So I finally rode the new Test Track...

l4dybu6

so your ride "car" is not going 60+? the old ride was so tired and 90s....sorry things change...i like the clean,futurish,sim feel of it because....it fits in with Epcot. but thats my two cents
The car still goes on the same track as before... It hasn't been replaced with a simulator, if that's what you were asking. (If not, sorry for the misunderstanding!!)

Animaniac93-98

My opinions upon actually riding it mirror my video-based thoughts before. Much better queue/pre-show and post-show experiences, better ride concept and nice effects (all of which worked for me! Even the ranking system and "mirror" effect. Guess I got lucky). Could it do with more effects and a revised script? Yes, but the concept is far more appealing to me than a warehouse tour.

Magikal

So is it faster than before? Anyone know? I used to know how fast it went but I can't remember. I know the "radar" pretend clocked you at 52 or 54 but it wasn't a functioning radar. From what I understood the speed was fixed, not variable. I don't believe that's changed, but I could be wrong.

Aurora1

...and they changed everything except the fact that it breaks down!! I sat in the car for about fifteen minutes. Waiting. Why didn't they fix whatever it is that makes it break down all the time??? If you ride it when it gets stuck, you should get a FP to re-ride later...so you get a full, uninterrupted ride experience.

It seemed faster to me. I don't know if that is just the new surroundings or if it really got faster.

I very much prefer the cleverness and creativity of the old one. There was a theme. It had a soul.

But I think this will be considered much cooler by today's kids, who have no idea who the Crash Dummies were. And if I look at it as an entirely different ride, I can say I like it. I wish they'd changed the name so it would be easier to look at it as a whole different ride. It does have more of a "thrill" feel to it.

The queue area is cheap-looking and exceedingly boring. I was very disappointed there. At the very least, they could hang up some pictures of cars or one that a baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. A pic of the Crash Dummies would be nice, too. Something!

It really is very TRON Tracky!! I don't know who coined that term, but it is so appropriate.

That's my review. I know you were all waiting for me to ride it and dying to hear my impressions. ;) ;)

Since I avoided reading too much about it before riding (I love to ride new Disney stuff and have a new experience), I'd like to hear yours. :D

We went last week, and rode TT twice (first we walked on 5 min wait, then with a fast pass). The first time the ride went off without problems, but the second time we literally inched along at 1 mile an hour until we got to the outdoor section. I hope there were no first timers on with us, because it was AWFUL that time through!

swissamy

My kids (boys aged 13 and 9) hate the new ride - they loved the old one so much and cannot imagine that it could be "ruined" in such a short time (the time it was shut down and "updated"). Even the showroom at the end that had the feel of a real Auto Show is tackier now...You could take "It's A Small World" and update it with computer animations of real children singing and dancing all over the world but it would lose all of its quaintness and fun through the update...exactly what happened to test track!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I knew old TT was popular based on wait times, but truthfully, it was a horrible ride experience. How the new version could be any worse then the old is mystifying to me. I'll be riding it in about a month, so maybe I'll be proven wrong and it will be terrible. But either way, there will be no tears shed for the mess that was there before.

ExtinctJenn

I think the reason it feels faster is because you are boxed in by walls and not large open dark spaces. From what I understood, the ride mechanics weren't changed in anyway so it wouldn't actually be any faster. Think of how you feel when driving on the interstate with wide open spaces beside you vs. driving on the interstate in a construction area where you're right against tall concrete pylons. People tend to slow down in the latter situation because of that illusion of going faster than you truly are. Same concept.

Me personally, I've watched two or three videos of the new version and I am unbelievably excited to ride it next week. I loved the old version but it was getting tired. Any time they take an attraction and essentially keep it the same but update the "story" I'm in favor of it. A refresh without a demolition is a positive in my book. I felt the same about SSE's refurb(s) and Energy's (though that is another one that is now in need of a refresh).

Dads 2 Boys

I rode it 3x just a couple of weeks ago and it was my first times on the new version. I held off on forming an opinion until actually being on it. Now that I have.......I'm still unsure of how I feel about it. I liked the "story" from before but it go so run down it needed a change but now there seems to be very little of a story. Now it seems more of a "sit and ride" with lighting effects and very much a Tron feel.

The one thing that really disappointed me was they ruined the "truck surprise". Not having the actual headlights ruins the surprise.

luv

Original Poster
My issue with the truck is that it doesn't fit the ride in any way. If I didn't know it was a left-over from the old ride, I'd have been thinking, "What the hell was that?"

There you are, riding around in the dark with 80s-style neon lights around and then, suddenly and for a second, there is a truck in the dark, neon universe. It makes no sense. It pulled me out of the new ride and into the old one and it just really doesn't fit. IMO. Up until then, I was experiencing the new ride. Suddenly I'm thinking, "They kept the truck?! Why?! What does the truck have to do with any of this?"

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They should turn the place into the World of Motion Pavilion featuring World of Motion Upstairs, a much more intence outdoor vershion of Test Track and a Inage Worls type setup where you dont with a bunch of racing games, dezign stations and other features that havent made it to the top of my head. On the other hand, I think this new Test Track is more appropiate for the Epcot Center setting and they do need a thrill ride in Future World.

Clamman73

My issue with the truck is that it doesn't fit the ride in any way. If I didn't know it was a left-over from the old ride, I'd have been thinking, "What the hell was that?"

True...They should've kept the cold and hot simulations while doing something different with the truck - not sure what though...Probably some budget constraints or something. Creative differences... *shrugs*

Timekeeper

Surely y
Hands up for World of Motion?

Surely you don't meant to suggest that this

wom-3.jpg

actually has more soul than this

test-track-628.jpg

We all know that nothing appeals to the imagination better than darkness, neon-looking lights, and video projections of rain. No attraction encapsulates Walt's visions for the theme park experience better than Tron Track. Get your head right.

o_O

Sumrdog

I rode it on Monday. I took the single rider line so I completely missed the design your own vehicle portion of the ride. I wasn't even aware of what I had missed out on until I was boarding the ride vehicle and saw the other guests swiping their cards.
Maybe I would've liked it better if I had gotten to do that part.

My overall feeling after riding was that I missed the old queue with the crash test dummies. And although they kept the same track they removed the bumpy uphill segment. Or I didn't notice it if it was there. All in all it wasn't bad, but I just think that the older version was more fun for me. More to look at. I am not one who really enjoys black lights and neon in the darkness, not since college anyway;). These days I like things that are more tangible and well lit.

ExtinctJenn

Loved loved loved the new version! Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion but it felt so much more "Epcot" to me than the original ever did. Don't get me wrong, loved the original too, but this was a great refurb in my opinion. I loved the queue (we noticed it felt like a lot shorter wait than it was because of everything to look at) and my DS6 absolutely loved the design portion of the ride and seeing how his car "placed" after each test.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom