So... how carried away do you get with your WDW trip planning?

Cowboy Steve

Just how obsessive and disruptive to normal daily life is your pre-trip planning regiment? Being an analytical and compulsive planner, it was only natural that I would start to get a little carried away with the planning stages of our trips. Each trip my planning gets a little more involved. I'm sure I am an entry-level Disney pre-planner so I'm looking forward to what other folks do to organize and plan their trips! As we only can afford to come, at most, once a year, I try to make sure we maximize our experience!

Disney vacations are a family tradition for us. We first visited WDW in 1972 - I was 6 and my sister was 2. We lost count of the early visits, but we figure we are at around 14 visits - including 3 visits since 2011 (this year will make 4). Our recent return to Disney vacations was my mother's idea. She enjoys vacationing with my sister and I. And since we love to plan the vacation, she just sits back and let's us handle the planning. All the recent trips have been between Thanksgiving and Christmas - with the last 2 being the week after Thanksgiving. This year's trip will be the same time. We have learned a lot from those recent trips!

Mom always wanted to see the parks decorated for the Holidays, so in 2011 she planted the idea of going in December. Turns out we loved that trip sooo much, we have returned during that time period every trip since!

STEP ONE - Resort selection. In 2011 we stayed at the Port Orleans - French Quarter and LOVED it! We returned in 2012 and stayed there again. In 2014 we wanted to try something new and selected Coronado Springs. We didn't care for that location only because of the distance we were from the food court, front desk, store etc. For this year's stay we started our trip planning by making a 'short list' of new resorts we wanted to try. I, of course, made a spreadsheet. Complete with links to the various resorts:

After a long and somewhat exhaustive 'family meeting', we selected our resort for this year: Caribbean Beach Resort! Our first choice was going to be our first time at a Deluxe Resort - the Wilderness Lodge. But, after finding out the pool area would be closed during our trip, we decided to go with option 2 - CBR. We are rarely at the hotel, so it was hard to justify the cost of the Deluxe Resorts... but with a full 'rest day' scheduled in the middle of our stay, we thought we would try one. A day to rest around the pool is just what the doctor ordered on an 8 day trip! Since the pool at WL was going to be OOS, we opted to go back to a moderate resort. We went with a 'Preferred' room so we could be close to the main buildings (pool, food court, store, etc).

So... how nutso am I? My next post (if there is interest) will cover the current 12 tab spreadsheet and the lengths we went to selecting TS meals and making reservations for the trip!

Please! Share your pre-planning process! Please let me know I'm not alone... lol

Last edited:

BAChicagoGal

The older I get, the more I need to tell myself to plan rest periods into my days. Fastpass Plus is a positive improvement for me, because I don't always have to arrive each and every day at rope drop anymore. I try not to follow a late night, by an early morning. I used to do commando when I was young, but i'm not young anymore. I also don't park hop anymore either. Disney World has gotten way more expensive than I like, but I consider myself lucky when I can visit. My next trip is with six other people, and it's difficult traveling with that many people. Too many people who most likely will disagree with what I have planned, so besides our daily fast passes, and a few ADR's I can see a lot of splitting up. Nothing wrong with that. Although, a lot of families/groups don't approve of splitting up, for me, it's a necessity for my sanity. I love my friends, but I need my alone time. It's my vacation too.

Upvote 0

morningstar

I plan which park(s) I'll go to each day around EMH, which doesn't necessarily mean going to the park with EMH. Sometimes it means going to the park without morning EMH, since it will have lower crowds, especially if we don't want to get up early that morning.

I plan what attraction we'll rope-drop, and therefore what path we'll take through the park. I plan park hops, for example from an early-closing park to one with evening EMH, and often plan a stopover on the park hop. It's a good time to go to a restaurant in a resort other than your own, since you can get there directly from the park and then get directly to the next park. For example if you want to go to Ohana, a day you'll be at either MK or Epcot is good, so you can ride the monorail.

Upvote 0

Gurt

This is the 1st time I have used a spreadsheet I am liking it, here is mine not quite complete yet.
Untitled.png
Untitled1.png

Upvote 0

Gurt

Wow! That is spectacular! I love it! I am so stealing some of your ideas... lol
:jawdrop:
Thanks @Cowboy Steve iv never used one before but I am loving it feel free to steal away I pinched some ideas from others I had seen it feels so much neater and compact than my previous planning which was a list in word that had a page per day and I love someone's previous idea of taking a picture on your phone and having it as your screen saver

Upvote 0

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@Cowboy Steve , I'm enjoying the battle of the spreadsheet planning wizards in your thread here! :joyfull: (Even though I don't plan much at all for WDW, I like seeing how other people approach their itineraries.)

Basically, I find that reading these types of threads to be uplifting and cheerful -- a nice break from the reality of the "real" world, outside the "bubble" of WDW! ;) :) Carry on!

Upvote 0

daringstoic

OMG I'm so glad I'm not the only one who obsessively plans trips! I'm a natural planner and spreadsheet lover, so I think it's a big part of the fun. I'm taking my boyfriend for the first time in a few weeks and I showed him my 6-tab spreadsheet and I'm pretty sure he's terrified now. (Although that may have more to do with the fact that I put "Please remind me that I've done everything a million times already if I get too crazy" in all caps at the top of the "To-do" tab than my intense organization.) I have a color-coded tab with the park schedules, FP times, and major show schedules, one that I made to determine whether or not we should do the dining plan (half of it done based on what I would realistically order at each dining location if I was paying out of pocket ie. not dessert every time and not a steak at BOG and the other half to calculate what we'd likely order if we were on the DP), a packing list divided into carry-on, suitcase, and need-to-buy categories, a to-do list, a tab with the attractions at each park that we marked with our initials for what we were most interested in, and a list of "Must-dos" that I made of places that are awesome or special to me for sentimental reasons.

I may have also been obsessively checking the Disney app to see if I can tweak dining reservations multiple times a day for the last two weeks. I think the planning and reservation hunting is the only thing that's going to get me through the next couple of weeks.

Upvote 0

Second Star to the Right

OMG I'm so glad I'm not the only one who obsessively plans trips! I'm a natural planner and spreadsheet lover, so I think it's a big part of the fun. I'm taking my boyfriend for the first time in a few weeks and I showed him my 6-tab spreadsheet and I'm pretty sure he's terrified now. (Although that may have more to do with the fact that I put "Please remind me that I've done everything a million times already if I get too crazy" in all caps at the top of the "To-do" tab than my intense organization.) I have a color-coded tab with the park schedules, FP times, and major show schedules, one that I made to determine whether or not we should do the dining plan (half of it done based on what I would realistically order at each dining location if I was paying out of pocket ie. not dessert every time and not a steak at BOG and the other half to calculate what we'd likely order if we were on the DP), a packing list divided into carry-on, suitcase, and need-to-buy categories, a to-do list, a tab with the attractions at each park that we marked with our initials for what we were most interested in, and a list of "Must-dos" that I made of places that are awesome or special to me for sentimental reasons.

I may have also been obsessively checking the Disney app to see if I can tweak dining reservations multiple times a day for the last two weeks. I think the planning and reservation hunting is the only thing that's going to get me through the next couple of weeks.

I love it! Any chance of sharing your spresheet tabs on here as well? I like the idea of the list for things you need to buy, pack, etc. Right now I am just working off a Note tab on my phone for packing items, but I think I am going to order several things beforehand and have them shipped to our hotel and that would help keep it all organized in one place.

Ditto to the scaring of the boyfriend. I am in the exact same situation. He's never been to Disney though and doesn't understand just how much there is to do/see/eat. He's been to Universal a few times now and it just pales in comparison to the pre-planning that needs to be done at Disney.

Upvote 0

daringstoic

I love it! Any chance of sharing your spresheet tabs on here as well? I like the idea of the list for things you need to buy, pack, etc. Right now I am just working off a Note tab on my phone for packing items, but I think I am going to order several things beforehand and have them shipped to our hotel and that would help keep it all organized in one place.

Ditto to the scaring of the boyfriend. I am in the exact same situation. He's never been to Disney though and doesn't understand just how much there is to do/see/eat. He's been to Universal a few times now and it just pales in comparison to the pre-planning that needs to be done at Disney.
I'm actually leaving on my trip tonight and I don't think I'll have time to do it before then, but I'll try to remember when I get back. My to do and to buy lists are pretty bare because I was just deleting things when I did them instead of crossing them off (which would've been a better idea so I didn't end up with multiple ponchos and packages of batteries) but you can get the gist of it.

Upvote 0

Second Star to the Right

I'm actually leaving on my trip tonight and I don't think I'll have time to do it before then, but I'll try to remember when I get back. My to do and to buy lists are pretty bare because I was just deleting things when I did them instead of crossing them off (which would've been a better idea so I didn't end up with multiple ponchos and packages of batteries) but you can get the gist of it.

Have an amazing trip!!!

Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

Original Poster
Have a great time!!!! I'm still 140 days out! :D

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

I'm not a very good planner. Whenever I think about going to Disney I go to the website look at discounts and dates I like then 1-3 months before whatever dates I pick, I'll book a room only. Sometimes a week before we leave I will add dining plan. Usually the day I book I will make a few dining reservations like OHANA dinner...and a character breakfast
I hate picking the park days with FP a month out but I do it just so I get at least 1 or 2 of my first choice attractions
Then I will shop for new Disney clothes...
Then it's time to go and once I arrive usually everything changes except for the OHANA ADR... I rarely will sacrifice OHANA...
And of course when everything changes I'll be annoyed that I wasted time planning and my group couldn't execute the plan.. But it won't really matter because whatever I don't get done I just tell myself next time...

Upvote 0

Boknowsleo

I'm obsessed with the planning process. I start about a year and a half from the day we leave for Disney World. My early plans change so much from the final product that it makes me wonder why I start so early. I chart everything...pressed coin machines I haven't been to yet, commute times, show times, fast pass times, dining reservations, daily eatery lists, daily budgeting list, ride closures and on and on. A year before I leave I know which days I will be at certain parks and check wait times for rides....it's a scary obsession! As each trip passes I find that my knowledge of the parks helps us wait in lines less, spend less money and take breaks more. I think my obsession happens because we only go once every three years and WDW changes a lot in that span. No trip is ever the same . It's fun though and I wouldn't change a thing.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom