals).
Too bad what made Space Mountain 2005 special is broken now. Those projections were great back then. Now you can only see them at Hong Kong.a

Californian Elitist

Agreed about the merchandise. It was great, I still have my 50th stationary set that I’ve purposefully barely used because I love it so much.

FerretAfros

Much of what made the 50th special was more than the daily offerings in the park, it was the change in philosophy that came with the event. DLR was coming out of arguably it's worst period ever, with the post-9/11 recession, DCA's failure to launch, and nearly a decade of maintenance and operations cutbacks that had killed multiple guests. Attendance had slumped, management was putting all their attention into quick-fixes for DCA, and DL had been neglected.

That whole approach changed with the 50th. Due to the hasty planning and low-budget nature of the event, instead of featuring splashy new attractions (like WDW ironically got for DL's 50th), the park was given a thorough top-to-bottom series of refurbishments and looked better than it had in years. It felt as though management was turning a new page, and moving away from the decisions that allowed the park to stagnate and decay.

It also marked the first time that the park really made an appeal directly to its fans and marketed its own nostalgia. Instead of simply being part of Disney in general, the event acknowledged that the park was a brand of its own and had its own fans. The whole spirit of the event tied into the guests themselves, and the emotional connections that had been forged with the park through the years. Paired with the explosion of APs (thanks in part to the introduction of monthly payments around that same time), it felt like the first time that the parkgoers themselves were real stakeholders.

Yes, the fireworks and parade were great, the merchandise was neat, and the decorations were classy, widespread, and lovely. But what really made it stand out was how it was a breath of fresh air, putting the bad times in the past. Even at the time, it felt like the start of a new era, which has more-or-less continued to this day.

On the flipside, that same approach was relied upon for too long, often to the resort's detriment. Instead of new meaningful additions, they pushed self-referential nostalgia at every turn. Instead of drawing those once-in-a-generation guests, they've become a local's hangout where infrequent visitors often feel out of place. The last few years have finally brought more meaningful investment in the park's future, but not necessarily the kind that some people would like to see.

I'll also add that I was there on July 17, 2005, and it was just an incredible experience. From spending the night lined up in DCA with thousands of other fans (my first time really being immersed in Disney fandom), to having the CMs greet us "Welcome home" as we walked up Main Street, to the huge rededication ceremony in front of the castle, to the free ears and cupcakes, the energy was absolutely electric. And with all the warnings about how busy it would be scaring away casual visitors, the crowds were delightfully thin and like-minded. It really was one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments that you just had to be there for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom